• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat M1100 Turbo

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Not a turbo kit

I probably have missed this somewhere but what turbo kit is the cat running?

Like the title. don't know who supplies the turbo maybe mitsubishi,,, pretty sure it's not one of the after market companies in the states.... She's factory baby!

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Be wary of these claims of 285 hp with just a fuel remap. The sled is running 13 lbs. of boost stock to reach 177 hp. That means your looking at around 24-26 lbs. of boost to even approach 285 hp. :face-icon-small-sho

All the boost guys should know that little turbo will not efficiently push those kinds of numbers, (and who knows about the motor) without building excessive heat, especially when pulling 1000 vertical feet in 3 feet of fresh. It's as simple as that.

....Just like any high hp mod, it's going to cost more than people think to build that kind of performance.

I'm not saying it isn't a sic platform to work from.....just trying to keep it real.

Last edited:
P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
had a very long B.S session with a cat dealer last night who's been boosting up the new cats , short tracks of course . the remap will only get you 240 hp . any thing over that and its pretty much a new turbo kit . but there is lots of cool little things you can go to these sleds to make them rock

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I love this Cat turbo, and I have never had any use for cats. I think I might grab one and see what they can be turned in to.
Yamaha has set the bar for turbo sleds, but at a huge cost. Not sure i would want to push that twin too hard with boost, but the racers are running huge boost numbers.
I have a Polaris, so why not add a cat? :face-icon-small-ton

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
all those HP numbers are "BS"

every tech guys with bit hardware knowledge will tell you that you can blow up a engine to 500hp but only for minutes. so i think most of us want to ride their sled for the whole season?

there are serious limits on the 1100 engine, it need serious changes to run that engine save on 240-250hp. rising boost and fuel is not "smart" modding

do not believe all that forum "BS"

Be wary of these claims of 285 hp with just a fuel remap. The sled is running 13 lbs. of boost stock to reach 177 hp. That means your looking at around 24-26 lbs. of boost to even approach 285 hp. :face-icon-small-sho

All the boost guys should know that little turbo will not efficiently push those kinds of numbers, (and who knows about the motor) without building excessive heat, especially when pulling 1000 vertical feet in 3 feet of fresh. It's as simple as that.

....Just like any high hp mod, it's going to cost more than people think to build that kind of performance.

I'm not saying it isn't a sic platform to work from.....just trying to keep it real.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I love this Cat turbo, and I have never had any use for cats. I think I might grab one and see what they can be turned in to.
Yamaha has set the bar for turbo sleds, but at a huge cost. Not sure i would want to push that twin too hard with boost, but the racers are running huge boost numbers.
I have a Polaris, so why not add a cat? :face-icon-small-ton

I figured since you USETOBEDOO you would SOONTOBEDOO ....SOONTOBECAT dosen't have the same ring...hahah

P

Pro116

Apr 19, 2008
had a very long B.S session with a cat dealer last night who's been boosting up the new cats , short tracks of course . the remap will only get you 240 hp . any thing over that and its pretty much a new turbo kit . but there is lots of cool little things you can go to these sleds to make them rock

Thast b.s.
Where running 30lbs of boost on the stock turbo on my buddies sled but that is with a straight exhast and the waste gate shimmed and for 1/4 mile or less pulls.Without shimming the wastegate you can get 26lbs of boost which is right at the 300hp mark.But in long pulls if will throw codes but not effect the sled this for 1/4 mile or less pulls.The in jectors are only good for 26lbs of boost after that they run super lean.You can get a respectable 285hp out of them.Enough with the hear say stuff.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Thast b.s.
Where running 30lbs of boost on the stock turbo on my buddies sled but that is with a straight exhast and the waste gate shimmed and for 1/4 mile or less pulls.Without shimming the wastegate you can get 26lbs of boost which is right at the 300hp mark.But in long pulls if will throw codes but not effect the sled this for 1/4 mile or less pulls.The in jectors are only good for 26lbs of boost after that they run super lean.You can get a respectable 285hp out of them.Enough with the hear say stuff.

not being negative but you are talking a 10sec run down a track at minimal load your drive pressure must be huge at 30lbs with that turbo,now point that thing up a hill for 30 seconds in 3ft of pow then come down the hill & do it again then do it again.then tell me it will make 300hp reliably.you will need a bigger turbo to do that for sure otherwise you will just heat soak that motor &:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-sho

Last edited:
B
Dec 18, 2007
Something else to take in to consideration with a small turbo is how drastically thin air at altitude will effect their efficency. Cat used this turbo to keep the machine as resposive as possible and I will work great for the 170- 180 hp levels. You will not get a 250 HP mountain sled with the simple addition of a $500.00 efi controller the air flow will simply not be there.. That being said Cat has done a wonderfull job with this thing and I can't wait to throw a leg on one.

LL

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Thast b.s.

You are leaving a lot on the table by pushing that poor little turbo that hard. It will make high boost but a lot of heat as well, I do not know what size the compressor is, but physically the turbo looks small.

Guys that are serious will be running a 2860Rs garrett to get to 250hp

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Some good points made here.

At altitude, even a 2860 starts to breathe hard at anything over 18 lbs. I personally upgraded to a 2871 and notice a significant improvement up in the mountains. Even when running 15 lbs. the sled pulls harder and runs cooler, at the cost of some turbo responsiveness of course.

S

Spud

Mar 5, 2003
Lewistown,MT-USA
Good stuff here!
Thing is I notice in the industry is that everyone talks trash to each other lately except the Yamaha boys.

Last edited:

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
It's true, Yami guys seem to have a little more class than some when it comes to the bashing. God knows we have taken our share for the 4s we ride. For the record I've rode a MCX 310 lightweight Apex for the last 4 years.

At the expense of posting redundancy I have posted a fair bit on this subject on the ProClimb M forum. I rode the Cat demo ride, specifically the M1100T. I never ever got on a 2s there. For more on the sleds that were there have a look at my posts over there.

As far as how good the motor stands up is somewhat proven from the lake racer guys. It's not Apex tried and true but it's been 2 years on that motor and searches don't find a lot of issues with guys running bigger power. I know drag guys probably don't treat their ride as hard as we do, at least not for the amount of time we do. There are some pretty long lakes thou.....:face-icon-small-win

In some of my other posts I talk about my riding buddy who did the 350 kit on a stretched ZR1 and rode it this winter. Brief highlights are the Hijacker box is good for fuel to 280 but the stock turbo at 6000' is doing 16-17lbs max, so 220ish would be my guess. I rode it in this form. It laid a beat down on his 2011 M8 with 10lbs. We're talking ability to climb, not handling. We all know it's heavier, thank God we don't have to go over that on this forum. I was impressed. With the 2860 on it was mid 20's for boost, and there was room for more, which uses the full potential of the Hijacker.

I snow checked one based on the ride, and I couldn't ride the M chassis so good thing it didn't feel like that. If I hadn't rode it I sure wouldn't have thought I was riding anything else other than the Apex for next year.

For not much more than the cost of my MCX kit you can have the parts for a fully built motor, including cam and springs, and run 350 easily.....and reliably according to people working on these motors. It's the essentially the same build as the motor that laid down 471 at Dynotech by Glenn Hall.

Take it for what's it's worth. I'm just happy someone else has entered the 4s game to push the industry. The Nitro chassis didn't work with me so I was stuck in a holding pattern as far as my next sled. If you have a chance to ride one, regardless of the power, I think you'll be impressed.

I bleed Yami, it's treated me awesome, but in the end I guess I am just a 4s guy.:nod:

Hey Turblue, never saw the finished sled in white. Looks good. Just haven't been on for a couple years. You bought a hood from me 3? years ago.

Last edited:
Dear Arctic Cat

Thanks for the 1100 turbo we hope it puts a fire under Yamaha butt to give us a factory turbo. That being said if I had to ride a snowmobile to a remote mountain range and wanting to return home safely time and time again. There is only ONE Brand I would trust to do the job. YAMAHA !!!!!!!!!!!! all the way

Rode cat before moving to Yammiland. Got tired of towing Cats home. I love to ride snowmobiles not tow them back to the trailer.

It just doesn't matter how many times I read the book that darn turtle always wins the race.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC Canada
all those HP numbers are "BS"

every tech guys with bit hardware knowledge will tell you that you can blow up a engine to 500hp but only for minutes. so i think most of us want to ride their sled for the whole season?

there are serious limits on the 1100 engine, it need serious changes to run that engine save on 240-250hp. rising boost and fuel is not "smart" modding

do not believe all that forum "BS"

Don't forget this isn't a new motor. It's just in a new chassis. And it's good to 240 on pump gas 280 on race. Want more then you need a bigger turbo. It is nice to hear positive comments on the new 1100 turbo, can't wait to ride one. I'm a cat guy and I don't even go in the cat 4M anymore there is barely a good word said just a bunch of negativity. Everybody wanted a new sled, they got one and there still whining I don't get it. A 4 stoke must be a good motor u yammi guys haven't had anything new in a while and it's all smiles and sunshine. I guess it's less stressful when your not rebiulding motors and clutches every 500 to 1000 miles. Thanks guys!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
im stoked for the new cat, i currently am running a t-yami motor in a doo chassis and love the motor, the thing is ROCK solid, i beat it day in and day out and it still runs like its brand new.

as for the cats and the ability to just "turn it up"

more of a lessons on turbos than anything, most people think of a turbo is capable of xx#'s of boost. not at all, its capable of a certain pressure ratio. althought they make 20# of boost at lower altitude, to get the same boost #'s up high, you have to run a higher pressure ratio.. just guestimating some pressure ratio's and going up in elevation, i would say that everyone estimation of a 220-225 safe limit on the stock blower is a good prediction. thats a lot of power for most people and usually more then most peope will ever want/need.

if they hold up like the yami's do.. this is really gonna push the industry quite a bit.

Premium Features