• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polishing your Nytro Tunnel

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Have you used this stuff and seen that it really works??

zsp-9550r_w.jpg

Seal in your shine with these ZoopSeal protective sealer kits. Simply polish your aluminum, stainless steel, or chrome, and then apply ZoopSeal to seal in the shine and protect it against oxidation for two to three years. One of these kits will cover approximately 75 sq. ft. They can be used on cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, engines, interior accessories, and wheels.

Save yourself $90 and just buy some Mothers Aluminum polish. Like I said earlier, a good polish will last all season. A coat of wax after polishing works good too.

E

essexy

Jul 29, 2009
Ames, IA
I polished my tunnel this spring before putting it away for the season. I picked up some 3000 grit wet sand paper and went to town on it. I used a spray bottle of soapy water and the paper to hit every inch first. The floor boards are tough to get, but I did the best I could! Once that was complete, I hit it with a Mother's ball with Mother's Aluminum Polish. I went a head and hand polished again (I guess because I love punishing myself) because I wanted to try a new polish. I went with Meguiar's Mag & Aluminum Polish and was very impressed! A little trick; use a tooth brush to in between the gaps on the floor board. It turned out very well. Worth the 6 hrs....:face-icon-small-dis The first is before, and the second is after.

BEFORE.jpg AFTER.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I can't imagine the time it would take to do it by HAND....
There are only so many days left till the snow falls.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
if your sleds sitting at shows, or for sale...it may be worth it...

i've done a few of my older sleds, just for 'something to do' during the off season.

other than that, its not worth it. :p

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
beer required

Come on man, this is a perfect opportunity for some quality bonding time between you, your machine, and say 6 - 12 beers.

Not that I'd do it personally, I seem to be into the scratched and dented look. It's apparent on all my vehicles...

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
angle grinder with a 3 inch wool pad for buffing, and mothers aluminium polish makes the tunnel like a mirror. one quick wipe over with a miracle towel after every ride keeps it lookin new.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Decided to take a stab at it just for kicks.

Last weekend at the Salt Lake City Snow Show there was a vendor selling this stuff.

FPPA.jpg

FLTWB201.jpg

So I bought some of the polish and one of the buffing balls.
While this stuff DOES polish the tunnel and make it BRIGHT, it does so only on the absolute surface of the metal!

I found it very hard to get rid of any significant marks, like where the rear brake light line had laid on the tunnel for the last year.

On the other hand, if you had polished your tunnel with a real disk and some compound, I would bet this stuff would bring it back to full luster in just MINUTES, as it was very easy to use and brought the aluminum to a fast shine with little or no effort at all.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
While the flitz made it shiney, it really didn't take out any of the surface abrasion or scratches, it just polished the top layer.

Next I broke out the buffer..

picture.php

picture.php

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
My daughter polished her Nytro last spring and rode all season and the shine held up. I did notice a benefit of it being polished, the snow didn't stick as much to her sled as it did to mine. I would say it had 50% less snow on the tunnel than mine did. We both ride 2008 Nytro's.

Premium Features