• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OVS PROPANE TURBO KIT

R
Aug 30, 2008
Radski this is not a lets race thread. It is a thread about finding a inexpensive solution to having to run race gas. There are alot of people that can not get race gas because there government has stopped the sale of leaded fuels. I do not believe you can pull up to a fueling station and buy pump gas for $1.99 a gallon, let alone race gas. That is what the propane costs to run at 14lbs of boost. If are government gets a wild hair and stops leaded race gas sales we will be in the same boat as others are in Canada. This means pump gas with low boost or pump gas and try to carry five quarts of Octane Supreme 130 or Klotz Fire to make ten gallons of race gas out of 91 octane pump gas. The propane is alot cheaper option and alot easier to get.

Pure Logic Tuning: I agree that this is not a "lets race thread" Though I do think that Propane is a cool Idea, I want to know how well it runs. For Example, If I turn my M7 to 10 PSI (Pump Gas) or 12 PSI(which runs on Av Fuel) and the propane set up is way more unreliable and/or puts out slower Track speed, or is harder to tune, or burns down every 3 rides, then my question is: WHY would I want to run a propane kit and spend 7,000.00, when it has only had a couple hundred miles of serious hillclimbing, testing done to it. WHY would I want to purchase a propane set up that is as fast as a Pump Gas set up(racing my m7 would prove whether or not it runs as well...10 PSI to 14 PSI on Propane). All I am asking for is: This kit is 7000.00, its a cool Idea, But I MUST insist that you allow customers like me to do their due diligence do make the best purchase descision available.. Side by side comparisons are the best way to accomplish this.

BTW, I spend about 3,000.00 per year on propane, and I can tell you in Idaho Falls, Idaho it is most certainly NOT 1.99/gallon. Average price in IF for propane is 2.85 per gallon. This is what my average price was last year as well.

Please, all I ask, is let me do my due dilegence. It would be VERY stupid for me to look at this as: Travis and Garr I know you are way to COOL, and you have been around a long time...let me invest in everything you say, do and ride, this idea is off the hook, its a slam dunk, and it is going to so reliable and so great ALL BECAUSE TRAVIS AND GARR SAID IT WOULD.

I like the idea, I have inquired of a lot of resources about it. I am seriously looking at it for my 1200 Turbo, but I will not buy into LIP SERVICE.

Meet me in Tonys Grove for some real testing and let me see what this is all about. Lets climb some chutes, lets race, lets boondock, and lets see if this is going to perform. If it does, I will get one for my 1200.

I like the idea, especiallly when I can put a grill in my back pack and hook it up to the tanks and have a Weenie roast.

Thanks

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well i think that since OVS is offering anyone that wants to...the chance to ride their propane sled...that a person can find out easily how well the sled runs.I cannot see any reason to have another boosted race gas sled there to compare..the reason i would try out the propane sled is to feel the differance between it and stock .... the comparison to fuel boosted sleds is not in the equation,...at least in what i would be looking for and i think in what they are offering...i think that the free rides indicate nothing really to hide..its just what ever the consumer wants to consider...and i feel at least to me that im not interested in the differance betwween two boosted sleds...im interested in the differance between the boosted and stock..jmo...keep up the good work PureLogic

P

Pure Logic Tuning

Dec 3, 2007
www.purelogictuning.com
Radski we were at Tony's all day yesterday sorry you could not make it. This is how the day went pulled the sled off the trailer and went riding and the sled was ridin by a customer and friend all day. We never had to touch the sled it runs that reliable. We raced it alot against a other turbo M8, turbo gas Nytro, turbo 800 polaris. It was great racing and the sled's all went back and forth on wins. This is what we wanted to see and the sled runs with these sled's neck and neck. O all of the other sled's were all running 14llbs of boost or more. Thanks to everyone there it was a great time.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Propane is a great fuel , it has a mon of 97 octane , but your range goes to s#it.
So the question is , compared to a gasoline set up what is the range lose in a % compared to your propane set up.

P

Pure Logic Tuning

Dec 3, 2007
www.purelogictuning.com
The range of this sled has not been affected by switching to propane it actually gets 15% better mileage than the M-8 Turbo on race gas. This comes from better tunability with propane not having to use a factory ecu that was not programmed to a turbo charged application. Propane can provide 104 motor octane fuel in a vapor form without the waste of gasoline powered engines that have to atomize and become vapor for the engine to burn.

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
how many miles do you have on your propane setup without failure so far seems like an interesting option

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Pardon my ignorance but I am trying to picture how the 2 stroke oil is getting into the engine? It is normaly injected with the fuel correct?

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
Thank you guys for answering all these questions so patiently, this is new technology and is bound to have it's skeptics. I like the idea that I might be able to run less boost at sea level and have tunability without having to change the head when I go out to wyoming. Does that sound like it would work? It sounds like any turbo I run will need to have a lower compression head to run any kind of boost at sea level.

Without giving away any secrets can you give us an idea what the fuel system is like? I have an idea how a car propane vapor system works where heat from the coolant helps vaporize liquid propane but it sounds like you are injecting it directly into the air stream...Are they electronic injectors or???

Will it run upside down the same as a stock M? Is the tank baffled or something to prevent it from sucking vapor when it is getting low and sloshing around or upside down?

Can you quick change the tanks and keep a full one in the trailer? I can't imagine how far away the nearest propane filling station is from where I want to ride but I know I could easily burn off over a tank in a day.

Do you have a quick way to get the tank to 80% full from a 100 pounder in the trailer? If the receiving tank was warmer then the supply it would be nearly impossible to get it filled without a pump.

I really like the idea that as opposed to putting $3 road fuel gasoline in an off road vehicle, I could put $1.69 home heating non taxed fuel in my off-road vehicle. I should have a propane turbo setup on everything I own! Do you make one for a cub cadet:)

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
the octane rating of propane is about 130, or the equivalent of WWII130 avgas

which is now 100LL avgas.

P

Pure Logic Tuning

Dec 3, 2007
www.purelogictuning.com
Johnmaster the turbo kit will work for sea leval and high alltitude you will have to adjust your boost leval to a lower value when you are at low elevation. The sled has a mixer and a convertor and uses the coolant to vaprize the propane. There is no injectors in the sled anymore. This is why the tuning is so easy. The factory ECU and injectors are taken out of the system. You will make one adjustment for idle and one adjustment for top end and you are done tuning. The sled if rolled upside down still runs just like a stock sled. The sled runs on vapor so it does not matter if the tank sends vapor to the mixer. You can quick change tanks with a spare tank or you can fill from a 100 gallon tank in a truck or trailer very easy and get the tank full. We charge are fill tank with a small compressor if the recieving tank is warmer than the fill tank. We also buy the non road taxed propane because it is so much cheaper than road fuel.

M

mngoat

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Travis, you guys working on a dragon model???? Ready for fall 2010???? I just got mine running well end of this year so now i need to change something :)

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
Travis, you guys working on a dragon model???? Ready for fall 2010???? I just got mine running well end of this year so now i need to change something :)

Mike....Dang you can sell me your dragon cheap now :)

G
Jan 16, 2008
Mantua utah
travis I seen the sled at tonys and is a cool idea but when I was there the first thing told to the riders was do not get out of the throttle very fast just roll out of it. Has that problem been fixed to where you can ride it like a gas turbo????

4mcntrls

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Drayton Valley Alberta
Pure Logic Tuning said:
Radski we were at Tony's all day yesterday sorry you could not make it. This is how the day went pulled the sled off the trailer and went riding and the sled was ridin by a customer and friend all day. We never had to touch the sled it runs that reliable. We raced it alot against a other turbo M8, turbo gas Nytro, turbo 800 polaris. It was great racing and the sled's all went back and forth on wins. This is what we wanted to see and the sled runs with these sled's neck and neck. O all of the other sled's were all running 14llbs of boost or more. Thanks to everyone there it was a great time.

How about some of you guy that have been around or rode this beast chim in and give us somemore feedback on the performance and ridability? I am really looking at one of these for the simplicity but would still like more feedback before taking the plunge.

P

Pure Logic Tuning

Dec 3, 2007
www.purelogictuning.com
The LP system had a broken blow-off valve not allowing the boost to be blown off when the throttle was chopped. We let people ride it and warned them not to chop the throttle until we could get to the shop and replace it. We replaced the valve had it back up back in tony's for people to ride a week later and the throttle response is perfect. You can not tell the difference between the LP systems throttle response vs a race gas systems throttle response. Beware if you are comparing throttle response the older M-8 have more grunt in the bottom end. The 2010 M-8 porting has been raised 2.5mm this costs the 2010 sled's bottom end grunt but makes it up in more midrange and top end.

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
How is the install? Good picture instructions... I can do fab (welding/cutting) work no problem, but have never installed a turbo myself yet. The sea-level feature and non-race gas has me sold, and the transferring from the 100lb bottle just topped it off! Just gotta send the deposit and find a sled for next season! :face-icon-small-hap

T
Nov 26, 2007
I'm the lucky customer/friend that got to spend the day on this sled( I'm really sorry that your employees didn't show up to work Garr and you had to stay home...:Cry: whateva)
I have a 07 M8 with a OVS turbo kit on it that I run at 15lbs all the time..so when Garr tells me he has to stay home and just take his sled cuz it's already full of fuel and mine is empty how can I argue with that...
I actually got to ride this about a day and a half... being the skinny guy I got to do alot of racin on it one day and spent a full day of riding it on another day..we had about 5" of fresh spring snow but was still able to do some in and out of it tree riding,sum hill climbing and some racing...what I really liked about this propane sled was while the other guys where out tunin their box's..changing their spark plugs..then more tuning to beat me(including alot of turns on the boost controller) I touched nothing..would fire it up and race or go play in the tree's... My only complaint is it was kinda hard to start,like 3 to 5 pulls to get it to fire..by the end of the day I was finding the sweet spot in the throttle and could get it to fire in 2 to 3 pulls..,.

Premium Features