• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can 4 strokes boondock like 2 strokes?

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
Love Breathe, but can tell you, he will blast you for it not being tight trees...which it really isnt...

Will see if I can get some footage this year from a helmet cam...

Agreed, but even his video was not really shot in tight trees. You can't really shoot good video in tight trees. Even Brandt's lines in his video are staged and very short because of inability to shoot in tight areas. It wouldn't matter how tight the trees where in any video, that's not the answer he's looking for. He's not really looking for an answer, he's looking for a fight., and I'm always game for a good fight. LOL.

I do think this year is going to be a break through year because of this issue. I know several guys shooting video's on 4 strokes for no other reason than to prove this point. It's an issue that's been brewing since 06. My guess would be after some of the videos break this year if you still have to ask this question you truly are to dumb to learn.

Last edited:

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
I guess my idea of boondocking is a little different then what I saw in the two video's posted above. I live in Idaho and we have a lot of tight trees so to me boondocking is much more then doing some powder turns on an open hill. The video I posted below has some footage of the boondocking I am talking about but even most of it is not quite as tight as a lot of stuff we play in. I guess the only way I will find out if I like one is to ride one. Anybody want to lend their turboed nytro out for the weekend so I can scratch the **** out of it in the trees?

So does anybody have some real footage of these high horse yammies in the tight trees?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGd1JPidWnE

Bwaaah! The only tree riding I saw on that vid was @1.32
Looked pretty darn open otherwise. If thats your idea of tree riding or boondocking youll be fine on just about any sled. It all comes down to your riding skills and what sled works for you. I will tell you this though. I would take a TNytro over a M1000 in tight trees anyday.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah.. onces you learn to let the power do the work... life gets much easier. you can fight it or go with it.. when you go with it life is easy!!

you can ride the piss out of the m1000 and will get throught the trees.. but if you embrace the power of the 4 banger... you will be impressed. I know I am.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Spur you couldn't be more wrong. I am not try to stir the pot I am honestly looking for a more powerful and more reliable sled and the 4-stroke is the only direction I can go that will fulfill both of those requirement. My problem is I live and ride in Idaho and we dont have big wide open area's which means 90% of my riding is boondocking. If I can make a 4-stroke boondock like my 1000 I would be more then willing to swap sleds as I am sick and tired of buying belts and being under powered. I am not brand loyal or stroke loyal infact this M1000 is my first sled and the first 2-stroke I have ever owned and the only reason I bought it was because it was the most powerful stocker I could buy.

I hope there are some new videos coming out that will show the yammies in the trees I actually think there is a knitch in the video market right now for that type of riding with the 4-strokes. I will admit that I don't watch or buy very many sled video's but I do see almost all of the teasers that come out and from what I have seen the majority of the 4-stroke footage is point and shoot or powder turns in open areas.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Spur you couldn't be more wrong. I am not try to stir the pot I am honestly looking for a more powerful and more reliable sled and the 4-stroke is the only direction I can go that will fulfill both of those requirement. My problem is I live and ride in Idaho and we dont have big wide open area's which means 90% of my riding is boondocking. If I can make a 4-stroke boondock like my 1000 I would be more then willing to swap sleds as I am sick and tired of buying belts and being under powered. I am not brand loyal or stroke loyal infact this M1000 is my first sled and the first 2-stroke I have ever owned and the only reason I bought it was because it was the most powerful stocker I could buy.

I hope there are some new videos coming out that will show the yammies in the trees I actually think there is a knitch in the video market right now for that type of riding with the 4-strokes. I will admit that I don't watch or buy very many sled video's but I do see almost all of the teasers that come out and from what I have seen the majority of the 4-stroke footage is point and shoot or powder turns in open areas.

where you ride, is where the majority of people replying to you ride...we are, as the crow flies, less than 50 miles...

I have ridden N. ID, and live in the Flathead Valley (Kalispell area) and ride pretty much exclusively with other T-Nytro riders...we tend to go a few places others cant get, and not because of point and shoot...

I will try and go get one of those GoPro cameras, and post some video...but the reality is, most people will only poke holes at whatever you post...and triples is right, there was not a whole lot of tree riding in that link...and the reason there is not a lot of footage, is it is impossible to film segments in the trees, regardless of engine style....

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
This is pretty funny. Your comparing a big fat a$$ M-1000 to a 4 stroke for boondocking. Thats pretty funny ! A turbo Yammy will ride circles around that big hunk of turd all day long ! If you think a M1000 is a tight free riding machine compared to Yamaha you need to get off the crack pipe.

Its all about the rider and very little to do with the sled. You guys keep mentioning Burandt, that guy can make any sled look good in the trees, whether its a Kitty Kat or a M-1000. Its kinda like a friend of mine in Revy, he always gives me the gears about my Yammy and is always telling me to come and ride with him and he will show me how his XP will make me look stupid. He probably is right because he has like 2000 rides on the same hill and is a very fluid rider, he would make most riders look stupid. Its the rider not the sled !

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
where you ride, is where the majority of people replying to you ride...we are, as the crow flies, less than 50 miles...

I have ridden N. ID, and live in the Flathead Valley (Kalispell area) and ride pretty much exclusively with other T-Nytro riders...we tend to go a few places others cant get, and not because of point and shoot...

I will try and go get one of those GoPro cameras, and post some video...but the reality is, most people will only poke holes at whatever you post...and triples is right, there was not a whole lot of tree riding in that link...and the reason there is not a lot of footage, is it is impossible to film segments in the trees, regardless of engine style....

Some helmet cam footage would be great I think that's the only way to truly get good boondocking footage. The only problem with the helmet cams is that they don't do a very good job of putting the terrain into perspective.

I wish there were more people around this area that rode tuboed yammies but they are far and few and even fewer of them are aggressive riders so my encounters are nil. Trust me if money wasn't the problem I would have a T-Nytro just for the sake but I am currently stuck with an 08M1K that I would be lucky to get $4500 out of with the current sled market. I guess if the market was up I would be paying more for the T-Nytro but lets face it I don't have the extra 7K laying around right now.

WakeGD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Not once has anyone I ride with said, well we can't go there because the big heavy four stroke can't boondock. 95% of the time either I or my riding buddy on his supercharged Nytro are leading our boondocking adventures. And although I do enjoy climbing, it is probably only 10-20% of my riding. In fact, its pretty much the expectation that one of the boosted yamaha's "makes a path" for the rest of the group.

In fact, my brothers who have sledded their whole lives with me both have stated they will never buy a 2 stroke again because they don't see the point. If you can have huge reliable hp, virtually no belt issues (one belt has failed on me under boost and it was worn out), and go anywhere you want in 3' of powder why go back?

I wish I had video of the terrain I ride in (central Idaho), but I'm too busy having fun.

I know you're asking about a turbo nytro, but don't rule out the superchargers, once setup all the boost options out there flat out rock.

Oh, and apparently I no longer have a signature, but I ride a supercharged Apex at 12lbs.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Not once has anyone I ride with said, well we can't go there because the big heavy four stroke can't boondock. 95% of the time either I or my riding buddy on his supercharged Nytro are leading our boondocking adventures. And although I do enjoy climbing, it is probably only 10-20% of my riding. In fact, its pretty much the expectation that one of the boosted yamaha's "makes a path" for the rest of the group.

In fact, my brothers who have sledded their whole lives with me both have stated they will never buy a 2 stroke again because they don't see the point. If you can have huge reliable hp, virtually no belt issues (one belt has failed on me under boost and it was worn out), and go anywhere you want in 3' of powder why go back?

I wish I had video of the terrain I ride in (central Idaho), but I'm too busy having fun.

I know you're asking about a turbo nytro, but don't rule out the superchargers, once setup all the boost options out there flat out rock.

Oh, and apparently I no longer have a signature, but I ride a supercharged Apex at 12lbs.

I ride McCall almost every weekend we should hook up sometime. I would like to see these 4-strokes perform.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I ride McCall almost every weekend we should hook up sometime. I would like to see these 4-strokes perform.

wait a minute...McCall...heavily treed? maybe certain areas of it...but ummmm...it is HARDLY what would be considered heavily treed...

So, come on over to the Flathead, and we will show you tree riding with boost :)

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
wait a minute...McCall...heavily treed? maybe certain areas of it...but ummmm...it is HARDLY what would be considered heavily treed...

So, come on over to the Flathead, and we will show you tree riding with boost :)

Your right McCall is not nearly as heavily treed as the area's I ride in North Idaho but if you go looking in some of the steeper terrain you can get yourself into some trouble. Where do you guys primarily ride out of Kalispell?

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
I have owned turboed 4 strokes and ride an xp now. If you are into tight tree riding, like gaps of trees at 40-50 inches then I think a 4st turbo is not the best choice. In our neck of the woods the trees aren't get any smaller and for that reason the areas are continuing to get tighter. I will say if I rode in canada all the time, I would only ride a Turbo Yammy.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I think one thing that people should consider in this conversation is setup.. you can have a turbo yami that would be a dog to do anything but hill shoot. I know I have my skid setup to be easy to hop around in the woods. but its kidna scary on long WOT pulls, it likes to flip over a little. If you had a sled setup to only climb, it would be a dog in the woods only wanting to stay flat on the snow with the ski's down. I dont have huge gearing or track on mine so the power is pretty darn snappy, so its a HOOT to ride in the tight woods. the power is there fast, the torque of the 4 stroke when clutched properly pulls hard from a stop then just never ends. making it fun when you want to go uphill in the tight stuff.

I think there is a large crowd of t-4stroke owners who have to much $$ but still suck at riding, so they give them a bad name as they make it look like the sleds suck. A well setup one IMO with a good pilot is HARD to beat. they go good thought the tightest of tight, but can climb like a SOB when flipper is on the bar.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I think there is a large crowd of t-4stroke owners who have to much $$ but still suck at riding, so they give them a bad name as they make it look like the sleds suck.

Holy chit I think this is the most intelligent statement on this forum!!!

D
Mar 3, 2008
ok i guess a big open hill that you can keep your speed up is tree riding, tree riding in my mind would be where you can't keep your speed up because there is actually trees in the way, and the sled is just fitting between sometimes haveing to tip it a bit to get the sled to fit,all this while keeping on the throttle enough to not get stuck. anyway I own a xp and nytro and i would say no the nytro is not near as good in the trees but it can be done just take alot more effort , all the extra work kinda takes the fun out of it.also all this Burandt does this and that is makeing me ill learn to ride already.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
This is kind of a dumb thread ! For those who think 2 strokes can only boondock, have you ever heard the saying "A poor craftsman always blames his tools" ?
Some guys can ride and some guys think they can ride. You learn to ride what you own. I'm sure if you rode two stroke for a long time and made the switch you
would be riding the same terrain and areas that you always do. Too much brand loyalty !

Last edited:
E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
This is kind of a dumb thread ! For those who think 2 strokes can only boondock, have you ever heard the saying "A poor craftsman always blames his tools" ?
Some guys can ride and some guys think they can ride. You learn to ride what you own. I'm sure if you rode two stroke for a long time and made the switch you
would be riding the same terrain and areas that you always do. Too much brand loyalty !

Actually this is not a dumb thread. I have the Exact same question. I have an M1000. I also have a short track Apex. I love the Apex - by far the best engineered snowmobile I have ever owned, so I do see the advantage of the 4 stroke. My M1000 is approximately 65 lbs lighter than a stock Nytro. I would love to have an TApex or TNytro, but frankly I have a hard time believing that 65-150 extra lbs can be disguised. On a bottomless day, any sled feels light until it gets stuck - then they are all heavy. I would like to know how a Tapex or Tnytro is on a not so perfect day - boondocking when the snow is a little setup or other times when conditions are not ideal. The M1000 beats me up on these days. If I was only riding on perfect days, the M is just fine. I am sure a Yami would be fine. Unfortunately, the larger part of our riding is done on less than perfect days. So how are they on a mashed potato day - are they like a tank or can they still be thrown around like an M8?

Premium Features