• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real 850 Feedback from you guys!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I rode my buddy's and it is an awesome sled but it won't touch a turbo. Had my 850 turbo. He got a taste of that today at 9500 feet. Not even close. Both of us thought my alpha had more bottom end. Seat of the pants feel. It could be deceiving because the poo is so smooth and linear down low. It is the mid that it really comes on. I thought they were awesome for sure. I could easily ride one.

The alpha would nose dive as soon as you let off it to drive around obstacles the brake on it was a joke. When tipped over it took several pulls to start. 220 miles on it it's a rental maybe setting suspension would help. Lined the sleds up in 20 inches of new snow up hill 850 leaves them alpha is second till about 150 feet then the 800 axys would pass it. But it's a rental could be detuned. In tight trees boost with 3 in is hard to manage a comfortable speed for me. I also have a turbo in the trailer. Buddy that rented cat has 18 mtn cat was not impressed if he had been he would have bought on the spot but wanted to try one first. You are correct in that smooth power delivery is very deceiving.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The snow we were in today sucked. Everything was diving. Real handful to play in the trees. They were all doing it. My least favorite for that snow was my 850 turbo that I gave to my wife.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
After several trips Im at about 17 hours and 250 miles on mine, it has performed flawless.

1-3hrs-Not much more power then the 800, running about 7900RPM
4-8hours-Pickup up about 150RPM,starting to pull more like I expected it to.
8+hrs-The beast has awaken, much more power then the 800. 8250RPM all day at 9k', it feels like it keeps pulling forever and doesn't power down on climbs like the 800 sometimes would. This is by far my favorite MTN sled I have been on.

It took a day to get use to the react front end on the narrowest setting, but overall I am liking it and it is easy to ride. It might not be the best setup in spring time snow conditions though. I thought the stock W/E clicker shocks felt better then previous yrs shocks,I think they will satisfy most riders. I changed mine over to Raptor Kinetics after the first ride and there was a obvious improvement there.

One of my buddies I ride with put a Silber turbo on his 850 as soon as the sled had 100 miles on it. Let me tell you I think this 850 was built for boost, I have owned/riden several turbo sleds and this thing blew my mind. The first day it had the 5lb spring in it and it ran very strong but was still controllable. The 2nd day it had the 7lb spring and was pulling 78gram weights at 8500RPM, the skis spent a lot of time in the air and its boarder line uncontrollable to ride wide open in tree areas lol, my buddy had a blister on his hand from hanging onto it so tight all day. I spent about a hour riding it and and found myself laughing in my helmet at what this sled was capable of doing.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
After several trips Im at about 17 hours and 250 miles on mine, it has performed flawless.

8+hrs-The beast has awaken, much more power then the 800. 8250RPM all day at 9k', it feels like it keeps pulling forever and doesn't power down on climbs like the 800 sometimes would. This is by far my favorite MTN sled I have been on.

It took a day to get use to the react front end on the narrowest setting, but overall I am liking it and it is easy to ride. It might not be the best setup in spring time snow conditions though. I thought the stock W/E clicker shocks felt better then previous yrs shocks,I think they will satisfy most riders. I changed mine over to Raptor Kinetics after the first ride and there was a obvious improvement there.

One of my buddies I ride with put a Silber turbo on his 850 as soon as the sled had 100 miles on it. Let me tell you I think this 850 was built for boost, I have owned/riden several turbo sleds and this thing blew my mind. The first day it had the 5lb spring in it and it ran very strong but was still controllable. The 2nd day it had the 7lb spring and was pulling 78gram weights at 8500RPM, the skis spent a lot of time in the air and its boarder line uncontrollable to ride wide open in tree areas lol, my buddy had a blister on his hand from hanging onto it so tight all day. I spent about a hour riding it and and found myself laughing in my helmet at what this sled was capable of doing.

What clutch weights and track length and lug?

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
What clutch weights and track length and lug?

My sled is a 163 2.6" with 66 gram EPI bellybusters. It over revs a bit to 8400 rpm when below 8k' but I always like to clutch for the highest elevation that I will be riding that day. If I was riding 7-8k most of the day I would put 68s in it,8200RPM is where it feels the best to me.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

I agree. It is REALLY crisp and fun on 6lbs!!!!

roostertech

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2011
I have 16.5 hours ( mostly in Revy ) on my 163, 2.6 track Axys Pro 850 - Kurt's belt drive gear down kit - heavier clutch spring and now 72 gram weights with a can - was using the Bikeman mountain can but it's just a bit too loud for me so trying out the trail can this weekend. Fouled 2 sets of plugs while in Ethanol mode - now in premium mode. I love this sled and motor !!! Jumps up on top of the snow and pulls hard to 8200 rpm!! Great in the trees, and out in the open! Had a 16 - 800 Axys with full Bikeman exhaust, cylinder head, tuner, clutching and the Kurt's gear down kit and this is stronger and more fun to ride for sure. Was already running the narrow front end so it handles similar but with this 850 engine I think it handles better. Added the ARC fox rear shock for adjustable on the fly skid stiffen/locking and I really like that too! Ordered a full set of Elka Stage 4 shocks front and rear - can't wait to ride it with those babies on it :)

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Elka Stage 4

I have 16.5 hours ( mostly in Revy ) on my 163, 2.6 track Axys Pro 850 - Kurt's belt drive gear down kit - heavier clutch spring and now 72 gram weights with a can - was using the Bikeman mountain can but it's just a bit too loud for me so trying out the trail can this weekend. Fouled 2 sets of plugs while in Ethanol mode - now in premium mode. I love this sled and motor !!! Jumps up on top of the snow and pulls hard to 8200 rpm!! Great in the trees, and out in the open! Had a 16 - 800 Axys with full Bikeman exhaust, cylinder head, tuner, clutching and the Kurt's gear down kit and this is stronger and more fun to ride for sure. Was already running the narrow front end so it handles similar but with this 850 engine I think it handles better. Added the ARC fox rear shock for adjustable on the fly skid stiffen/locking and I really like that too! Ordered a full set of Elka Stage 4 shocks front and rear - can't wait to ride it with those babies on it :)

You owned Elka in the past or are these your first set? Report back and let us know if they are worth the money. Very curious. Thanks

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have Elka Stage 5 on my 2013 Pro. LOVE THEM.
Just had them rebuilt last summer, so they are so sweet.

roostertech

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2011
Never run the Elka"s before - Had full Fox Floats and liked them - Heard from a couple of trusted people that I will like these better - will report back for sure !

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Second ride on the 850 today. Snow was not stellar but the sled performed flawlessly again. I swapped with my buddy that bought my 16 Axys and I couldn't believe how much harder the 850 pulls. Where the 800ho would flatten out on the power band, the 850 just kept pulling and pulling.<div>Sled starts first pull every time when warm, and I haven't had the slightest bog.</div><div>My buddy is already wanting to buy this one at the end of the year. </div><div>So far I'm very pleased with the performance of this machine. If it stays together it's a home run!</div>

N
Dec 19, 2010
350 miles and 14 hours, no issues other than a freeze up. Forgot these were prone to that. Will keep the K100 close moving forward.

Love the sled..

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
just got back from a 6 day trip with my 850. it's at 15 hours and 350 miles. the 850 is a total winner! i'm surprised about how much better it performs than the 800 ho. we have quite a few sleds in the group. i got to ride 800 stock, 800 stage 2, my 850, and a 800 with 7lbs on a silber turbo. The 850 is closer to the silber with 7 lbs than the stock 800. i know it doesn't make sense but it's true. the 850 with the slp stage 2 is going to be a monster!!

we had 3 polaris 850s in the group, mine has the slp comp can and the other two have straight-line cans. all the sleds ran flawlessly, no bog, always started, and all on original spark plugs. my track needed retentioning at 8 hours, belt deflection as well.

we lined up a race: pro ride 800 with 7 lbs silber turbo, stock 800 ho axys, polaris 850, and a doo 850, and a axys 800 ho sliber 7lbs. the silber Axys just nudged out the polaris 850 and it was after 1000 feet or so. the doo 850 was third followed by pro ride turbo and the stock 800.

i guess overall i'm surprised at the power this sled has. once break in is finished, it totally out performs the stock 800!

edit the '17 850 doo blew up with 1000 miles, the polaris 850s didn't.

Last edited:

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I have 163 x3 sled will pull 8550 at 8000 ft but mainly ride around 10000ft so that's where I clutched for. For reference the weights are actually 1 gram heavier than stamped. I did not have a turbo to compare to just an alpha, and couple 800 axys. I rode the alpha but would not buy one. My gut feeling in tight trees this 850 will beat a turbo. Straight up it will be interesting test.

I love hearing this. There is no way a 850 will beat a axys with a good running turbo. The 850 at elevation might be 130hp where the turbo will be 40-50 more hp. My 800 axys has no turbo lag and would come down to rider in the trees. The 850 skidoo with 175 could not climb with my 162 axys with mtntk turbo and I weight 50lbs more than them. This was in very soft snow today. I am sure the 850 is a great sled but turbo beater in a straight up climb, no way.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I love hearing this. There is no way a 850 will beat a axys with a good running turbo. The 850 at elevation might be 130hp where the turbo will be 40-50 more hp. My 800 axys has no turbo lag and would come down to rider in the trees. The 850 skidoo with 175 could not climb with my 162 axys with mtntk turbo and I weight 50lbs more than them. This was in very soft snow today. I am sure the 850 is a great sled but turbo beater in a straight up climb, no way.

Yep.

Modern Polaris turbo sleds. (16 and newer) are almost a different sport.
So addicting..........

prorideupper800

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2013
Upper Pennisula of Michigan
Real Feedback from new patriot owner

Now at 40 hrs on 850 Pro RMK running 74 grams in primary clutch and loosing plugs every time I ride oil fouled, Bogging bad too runs fine above the bogg and doesn't completely lose a cylinder just sputters through the low end. Going to try Iridium plugs next.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Now at 40 hrs on 850 Pro RMK running 74 grams in primary clutch and loosing plugs every time I ride oil fouled, Bogging bad too runs fine above the bogg and doesn't completely lose a cylinder just sputters through the low end. Going to try Iridium plugs next.
74grams is too heavy imo.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I thought the dealer was putting 72g in our 850's but they did some with 74g . So a 850 with 74g is getting 8200rpm at 4000-4500' in 3-4' pow. That's alot of weight. Axys 800 uses 68g in our area.

Premium Features