• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whammy. Totaled Sled. Insurance Questions...

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Welp. Didn't see this season going that way! Had a bit of a close encounter with a tree in steeper terrain when I lost an edge. Long story short, tunnel, bulkhead, plastics, a-arm, shock, bumper are all done.

Motor and turbo are fine.

I have State Farm. I also have insurance on "aftermarket parts".

I fully intend (or hope to) buy this sled back from insurance after the process as I could actually see myself fixing it this summer (chassis swap).

Questions for the masses - will my buyback go up significantly with the turbo left on? Anyone have any experience with State Farm when it comes to buying back a totaled sled (recently)? I'm worried it may be excessively high and I'm better pulling the aftermarket parts that I can now.

Trying to determine what my best course of action is. Any opinions are helpful here!

Last edited:

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
I have state farm as well. They will give you a check minus the buyback amount. And you keep the sled. Basically the salvage value is what they consider buyback. You might take a pretty big hit on buyback with the turbo being insured, but it's really a wash since you'll get it back. I've done it and parted out sled and you easily come out ahead. Now if you want to get another chassis you'll have to consider the cost of that vs. the buyback deduct.

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
I just totaled mine out this season too. I took my turbo off and bought the sled back. I have progressive but i'd imagine their all somewhat similar. My agent told me the buy back cost would've been more had i left the turbo on. I ended up getting a 17 and now I'm just going to sell my 16 as-is

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Take it off... Usually they take value off of fair market.

New chassis is about $1500

I think the chassis is $2500 - Either way, I think I'm best pulling it. Bummer is I'm not sure I have the stock airbox anymore (but somehow kept the paperweight of can!?)

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Don't think they'll care about the airbox, particularly if you're buying it back. They do better on buybacks than auction, anyways.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
If it was me... I would take off the turbo, total it out and not buy it back. Insurance companies pay top dollar and I bet you can buy a brand new one off the floor right now for what they are going to give you. Then put your turbo on and you got a brand new sled again, NOT a rebuilt totaled sled. Just a little "been there, done that" info. Ive done it both ways and the buy back prices are just too high anymore for that route to be a good deal. Eric

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'm just here to say "nice work"

Nice work!

Premium Features