• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VR, Capacitor, or Stator?

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
I posted this over on the IQ Polaris sub -forum, but as it is basically the same sled I thought I would drop it in here, I know we have a bunch of diehard 900 guys.. Trying to decide which way to jump....

I bought my wife a 06 700 RMK and the first trip out I popped a check engine light in the parking lot and went into limp mode. I called my dealership to see if they could throw digital wrench on it and give me an idea what the issue was. They pulled it all apart and found a broken wire to the TPS, so I had them fix it and reset the TPS for me. Took it to McCall Sunday and it rode like a champ for the first 20 miles or so. Then I started having issues getting it started unless I held the throttle open a VERY small bit. Then she started having a slight bog issue and swapped me sleds. I noticed that the temp light was flickering so I checked that and it was at 215, then the MFD started going on and off, and when it was on, I only had 1 bar on the volt meter. I pointed it back to the trailer 3-5 miles away, and as the RPM came up I got 3 bars. The only other issue with the sled I’m aware of is that the Brake light isn’t working.

I checked the grounds last night and I think they were OK. Hopefully I can get home while there is still some light tonight to try and swap the VR out with the one I have on my '05 900 to see if that makes a difference, if not I can tear things down further and test the capacitor. Am I on the right track here or should I be looking at the stator?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chris

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
I had a chance to look at this for just a little bit last night, and if I saw this clearly in the weak flashlight beam, it looks like I have to pull the tank to get at the VR as well. There just isn't daylight enough after work to get crap done, so I'll have to run it back into town on Thursday and put it in my brothers shop.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Interesting, I haven't heard of the relay causing that many issues. I'm glad you got it figured out! My money would have been on a rubbed wire grounding out somewhere along the line.

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
I got to put a few hundred miles on it last week up north and it worked like a champ. I didn't think it was that either, but it seems to have cleared it up.

TecCrash

D
Feb 25, 2019
2006 Polaris 900 RMK - Start issue

Have the same exact issue with my 2006 Polaris 900 RMK to start have to hold the throttle just slightly, it also does not produce enough juice at low idle. The instrument goes blank and shows one bar on electricity and when you raise RPM it then shows 3 bars and instruments work. What exactly is the chasis relay, if you have a part number since you did the digging into this. I will check all wiring in the next day or two. More details please, thanks, location of the chasis relay, what it looks like, etc.

Premium Features