• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken chain on MCX nytro, replace gears too?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Doing routine maintenance, and I had 2 links that were broken in the chain. Was just going to replace chain as everything else looks good. Manual says if you replace chain must replace gears.......

I understand the wearing as one thing, but is it really needed?

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
I have broken two chains in the past 8 years on Nytro gearbox. Never changed the gears. But don't get the Team chain. Junk. Only buy the OEM Hyvo unit. Its a bit more but guaranteed with all that Power you will break anything else quicker than a OEM version.
Cheers

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Let me preface this with saying that I have never owned a turbo sled. And Randy S. has logged more miles then I will ever ride however I would change both because the forces acting on the chain that caused it break are the same forces being applied to the gears. Obviously the links are weaker then a solid gear

Now you will be putting a new chain on a gear that has a wear pattern already established from the last chain which may put stress points on the new one that may wear the chain out sooner then normal. For me I would change. Both for the piece of mind but would agree to go with the OEM chain Better quality control on parts then after market parts

M
Jan 14, 2004
Those gears are pretty stout, they are nothing like a bike gear, I'd be really surprised if they needed changing personally I wouldn't bother.

M5

Premium Features