• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Replacing carbide runners with steel wear bars

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Thinking about replacing the carbides on my 15 Pro with just steel wear bars, for a number of reasons.

Tear the hell of out my trailer

Tear the hell out of my garage concrete slab

Could destroy the tunnel, a-arms etc if I hit rocks at the right speed.

We all have to ride some trails to get to the secret stashes but it's not like the old days of nothing but trails! These are a purpose built mountain sled.
Anyone have any feedback or pros and cons besides the obvious benefits of longer wear and better bite on ice?:light:

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I replaced my stock carbides with wear bars last year. In the snow, you can't tell any difference. In the snow park if it's icy or bare, you have no steering. I like being able to slide over an occasional rock or log without the skis grabbing. A buddy of mine totaled his sled last season when his ski went over a lava rock and grabbed. It bent the tunnel and he was done. In summary, I like them and they are cheap about $7.00 per ski..

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
It's the first thing I do to all my sleds for all the reasons you mentioned. Even on an icy parking lot sled will turn ok.

N
Aug 27, 2012
Bend, OR
I buy hardbars for mine. They are the same as the wearbars, but they are welded along the wear surface to make them last longer. I hate carbides!!

moto_786

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2011
Only way to go as far as I'm concerned haven't seen any downfalls from running them

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Carbide runners are not really required for western mountain riding, and all the things you mentioned are legitimate gripes that i totally agree with. I have also had them tear my riding gear, pants and coats ect, when giving a buddy a ski tug and things get western and an arm or leg gets run over. I usually run cheap wear bars, or like was mentioned the hardfaced ones as they do last longer. Last year i made my own, cost me about $4 and a half hour of my time.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
My sled had them ground down when I bought it, steered ok. Halfway through the season they wore in half, I could not steer a corner on the trails for the life of me. Put new 6" shaper bars on, fantastic. I don't like some of the hassles of carbides either but I will never ride without a set. Any bit of ice or hard pack and you will regret it. If you don't ever go on trails or hard pack than you should be OK.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
You say that until you get into spots where it's your only option. Been riding since I was 5, call me a noob if you like, I'll use whatever makes my life a bit easier. :cool:

Sent From God Knows Where...

To each their own. Years ago I carried one. I got tired of digging for it just to see an experienced rider give a guy a ski pull and then I had to stow it again. If you know what you are doing there is no advantage to a Snowbungie. You might like that Snowjack that some guy makes her in Oregon or maybe a reinforced bumper for a Warn winch. LOL

Last edited:

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I ditched them and made my own with 3/8 stainless rod because thats what I had in shop. Keeps trailer plywood from getting messed up. Also seen s-modgals and nuns get bent from carbide getting caught on a rock on the doos. Don't miss them at all.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
To each their own. Years ago I carried one. I got tired of digging for it just to see an experienced rider give a guy a ski pull and then I had to stow it again. If you know what you are doing there is no advantage to a Snowbungie. You might like that Snowjack that some guy makes her in Oregon or maybe a reinforced bumper for a Warn winch. LOL
We don't use ours often, but when the need arises, is nice to have. I've seen that snow jack, it's a gimmick if you ask me.

Stainless would be good for runners, is harder than mild steel in most cases, is have used that to if I had some laying around.

Sent From God Knows Where...

Premium Features