• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Misunderstood women snowmobilers

J
Dec 8, 2007
Twin Falls
How are you misunderstood as a female snowmobiler?

I am just wondering. I have to write a paper and am just curious if anyone else runs into the same complications I have.

When I go riding with the guys they always tell my husband that I am his responsibility. I have been riding off trail and climbing steep hills with all of these gentle men. I know they know I can ride but I feel that they need to have someone to pick on.

What are some of the things you ladies run into?

M

Momma

Jun 20, 2009
In the heart of the Kootenays BC
Hello!! Misunderstood... for the most part, the men I ride with are awesome. I feel respected, and valued, as a member of our ride group...

If you are writing a paper I'd have you perhaps think of this... women.. we are women riders.. there seems to be some sort of "movement" amongst some of the women riders to somehow prove themselves as a rider to the men.. the whole.. show the boys how it's done thing. I don't buy into it. I am a woman rider. I ride like a girl.. and I'm proud of it.
How many woman would feel it is more of a compliment to be told you are one of the boys.. or you ride like a man, than it is to say you are a strong woman rider.. or you ride like a girl. I'd love for women, to be women.. to ride, to have fun and to be proud to excel in skill. To go out and learn each ride out, and embrace other women riders.

Me.. I ride like a girl! :D
Here is something to add. A blog on our Betties Powersports Network page. A Powersports network devoted to "riding like a girl!"

http://www.thebetties.ca/2/post/2013/09/ride-like-a-girl-by-trish-drinkle.html

Take care!

Trish

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com

I am just wondering. I have to write a paper and am just curious if anyone else runs into the same complications I have.

When I go riding with the guys they always tell my husband that I am his responsibility. I have been riding off trail and climbing steep hills with all of these gentle men. I know they know I can ride but I feel that they need to have someone to pick on.

Aside from the issue I have already written about in this thread http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351086 I have not ran into many on the mountain.

Everyone who has welcomed me to ride with them has been absolutely great as a group at helping when anyone male or female has issues with anything! Picking the people that you ride with is important because we all rely upon each other.

One other minor issue I personally tend to run into :gossip: is I have a hard time keeping up with all these awesome riders I hang out with!!! :face-icon-small-coo

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
Misunderstood women~~ Heck yeh~~ it's the age old thing~~ the instruction book that we are provided with is mis-leading hard to understand~ doesn't contain enough pictures~ and is totally incomplete!!! and the one we do ave takes 20 years to try and get through and when ya get done with it everything has changed~ and wonder why you're misunderstood~ ;)

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC

I don't think anyone is picking on you at all. Just because they want your husband to keep eyes on you doesn't mean they won't help you if you need it. I've often told guys to look after their spouses. Often when we meet up with couples on the hill the husband will take off with my partner, and leave me to be responsible for their spouse. I'm out to ride and burn fuel too, and typically am only responsible for myself, so not super keen on having to pick easier routes, or having to dig ppl out, men or women.
The guys I ride with are super supportive as well. No one ever seems to mind that there's a girl in the group, but I bring hot lunches to share... Maybe that helps lol.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com

I am just misunderstood... has nothing to do with being female! ;) Now with that said, when a guy brings a buddy along to ride with me, I'll tell him "he's your responsibility". I don't think it is a gender thing. It is a "buddy up" and keep each other safe thing. Atleast to me. And yes, guys like to pick on people. It's a guy thing. But that is a different subject... Maybe have a second look at this situation. Instead of getting your feelers ruffled, maybe all they are concerned about is your safety?

Hel there seems to be some sort of "movement" amongst some of the women riders to somehow prove themselves as a rider to the men.. the whole.. show the boys how it's done thing.

That would be me! lol And proud of it!:devil:

It takes all kinds to keep this industry interesting. :heart:

M

Momma

Jun 20, 2009
I am just misunderstood... has nothing to do with being female! ;) Now with that said, when a guy brings a buddy along to ride with me, I'll tell him "he's your responsibility". I don't think it is a gender thing. It is a "buddy up" and keep each other safe thing. Atleast to me. And yes, guys like to pick on people. It's a guy thing. But that is a different subject... Maybe have a second look at this situation. Instead of getting your feelers ruffled, maybe all they are concerned about is your safety?

That would be me! lol And proud of it!:devil:

It takes all kinds to keep this industry interesting. :heart:

Haa haa! that's funny. I've never seen you like that. You are a woman, and proud to be a woman, reach out to other women. A strong, beautiful woman.

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
I think the way I've been misunderstood is by the folks in my life who don't ride not understanding my obsession with the sport. They also don't understand why, when I find someone who's interested, I'm on them like a rabid dog about trying it out!

In the beginning with our group of riders, there used to be an occasional sigh from one to which my husband said, "If he doesn't want to ride with my wife, he doesn't need to ride with me". That doesn't happen much these days, and I don't really care if it does since most of our group seems to be just fine with my riding. It might help that I am a decent hotdogger/muffpot cook & always bring xtra. :face-icon-small-win

M

Momma

Jun 20, 2009
I think the way I've been misunderstood is by the folks in my life who don't ride not understanding my obsession with the sport. They also don't understand why, when I find someone who's interested, I'm on them like a rabid dog about trying it out!

Omgosh Whoops you hit it right there. I do have family who do not understand our sport. They do not understand the training, the caution, and the choices I choose to make as a mother, and just a safe rider in general. The automatic response when you mention sledding to people who don't understand is something pertaining to avy's and death. We are riders. Mothers. I never ever take for granted the fact that I am a mother out there. My choices reflect the fact that I am a mom. My children truly are the reason I breathe each day.

That would be a misunderstanding for certain. That I am somehow taking life for granted because I choose to be a Mountain riding woman. :heart:

J
Dec 8, 2007
Twin Falls
Thank you ladies. This is exactly how I feel. I have only ran into the one time of riding that I was told if you have to take your wife maybe you should not go. That was the worst day of my life. That was the day I also decided that I was not just the wife but an equal to all of those men. No more sitting on the trail. Just go and have fun. Show those guys that you can ride with them. Thanks again.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
i've ridden with women i could barely keep up with

I used to ride with a friend's wife who would fire up her sled and ride it 70 mph up the trail, pull over crack open a beer at 9:00 am and wait for us to catch up. my sled was geared to top out at about 55, there was no way I could catch her, she usually lead the pack. but no matter if a female or a male riding companion, a good leader will watch over the flock. I have been riding for 30 years , and i don't like to be more than 5 minutes away from any of the other people's headlights. I've been riding with guys who were supposed to be leading but they got so far ahead and there was a Y in the road and i was following the pack, that I ended up taking a wrong turn and ended up a good 10 miles away before i decided to backtrack. there are a lot of idiots who should not lead or have no clue as to how to ride safely as a group. but whether it's a newby, a female or a veteran, anyone can have issues in the MTN. whether it's sled related or someone just has to take a dump. either way the key to a great ride is everyone making it to the destination and home safely. either way always lend a hand to those who may need it. whoever you are riding with adapt and overcome.

Last edited:

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Omgosh Whoops you hit it right there. I do have family who do not understand our sport. They do not understand the training, the caution, and the choices I choose to make as a mother, and just a safe rider in general. The automatic response when you mention sledding to people who don't understand is something pertaining to avy's and death. We are riders. Mothers. I never ever take for granted the fact that I am a mother out there. My choices reflect the fact that I am a mom. My children truly are the reason I breathe each day.

That would be a misunderstanding for certain. That I am somehow taking life for granted because I choose to be a Mountain riding woman. :heart:

Most people don't understand our addiction and love of the sport. We that have this true addiction fall into another realm. Some people would call us extremists. I don't think friends and family can truly relate unless you can compare it to something they love.

I always have my kids in mind in the choices I make. During the period of time in my life that I was skydiving weekly, I was asked many times why I would even risk that with kids at home. What people do not realize is if you take all the safety precautions and stay aware, you can still live your life to the fullest every day and go home and take care of your family. :heart:

M

Momma

Jun 20, 2009
Most people don't understand our addiction and love of the sport. We that have this true addiction fall into another realm. Some people would call us extremists. I don't think friends and family can truly relate unless you can compare it to something they love.

I always have my kids in mind in the choices I make. During the period of time in my life that I was skydiving weekly, I was asked many times why I would even risk that with kids at home. What people do not realize is if you take all the safety precautions and stay aware, you can still live your life to the fullest every day and go home and take care of your family. :heart:

Biggest hugs shred sister. Exactly :)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Stop riding better than them and getting stuck in the places they can't get to to help you get un stuxk so they quit feeling guilty about not being able to get up there and help you out .... :p .... Then they'll stop picking on you :p

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I have never had the oppurtunity to ride with a woman in the group that can actually tear it up. Most women that have ridden with us are good enough to keep up and then they meadow mash while the guys are climbing or boondocking. So whenever a buddy wants his GF or wife to come along I am leery. The guy always asks "Do you mind" and I don't but her actions are his responsibility. If she spends all day getting stuck, it's his back that's gonna be doing the work. But in retrospective, I have had friends bring their buddies who actually ride worse than most women I have ridden with. Needless to say those buddies aren't allowed to bring their buddy along anymore.

I work for a living so that leaves me with 1 or 2 days a week to ride. Last thing I want to do is babysit someone, whether it be a man or woman. I just want to spend my time riding, not coddling or digging out. I'll do that when I take my kids out.

M

m8braaaap

Banned
Dec 3, 2012
mancos colorado
I agree pj.winter is short and ive spent the last 14 years building skills to be able to go have fun and keep the digging and lost riding time to a minimum.i have no problem helping people who want to learn as long as they give a good effort.its the people who get stuck and sit there until everyone shows up and gets them unstuck that piss me off.even a smoking hot woman will not get special treatment for long!! that said, the women that I have rode with rip it for the most part.its the fat old dudes that think snomobiling is easy that I refuse to ride with.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I'm lucky enough I guess in that the group we ride with doesn't have a problem helping out a stuck wife, mine or others. It is the same they usually ride well enough to go wherever and usually hang at the bottom of a hill or in the general area. I do make a point to be responsible for my wife. There have been a couple occasions I was rippen around and lost track of where she was after about 30 seconds. She found a drift going to slow. One of the guys in the group was already there pulling it out. No issues at all. Certainly everyone needs to be responsible for there own regardless of skill but personally if it's uncomfortable for the rest of the group on a particular ride, I've got my own truck and trailer and will still have fun without them.

Premium Features