• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Testing the MPEM? No spark 800HO

S
Oct 17, 2001
Milwaukee
Completely stumped on a no spark issue, 2004 800HO DPM/RER setup. Been through the entire electrical system 20 times, every single component checks out per the manual. Pretty much leaves the MPEM, which to me makes no sense because the sled wasn't even being used- but such is my luck.

Proper verified power going in to the MPEM from the voltage regulator, but the primary power out wire (wh/bu) is dead. The only test I've been able to find for MPEM output verification shows that you should have 225-275VDC to the wh/bu wire going in to the ignition coil pack when pulling the engine over. I get nodda, although as soon as you stop pulling it over it does read up over 200v across the coil briefly and then bleeds off rapidly (must be some sort of capacitor inside the MPEM ?).

Continuity through the entire wire harness, DESS cord, DESS post, kill switch, relays, voltage regulator, trigger coil output, stator output, ignition coil resistance, et al tests right on the money. Don't have access to another MPEM, but to me that is the only variable left.

Freakin' been over every inch of this thing and about to put a quarter stick in the tank and walk away... :frusty:

M
Jun 3, 2010
Completely stumped on a no spark issue, 2004 800HO DPM/RER setup. Been through the entire electrical system 20 times, every single component checks out per the manual. Pretty much leaves the MPEM, which to me makes no sense because the sled wasn't even being used- but such is my luck.

Proper verified power going in to the MPEM from the voltage regulator, but the primary power out wire (wh/bu) is dead. The only test I've been able to find for MPEM output verification shows that you should have 225-275VDC to the wh/bu wire going in to the ignition coil pack when pulling the engine over. I get nodda, although as soon as you stop pulling it over it does read up over 200v across the coil briefly and then bleeds off rapidly (must be some sort of capacitor inside the MPEM ?).

Continuity through the entire wire harness, DESS cord, DESS post, kill switch, relays, voltage regulator, trigger coil output, stator output, ignition coil resistance, et al tests right on the money. Don't have access to another MPEM, but to me that is the only variable left.

Freakin' been over every inch of this thing and about to put a quarter stick in the tank and walk away... :frusty:

Have you checked for stator output? Should read between 3 to 5VAC when pulling the sled over. You need to check the three yellow wires in pairs. Ex: wire 1 to wire 2, then wire 2 to wire 3 and finally wire 1 to wire 3. All need to read as mentioned. Also, there is a resistance test for the stator. You test that in pairs, just like above. I forget the values, I can post them later if you're interested.

I'm giving you data from an 07 800 HO. I don't know if it differs from your sled. I don't think it would.

D
Jan 8, 2013
no spark and frustrated

hey there i was wondering if anyone has the resistance values for a 2004 ski doo rev 800 stator it would be much appreciated!
and if there are any other reasons it may not have spark that you know let me know thanks again.

Premium Features