• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

why was search disabled for basic members.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Coming from a conversation about this in another thread.

Why would you disable the search feature for basic members?

The ones with less experience are the ones that need to search the most, why would you make it so they just get junk?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Sorry, but that's not the case at all.

Perhaps it was not on purpose, but the search function does not work for basic members like it used to (I've done hundreds of searches, and it does not work AT ALL like it used to)

Our searches are about as useful as simply paging through the forum, it didn't used to be that way.

Basic members cannot link words like we used to be able to, it's very different.

We assumed it was something that was done on purpose, but after talking with KSH last night I got the feeling that perhaps something just went wrong & decided to ask about it.

Last edited:

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Sorry, but that's not the case at all.

Perhaps it was not on purpose, but the search function does not work for basic members like it used to (I've done hundreds of searches, and it does not work AT ALL like it used to)

Our searches are about as useful as simply paging through the forum, it didn't used to be that way.

Basic members cannot link words like we used to be able to, it's very different.

We assumed it was something that was done on purpose, but after talking with KSH last night I got the feeling that perhaps something just went wrong & decided to ask about it.

Basic members can not use the Advanced Search Function.
So the searches are just a generic search.

W
Nov 27, 2007
So should the basic users who post most the issues start posting just generic info to match??

Example: My sled doesn't run. It is blue. Help me.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
We created an ADVANCED search engine and include that with Premium Memberships.

KSH,

What you're saying & what Christopher is saying are two totally different things.

He says they CREATED a better search, this is not what it looks like. What happened was they disabled the search engine that we already had.

The two don't match up.

WE HAD a good search engine (people still whined about it, but I felt it worked great once you massaged it a bit) and it was disabled, instead of, we had a basic search & they ADDED an advanced search.

Basic members can not use the Advanced Search Function.
So the searches are just a generic search.

so generic that when i search, i get everything except what im looking for.so i dont bother searching anymore.

every day this forum is getting worse. cant even use the back button anymore. if i get within an inch of the add in the left corner stupid add comes down and stays there.have to close the page to remove it.

A
diddo

search engine sucks big time. i too have quite trying to use it b/c it is worthless. it comes up with more (many more) posts that are completely irrelavent than useful. i guess i will just ask stupid questions at the risk of getting told to use the search engine, and clutter the site even more. I joined in 2003 and the site has been going down hill big time in the last 2 years.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Believe it or not, I didn't start this thread to bich or whine, I actually started it to try to get an honest answer.

When you (KSH) responded to me with point number 11 of the letter to members, it just didn't add up & it seems like nobody had heard from Christopher on why exactly since the answer I had gotten didn't equate with what we had seen.

I was hoping that possibly there was a mistake made after I heard the answers I had heard & perhaps it HADN'T been messed up on purpose (which would be a really asinine thing to do) and perhaps there was a chance that it would be fixed back to how it was before.

One can hope, right?

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
I can't say i see anything different with my search engines for the site, seem to be the same as before. if we did get a new search engine it must be running behind the scene using the old interface.

on a side note does the google search engine log everyone else out to or is it just me(not that i use it any more as it works like chit)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Any chance we'll actually get an honest answer?

Christopher, it sure doesn't sound like what you're saying is what happened.

What it looks like is that you left the advanced search (here way before you, it's a standard function of a vbulletin forum) in tact for advanced users & simply disabled it for basics. Not being a premium member I sure can't confirm that, since I can't access whatever they have to search with, all I CAN confirm was that search USED to work & now it doesn't, creating hundreds of useless posts about the same garbage. (I'm not much in the conspiracy kind of thinking, but that does seem to fit in with what you'd want for revenue, more worthless garbage being posted so that the numbers go up?)

Why is it so hard to just get a straight answer around here?

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As a FREE non-paying member you have access to the search engine that Harris Publishing created before I started working here. So far as I know, it is the same search engine that has always been in the same location in the forum.

I "think" it is a simple google based engine.
Notice that when you search in it, you LEAVE the forums and go to
http://www.snowest.com/magazine/search.cfm?domains=www.snowest.com

The Advanced Search Engine that we offer to the Paid Premium members is utterly different from this and uses a completely separate structure that is confined to within the forums and within our own databases.

W
Nov 27, 2007
Can a paying member verify if this new "Premium Search" is any different than the one that was "given" to us by HB when this version of VBulletin came out in 2007? We know the search engine now for basic members is different.....

Thanks.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
There have always been two search areas for users

The one under the users namer with a with a box for entering text and a search button. That search took you to a google based search engine not restricted to snowest.

Then in the black pull down bar there is a search tab that opens up a simple search box.....or a more advanced search page where you could put several limitations to your search. Both of which are limited to the snowest database.

From the beginning of this format these search functions have been available to all members.

As a premium member all of these search options are still available for me to use.

Which ones have been disabled for basic members now?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The one between garages & quick links.

When you use the advanced search (part of vbulletin forum software) it no longer brings up useful info.

It works for advanced members, but no longer works for us.

DIzz, is there some other search area that you can go to that we can't? What is this advanced search function that was "created"? advanced search from the box I mentioned has always been there, it just no longer does anything useful.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
It is the same standard advanced search page from what I can tell.

I still have the search pull down tab between garages and quick links.

So basically that search function has been removed....what is the new advanced search function that was "created"

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
backcountry,

Do you find the swap meet search still works pretty good?

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
I think the money I ponied up for a 3 year premium membership to help pay for maintenance of the servers and the people I have gotten in contact with in my area is well worth the Dollars! All information is not free and should not be expected to be free! Although that would be nice! With out my mebership I would have not reached the people I did that helped me out with getting my sled fixed! Had I not had this it would have cost me lots more in the repair shop! So in essence I have already saved well more then I have spent on my premium membership! Well worth it to me!Thanks:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features