• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wildcat 700 bigbore

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I recently acquired a Polaris XCR 440 racer that has an old wildcat 700 twin swapped into it that supposedly has been bigbored. Does anybody know anything about these engines? I have not got the machine in my possession yet.

Last edited:
F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
wow

I guess the Poo-Kitty kinda miffed everyone:fear:......It does have PSI pipes on it. I am going to pick it up this weekend.....then I shall know more about it.:face-icon-small-hap

I am hoping it will:smow: so that maybe I can sneak in one last ride....just one more....

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Don't let them idle for long periods of time or at too low of an rpm, and they are not as bad on clutches. You have to remember that the old wildcat 700 came with the comet drive clutch on them, and they weren't balanced or durable.

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
Lots of vibration. Turning up the idle helps, though. If they're maintained well, they are a great motor. My dad had a '92 and it has close to 7000 miles on it.

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
wildcatt'n

the most likely 800 kit is just the aftermarket Wisesco pistons and remachined heads, very common, in general this kit ran smoother than stock and in many cases owners claimed better clutch life. The later style cat clutch's with the small taper will work ( M5 or ). No great big power boost with the kit, typical overbore kit where stock transfer ports were handling all they could so a bigger piston didn't really produce more power or significant seat of the pants power. Pistons still show in Wiseco's catalogue.

the Yam primary worked good on these.......expensive but easy to rebuilt on the sled and keep the rattling down.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
the most likely 800 kit is just the aftermarket Wisesco pistons and remachined heads, very common, in general this kit ran smoother than stock and in many cases owners claimed better clutch life. The later style cat clutch's with the small taper will work ( M5 or ). No great big power boost with the kit, typical overbore kit where stock transfer ports were handling all they could so a bigger piston didn't really produce more power or significant seat of the pants power. Pistons still show in Wiseco's catalogue.

the Yam primary worked good on these.......expensive but easy to rebuilt on the sled and keep the rattling down.

I've seen many 790 Wiseco BB's in later year 700's and power was negligible. The electrical, set to run with that ****ty single pipe just did not produce the power we remembered when the 700 first came out.

My '94 with a 790 and extensive porting handles all other 790's and the 890 Bigger bore with ease on the hills. But most are drop in kits while, like I said, I have a not so stock motor. However do not kid yourself, 160hp is not realistic from the drop in kit like was advertised 10 years ago.

As far as cltch and crank issues, went 10,000 miles on original crank before rod bearing let loose. 6,000 on the BB. Run a Comet 4-Pro balanced and idle high. She runs at 8400RM with the PSI ModBlasters.

Comparison:

Head to head with my '06 SLP'd 800 REV 162x2.5 CE(Advertised 163hp?)
vs
'04 KR Special 150x2.5 CE

In bottomless pow the Cat moves mucch faster than the Doo, trackspeed and groundspeed is way better, but the 162 on the Doo kept the marks on the hill pretty even. If I had more track the Cat would easily outclimb my Doo. In comparison sake, my '06 runs a dead even race against a clutched 2010 800 163.

I love the sled and the motor.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Nice!

That is the kind of info I was lookin' for. I did not pick it up this weekend, I got a job in that area and will be movin' there in the next couple weeks, no reason to move it twice.

Premium Features