• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk Motec stand alone ECUs

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
That will work and has worked for ALOT of people out there as history has shown but people are just DEALING with a sled that has a few hiccups, a bit lean or rich on diffrent days etc.

I still dont understand why some people build a 20,30,40K dollar turbo sled and put a cheap piggyback style fueling maninpulator that cost $20 to make on it to have a sub par running sled???

You see these high dollar, high technology, feature packed standalone ECM's on the best of the best as far as motorsports goes, there is a reason! For example Show me a daily driven 7,8,900, 1000+ WHP supra that is tuned using any kind of piggyback system.....

Im not saying this is for everybody, but there is a market for it IMO if its done right! I dont think we have even gotten close to seeing the POTENTIAL of these turbo'd snowmobiles until you install technology like this!

I dont run a piggy back system than manipulates the stock injectors/fuel system. The Boost-It system runs independant of the factory system. I started out my reply saying, the best running mountain sleds I've seen are running a fuel system that leaves the factory ECU and injectors alone. I have yet to see a true Standalone work as good day in, day out, without hiccup. I've even spent a bit of time dialing in a standalone fuel system. A car world would be alot easier to tune IMO, engine load is always the same and they dont usually start their day at 2500ft, travel to 8000 ft +, and drop back down again. Not to mention going up and down 500-1000 ft every 10 minutes while atmospheric pressure changes by the minute. I would rather punch a couple buttons and be on my way vs. spending hours/days/years trying to dial in my sled. I've seen guys waste alot of time and resources to try to make these systems work. It all depends what is most important to you, are you trying to build a fuel system for a challenge, or would you rather be out riding? I know what I'd rather be out doing, so I choose to run a very reliable, super simple, proven fuel system. I have a very different attitude towards my investment. I would rather leave my 40 k sled in my own hands to tune vs trusting someone elses system I dont have any control over. :face-icon-small-win

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
I dont run a piggy back system than manipulates the stock injectors/fuel system. The Boost-It system runs independant of the factory system. I started out my reply saying, the best running mountain sleds I've seen are running a fuel system that leaves the factory ECU and injectors alone. I have yet to see a true Standalone work as good day in, day out, without hiccup. I've even spent a bit of time dialing in a standalone fuel system. A car world would be alot easier to tune IMO, engine load is always the same and they dont usually start their day at 2500ft, travel to 8000 ft +, and drop back down again. Not to mention going up and down 500-1000 ft every 10 minutes while atmospheric pressure changes by the minute. I would rather punch a couple buttons and be on my way vs. spending hours/days/years trying to dial in my sled. I've seen guys waste alot of time and resources to try to make these systems work. It all depends what is most important to you, are you trying to build a fuel system for a challenge, or would you rather be out riding? I know what I'd rather be out doing, so I choose to run a very reliable, super simple, proven fuel system. I have a very different attitude towards my investment. I would rather leave my 40 k sled in my own hands to tune vs trusting someone elses system I dont have any control over. :face-icon-small-win

Depends on what you call a waste of time .:face-icon-small-win

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
the world is bit bigger then you think,
there are 6 or 7 companies offering standalone for nytro. few are plug n play and they cost from 800 to 2500 usd. depend on how much the company want to earn.

99% of the people do not care what ecu, they want a perfect running system.

Impulse only has a standalone for the Nytro right now and it is a true stand alone. Apex will come sooner or later.

Last edited:

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
the world is bit bigger then you think,
there are 6 or 7 companies offering standalone for nytro. few are plug n play and they cost from 800 to 2500 usd. depend on how much the company want to earn.

99% of the people do not care what ecu, they want a perfect running system.

It was over a year ago when he had posted that, today the only other company I know of is OSP. If there are 6-7 other companies out there, they do a good job of keeping their product a secret. But post up the companies names, im sure a lot of people on here would be interested to check them out.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast

Your going to see one on a Nypex in a week that will run clean day in day out. That sled rides around 8 to 10000 feet on a regular basis so i think revy is around 6000 feet that should be a sufficient change in elevation as you say the problems will arise. Dont say it cant be done Duke or it wont work because it is. Besides the fact Yamaha runs a standalone that your fuel system is feeding off In stock form we all know they work well day in day out.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Your going to see one on a Nypex in a week that will run clean day in day out. That sled rides around 8 to 10000 feet on a regular basis so i think revy is around 6000 feet that should be a sufficient change in elevation as you say the problems will arise. Dont say it cant be done Duke or it wont work because it is. Besides the fact Yamaha runs a standalone that your fuel system is feeding off In stock form we all know they work well day in day out.

I didnt say it wont or cant work, the key to why Paul can make HIS sled run so good is because he does his own tuning and has invested a massive amount of time into it. If I wanted a standalone, Paul would be my first call, he understands what is required for mountain riding and rides himself. All I'm saying is, the best running sleds I've seen, arent running a standalone fuel system. The point I'm trying to get at is, choose your fuel system wisely, you dont want to get stuck going down a path where you have huge sums of time and money invested because some flatland tuner convinces you he can tune your sled. Get a fuel system you can easily learn to tune yourself and your sled will run better than ever. No two sleds run the same, so why should they have the same tune. I want a sled that rocks, not one that runs mediocre.:face-icon-small-ton

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
What do you mean when you say "your fuel system is feeding off"? If anything, the Boost-It fuel system is one of the most standalone fuel systems out there. Why would people want to give up the factories low speed driveability, ease of starting, and fuel economy?
Really the stock fuel system and ecu does not even know the Boost-It exists on the sled...they do not communicate whatsoever and the Boost -It system controls fuel under boost that can be tuned in seconds.
What happens when the "standalone" ecu takes a crapper? I have seen it more than once.:face-icon-small-win

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Well , i do not think of it as a waste of time , these systems ( standalone ) are not as hard to tune as some think , it just takes time , there is a lot of things that can effect your tune , you have to learn which one to tune .

This year i had a complete system ( engine and turbo system ) build by One Stop Performance , he is using the same standalone on he lake/trail kits that i have been playing with.
Here are some pictures of the kit and install , he modeled the header after my Alpine one ( at my request ) so i would not have to change my tank and seat.
The engine runs stock piston with stock compression , stock head , valves , springs and cams , turbo is a GT 3076 with external waste gate , both tunnel dumped , 3" from turbine ,1.5" from the waste gate.
The throttle bodys have been moded for a second set of injector that are staged to come on at a preset boost , the kit also came with a STM rage 8 clutch

Curt, I dont deny your sled/kit has alot of impressive features, but from what I've seen, its not alot farther than it was last year. You said it best in your post, it takes time. You've sacrificed 3 years of riding, alot of $$$$$ and a number of engines to get to this point. I'm not saying it wont work, but it will have come at a huge cost and is the end result really worth it? And for who? I can see if you are wanting to market it, you are doing the work the kit builder should be doing. I would like nothing better than to see it work out for you, but it is now March 27th, the season is nearly over again. If you had NM's system on it working with the factory ECU, it would be ripping your arms off in about 5 mins.

DL

08nytromtxa

Dec 17, 2007
tisdale saskatchewan
boost it

Curt, I dont deny your sled/kit has alot of impressive features, but from what I've seen, its not alot farther than it was last year. You said it best in your post, it takes time. You've sacrificed 3 years of riding, alot of $$$$$ and a number of engines to get to this point. I'm not saying it wont work, but it will have come at a huge cost and is the end result really worth it? And for who? I can see if you are wanting to market it, you are doing the work the kit builder should be doing. I would like nothing better than to see it work out for you, but it is now March 27th, the season is nearly over again. If you had NM's system on it working with the factory ECU, it would be ripping your arms off in about 5 mins.

DL

well said. simple and it works, also very fast.... im sure every yamaha owner with boost it fuel system will agree.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
I didnt say it wont or cant work, the key to why Paul can make HIS sled run so good is because he does his own tuning and has invested a massive amount of time into it. If I wanted a standalone, Paul would be my first call, he understands what is required for mountain riding and rides himself. All I'm saying is, the best running sleds I've seen, arent running a standalone fuel system. The point I'm trying to get at is, choose your fuel system wisely, you dont want to get stuck going down a path where you have huge sums of time and money invested because some flatland tuner convinces you he can tune your sled. Get a fuel system you can easily learn to tune yourself and your sled will run better than ever. No two sleds run the same, so why should they have the same tune. I want a sled that rocks, not one that runs mediocre.:face-icon-small-ton

So Paul tuned his sled in salt lake thats where he lives thats where he rides right? So he is coming to Revy next week and in theorey as you say, "Paul can make HIS sled run so good is he does his own tuning and has a massive amount of time invested" with that said that amount of time as you say was done in Salt lake. Right? Well Revy is much different altitude air ect that he has no time into tuning his sled in BC. So from what your saying it shouldn't run so good up here?. Im adamant it will. I think Loytoy will be there as well with his nypex just another customer like myself and same goes for his. Paul standalone is only getting better than when it first evolved as anything does anything with time.

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
i personally use our own ecu, then every wish can be made by the programmer in minutes

i lot of people i know use DTA, there are million maps available, and many different looms.
some people are running bosch.

and to give you a good hint. just ask good yamaha bike people, they know 20 different ecu manufacturer and most of them come with map sensor and million different features.
their community is much bigger then the sled one

and it worst case you can spend 3k for a ecu where you adjust it once and never again. :nod:

It was over a year ago when he had posted that, today the only other company I know of is OSP. If there are 6-7 other companies out there, they do a good job of keeping their product a secret. But post up the companies names, im sure a lot of people on here would be interested to check them out.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Sorry Neil, i worded it wrong. What im asking is what fuel system comes with a apex from factory running in stock form? Is it a standalone? does it run day in day out? do you have to make changes ? Im not knocking your boost it you sell by any means. But its getting a little irritating when guys come on and say a standalone wont run in all conditions.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
So Paul tuned his sled in salt lake thats where he lives thats where he rides right? So he is coming to Revy next week and in theorey as you say, "Paul can make HIS sled run so good is he does his own tuning and has a massive amount of time invested" with that said that amount of time as you say was done in Salt lake. Right? Well Revy is much different altitude air ect that he has no time into tuning his sled in BC. So from what your saying it shouldn't run so good up here?. Im adamant it will. I think Loytoy will be there as well with his nypex just another customer like myself and same goes for his. Paul standalone is only getting better than when it first evolved as anything does anything with time.

Thats great he can make it run in all conditions, that is the way it should be. This isn't some crusade to bash Impulse, so dont take it personal. I have alot of respect for Paul and the work he is doing. For the rest of us that dont run his turbo kit, his Standalone does us no good, as he has stated he wont install on another kit. I'm not about to dump another $8000-$10000 into my sled to change out the turbo kit, that would be foolish. If I ever build another he would probably be my first call. So for now we are limited to what works and Boost-It is the best option i've seen yet. :face-icon-small-win

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
You can not compere impulse system and a real standalone as autronic ,motec or kms:) thats just the way it is

Please elaborate on this. I am interested to know how the Impulse Standalone Fuel Management system is not "a real standalone". Always looking to broaden my knowledge of Impulses turbo kit components. Thanks, Kevin

M

MCX KILLER

Banned
Aug 21, 2011
Please elaborate on this. I am interested to know how the Impulse Standalone Fuel Management system is not "a real standalone". Always looking to broaden my knowledge of Impulses turbo kit components. Thanks, Kevin

Last edited:
D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
X2 what Motley said, also curious if we're going to see any of this stuff run In BC this winter or just a bunch of flat land and dyno tested fuel systems??

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
You can not compere impulse system and a real standalone as autronic ,motec or kms:) thats just the way it is

wth are you talking about? Tell me what software or hardware attributes autotronic,motec,or kms has that is superior to the impulse standalone? Oh wait, you don't even know what brand the impulse standalone is, so there is no way you can even compare...

M

MCX KILLER

Banned
Aug 21, 2011
wth are you talking about? Tell me what software or hardware attributes autotronic,motec,or kms has that is superior to the impulse standalone? Oh wait, you don't even know what brand the impulse standalone is, so there is no way you can even compare...

Last edited:
Premium Features