• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hifax too wide to take off!!!

P
Sep 14, 2008
I'm trying to replace the hifax on our 07 apex mt but the hifax is too wide to fit through the track holes. It's the 162 maverick. Somebody tell me what i'm doing wrong or a tip to get it off before saturday.

P
Sep 14, 2008
It's about an eighth inch on each side so i better not cut up the track and i don't want to pull the skid because a bolt on the rear right side is so tight it just spins the tube. It makes me want to pull my hair out because i have to have it ready by sat for the drags.:mad:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
pull the skid....take a strip of brass,wrap around tube,pipe wrench, and take bolts out...there is NO other way unless u cut the track holes

how ever you may be able to remove rear wheels and scoot track over enough to clear hifax but it is 1000 times better to yank the skid. As when u go to put the new ones on its much easier on a bench with the skid upside down.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
get the hyfax back as far as you can, then get a vise grip locked onto it. Lube up the window and hyfax and hank it out of there. Eric

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
its a tight fit but i just pulled my hyfax thourgh the window with no cutting. the windows will flex apart enough. just tight vise grips and pull hard. done it multiple times

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Another vote for cutting the windows.

We made our own slide hammer set up with a vice grips and some all thread. I pull them through the windows every time.

G
Aug 20, 2008
They will fit through the windows with a bit of force. You just get them through the windows a few inches, start the sled, put it in reverse and give just a bit of throttle. It pops off in a split second.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
Loosen track to the max.

Back the Hifax until it hits the track.

Use a lubricant.

Use WD40 on the rail so that the lubricant goes down into the hifax for the length of the rail. Sometimes they are almost baked on there.

Use vise grips and turn the hifax just a little it will fit throught the window.

It will not be easy but it will come through the window.

Hope this helps.

I also used a regular flat screw driver and a hammer to get the hifax started.

Premium Features