• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMK Trail to pull a snow groomer? Yay/Nay?

W
Jan 22, 2019
I am currently pulling a home made snow packer/trail groomer with a 1997 Trail 440 short track. Now that we have more snow, I am getting stuck more often and having to travel at higher speeds - which isn't good for grooming.

I am looking to upgrade to something with a larger footprint and more aggressive track. My budget is not great as it is just my own funds.

I am wondering if an RMK Trail might do the job? It is fan cooled, has a 136 or 144 track and an aggressive track. Somewhere between the 1997 to 2003 kind of range.

I know that a Bearcat, Expedition, Skandic, VK540 would be the best, but I am hoping to get something for under $3000 and I don't think I will find one of those for that price.

What would be not good about using the RMK? Thoughts welcomed!!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I am currently pulling a home made snow packer/trail groomer with a 1997 Trail 440 short track. Now that we have more snow, I am getting stuck more often and having to travel at higher speeds - which isn't good for grooming.

I am looking to upgrade to something with a larger footprint and more aggressive track. My budget is not great as it is just my own funds.

I am wondering if an RMK Trail might do the job? It is fan cooled, has a 136 or 144 track and an aggressive track. Somewhere between the 1997 to 2003 kind of range.

I know that a Bearcat, Expedition, Skandic, VK540 would be the best, but I am hoping to get something for under $3000 and I don't think I will find one of those for that price.

What would be not good about using the RMK? Thoughts welcomed!!

IMO, I'd be looking for an IQ 600 or something that was liquid-cooled ..... It seems to me like towing a groomer with a larger fan-cooled engine wouldn't be ideal, and since you're talking about used sleds, I'd think you could probably look around and find one that's liquid cooled.

Case in point, I have a friend who just bought a 2013 600 RMK in near-perfect shape for his son for $3500 .... so I'm sure you can find something. With a liquid cooled sled you can run ice-scratches to assist in keeping it cool while towing.

My $0.02.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
^ What he said. But consider, if you can already pull it with an older 440, I don't see any issue with a 550 doing the job.
You can find cherry 550s for 1/2 your budget. I bought a very nice one, 99 or 2000 with low miles, 144 track and some other nice mods for about $1500 5 years ago for one of our boys. Just sold it for $1500. Guess that's about the going rate for a dialed in Gen II chassis rmk 550...

Premium Features