• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

yellow warning light - temp/gearing nytro

S
Dec 30, 2008
i just bought me a Yamaha nytro m-ride 162" and on my first run in -17c(1F)
a yellow warning light came on and in the display temp warning came up.
the sled is Stock, low milage 900km.
a bit concerned temp warning in so Cold conditions.

Iam super happy With my first 4-stroke and Yamaha.

I also Wonder if there is any recommended gearing for this sled, i dropped it from 22/40 to 21/40, i think it still needs some gearing for my type of riding.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Some people have had issues while others don't The Nytro cooling system has always been inadequate even in cold temps. there is no real air flow threw the radiator and or engine compartment to begin with. I also never realized until this year when i actually installed a tunnel cooler and removed the OEM radiator that the inlet and outlet of the OEM radiator are actually in the middle of it. So actually you only get benefit of half the radiator to begin with. Its just a poor design. You take that and the lack of air flow threw it and you can have problems regardless.

First thing i would check to see if the the fan is operational. if it doesn't come on that would block the majority of what little air goes through it. I would also check coolant level to make sure there is no air in the system. Run it with the cap off to see when the thermostat opens if the fluid level drops. Also some well placed vents in the cowling can help get the hot air out from under the cowling
as far as gearing the MTX's were geared 21-20 top and 40 bottom and there has been a long debate on gearing them down verses not. Quite a few people have said that 19/40 is great. Some people have gone down to 18/40 and said the same thing. I believe the 2011 and newer sleds came with 18/40 to help with bottom end with the factory boost option to help with turbo lag down low. I have a 163 with stock gearing and never had any issues.

Good sleds but they have a few flaws that you just have to deal with. you either like the nytro or you don't it takes time to figure out which camp you fall into. good luck and enjoy the snow you have we don't have any in the Reno/Tahoe area at all its scary because Reno gets its water from the snow pack

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I have never had any issues with cooling even with the turbo installed. I have a temp gauge and I have never seen it higher than 170, usually would run in the 120 range in powder. I would look for air in the system also.

I have 19 40 gearing and I have ridden another almost identical sled with 18 40. The lower gearing is better from a stop but not much difference after that. If you change I would go to an 18 40. I think you would like the difference.

S
Dec 30, 2008
thanks for the replies, i am going to check for air and i read that Yamaha uses 100% antifreeze and no water. If that is the case that is just weird.
i have learned 50-60% antifreeze and the rest water.

i absolutely love my New mtx sled, and i have owned several polaris and AC.
i do not understand the fuzz about the weight and that the 4-stroke engine is slow.
I would describe it as smooth, tough and the tourqe is just amazing.
The Yamaha is a much better sled to ride Comfort wise and i witnessed 5 New pro Assaults having a hard time on a hill With lots of fresh powder during Xmas.
And a Friend of mine came with a Stock MTX and just whent straight up with no issues( he is a very good rider tough) That juste sold me:)

Think i am going to try 19/40, i Guess i need to buy a New Chain also.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
If you are going to go with lower gearing I would go to the 18 top gear. you might lose a few mph on the trail (if you are one of those people who like to go 80) but it is otherwise better.

Premium Features