• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Call me crazy, but... 98 powder special project

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
My friend generously gave me his 98 powder special chassis since i do not yet have a sled of my own. There are a few missing parts but the only necessary part is the metal piece on the gas can where the fuel lines go into the tank (anyone have one?). It does have a 144 or 151 track, which is quite nice as I wanted something a little bit longer than the stock 136, but not too much.

The tunnel and boards on this sled are pretty flexy, and the back of the tunnel (from the top rear bogeys (not sure of the specific name)) to the bumper seems way too deep. So i got this crazy idea to stiffen it up, and get rid of the crappy stock boards, call me crazy if its not worth it at all.
I would like to cut the stock boards off of the tunnel (as precisely as possible), and replace them with a build of my own modeled after the new polaris pro boards but with a strip of 1x1 1/4 angle aluminum on the tunnel side to stiffen it up.
For the back part of the tunnel I would bend the back plate where the cooler and the bumper attach up , and trim the excess (from where the top rear bogeys attach to the bumper, in a straight line.
I figure this would stiffen the tunnel, and take alot of drag in deep snow out of the equation which is needed because I'll be riding with a 2012 polaris pro 800 163 and I would like to try to keep up with him, except on the hills, he can have those.
I'm just not sure if its worth it on a chassis that old, or if I should look for an 01-04 mountain cat or 1m chassis to drop the engine into... Or just get this one running and be happy with it...

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I would suggest a lot of reading and looking at pictures on here before you start cutting. you can do a lot to make improvements. But remember once you cut it if you will play hell putting it back on. As for the 1m chasis that would be a very big step forward compared to the 1997. But do what you can. Just get out and ride.

Thunder

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
I'm trying to find pictures of any modified powder specials and i'm coming up dry. If anyone knows of any or has one I would love to see some pictures. I'm going to try to find a fuel pump and get the sled running for this winter, and modification will be a summer project.

My main goals are stiffening the tunnel, and reducing snow drag. Hopefully it will come out lighter than what it is, but if it doesn't oh well, I could loose another 10 lbs anyway.

I'm a decent welder and fabricator, and I might be able to get some help from my friend who is a blacksmith.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Cut your losses and just replace the tunnel go with a 2000-04 used tunnel hell I have a 2000 tunnel with a bulkhead all it needs is what you have in that older black block! I also have some clutching parts and other things! Its nice to take a sled apart and build one section by section then you know the intricate details of your sled! I have a '00 600 in an '03 151 chassis that's geared and clutched right if you need any ideas.

WHATEVER YOU DECIDE YOU CAN GET GOOD INFO ON HERE THERES A LOT OF KNOWLEDGEABLE GUYS!

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
RCR3, shoot me a pm on the price of that tunnel/bulkhead. This is a budget build since I'm still a student and this is my first personal sled. If its going to be much cheaper (not including my time) to throw in a new tunnel I will probably do it. I have ridden both an 01 and an 03 arctic cat and the tunnel is much much stiffer than this PS6. Thats what inspired me to taper and modify this tunnel in the first place.
Digger... call me crazy, but I'm open to input.

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
I would like to thank you all and say you guys are by far the best, most helpful, forum goers I have ever seen. I'm going to compile the list of needed parts this weekend, Diving in head first to this project. My first goal is to get it running, then worry about the mods this summer. Thanks Ya'll!

Triple_trouble

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2010
Marquette, WI
Post up some pictures with your progress! Before and after are awesome.

I know I have been toying with the idea of swapping the 700 from the tank (94 zr700) I bought for a song into a mountain cat chassis. I would really like to have a mountain cat, but they aren't very common around my neck of the woods...

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
SHT!

Started the build today, installed the seat/fuel tank(with pump) and handlebars, also sprayed the sled down. Ran into a semi major problem though. The motor I have does not have the flywheel/magneto assembly. My question is can the flywheel be swapped from another engine, or is it balanced specifically to the crankshaft it was on? Can I get it balanced without spending an arm or a leg? Would a used one off ebay work? I have the stator, just no flywheel. If not i'm going to be rebuilding another engine to work in it.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
98 Powder Special;
F1000019.jpg

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
Flywheel and stator swapped from a 500, big thanks to smv for the flywheel. Finally got some good time to work on it this week and got it running last night! I did run into another problem, the clutch is seized, it will not move at all, the engine is in the sled and I really don't want to take it out, I should have pulled the clutch apart and cleaned it all when I had the engine out... rookie mistake. Anyone have any quick fixes without pulling the clutch and doing a full rebuild? Anyone have any quick fixes with pulling the clutch? Whatever happens I just don't want to have to pull the engine back out, royal pain to get in!

The picture is a little out of date, it has handlebars, a less ripped seat, and a hood hinge/bumper.

phonepics2-28-13 511.jpg

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
Got the clutch moving, and the sled driving. Its definitely geared down, the clutching seems good and she rips! Its a blast, should be taking her out on her first real ride tomorrow or wednesday.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
I have a D&D 720 big bore motor for this chassis I ran a few years ago in my 98 ZR and that flat out ripped, and still does but building it to accept cast pistons over the very hard to find 20mm pin 85mm wiescos that were only offered.

Premium Features