• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 rmk keeps dying

V
Feb 7, 2011
I have a 200 RMK 800 that runs like a champ. For about 1/4 mile, then it just dies. After it sits for a couple minutes it fires right up again and I can ride for another 1/4 mile then it dies again, and so on. I have replaced the plugs and the coil. I don't think its electrical since it has good spark. Fuel pump maybe? Anybody have any ideas?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
You ever looked at the pistons for signs of lean seizure? That's about the distance you can go before it re-seizes. Usually it won't lock right up and will start again. Eventually it will die totally.

V
Feb 7, 2011
I guess I don't know as much about engines as I thought. Please explain "lean siezure" I *** ume it would be the engine not getting enough oil and siezing up enough to kill it?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Lean seizure means the engine is not getting enough fuel so it runs hotter than it should. A 2 stroke relies on fuel mixture to cool the piston crown to a certain extent. If it does not get enough fuel the piston gets so hot that it starts to melt. Usually before you melt a hole in the top the piston will expand so much from the heat that it actually 'sticks' to the cylinder wall resulting in a seizure. Not getting enough oil will also cause lots of problems too but usually in the crankshaft and rod bearings.

Last edited:

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
there is no external fuel filter, I have seen sleds that will run then seize and then you can start them, usually can't pull it over right away if there is lack of or no oil.

Premium Features