• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally took out the new apex turbo!!

Aug 15, 2008
Well, I went to Renshaw last week to test out the new MCX Apex. I gotta tell ya, I'm in love. It makes my M8 feel like a 50cc! It's a 290kit with a head shim, running 16#'s of boost. Mixed in 30-40% C111 fuel. Everything worked great, and it was enought to scare the piss out of myself the first day out there!!! Anyways, here's some vids of it.... I know it's nothing like Thunderstruck or anything, but I was a little aprehensive riding it, due to the amount of power and not being used to the chassy... Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeuESarg3R0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQogNXNFN3k&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxNCLlSP2CM&feature=channel

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
boost

Wont be long and i bet you start cranking the boost up higher lol, too much fun hey! Rememeber to mix atleast 50% race fuel if you do.

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
Is your bov/dump working good enough?? That sound it makes when you are letting of the throttle is the turbo slowing down by the air..... Not good for the turbo.

Aug 15, 2008
I'm thinkin the BOV works great. I was just goofin around with the throttle on that little climb just to make it a bit noisier so my firends that weren't there could here what it sounds like. It seems to work great, and I don't really have lag issues at all, or any other issues with it..

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
I'm thinkin the BOV works great. I was just goofin around with the throttle on that little climb just to make it a bit noisier so my firends that weren't there could here what it sounds like. It seems to work great, and I don't really have lag issues at all, or any other issues with it..

If you have a too small or wrong setup BOV it wont open quick enough to let out the boosted air when you let off and close the throttle. This air that cant get out is banging against the turbos compressor wheel and making this chatter/flutter noise. It can and will harm the turbo. The more boost you run the better/bigger BOV you need.

Turbo flutter explained:
Ever wondered why or how you can make your turbo make that 'flutter' sound? It sounds great doesn't it?

The only problem is that this flutter is extremely unhealthy for your turbo. The flutter is caused when the throttle is shut and air caught betweent the free-spinning turbo and the closed throttle (when you have no vent ie blow-off valve).

The consequent back pressure forces the air back through the turbine blades. The more technical term for this is 'cavitation', which places enormous loads on the turbo and can or more than likely WILL lead to premature wear of the turbo bearings and other load-bearing components.

The simple fix is to simply fit a blow-off valve to your current setup or to make sure the blow-off valve you have selected is correctly matched to the output of the turbo and is working correctly (ie not outside its flow capacity).

So whilst it is a great sound and I absolutely love it myself, it pays to try and rid your system of that sound, unless of course you have deep pockets and don't mind forking out for new turbos prematurely

Aug 15, 2008
Hmm.... I have read this before, and I'm still not too sure what to think... I don't get any boost spike or anything of that matter, and I'm not hearing any chatter from the back, just from under the hood where the BOV is.... When i get the oil changed right away here, I'll ask my builder... What does everybody else think??

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
Bov

Yup i hear it too, didnt realize that was bad. But after listening to a pile of t-apex vids on you-tube you can hear the difference. Good ear Zipperno.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Just curious why your mixing in the race fuel for 16 lbs ? I assume this is a 19T kit ? MCX kits are super safe with pump premium 91. Seems like a waste of money, no ?

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
Hmm.... I have read this before, and I'm still not too sure what to think... I don't get any boost spike or anything of that matter, and I'm not hearing any chatter from the back, just from under the hood where the BOV is.... When i get the oil changed right away here, I'll ask my builder... What does everybody else think??

I do not know why it does that, but when I saw the vid i recognized the sound. Ive had the same happen on my car. I had a TIAL 50mm bov on it but the spring was too strong, it didnt respond quick enough. I changed the springs and all was good.

I know mcx uses the small MHI bov fitted to the plenum. At best it just barely good enough. I would replace it with a bigger bov, but remember its also important to have the correct spring for your application.

Good luck!

//Tom

Aug 15, 2008
thanks for the info Zipperno, can you tell me at what exact time on the vid it is doing it?? I will show it to my tuner, thanks.
Summitboy, I have been mixing in race fuel just because the motor had 0km's on it when boosted. I am just putting it in just as a precaution until I get some good K's under my belt on it. Probably is a waist of money, but I figure better safe that sorry right? lol

Oh yeah, what bigger BOV would you guys recommend for this??

Last edited:
Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
thanks for the info Zipperno, can you tell me at what exact time on the vid it is doing it?? I will show it to my tuner, thanks.
Summitboy, I have been mixing in race fuel just because the motor had 0km's on it when boosted. I am just putting it in just as a precaution until I get some good K's under my belt on it. Probably is a waist of money, but I figure better safe that sorry right? lol

Oh yeah, what bigger BOV would you guys recommend for this??

In the first video its at 1:02 and 1:18....

Im not saying its wrong but to me it sounds like chatter/flutter....

Get the bov you have there looked at. I would recommend TIAL or Turbosmart bovs. They are expensive but they work good.

//Tom

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
You're going to love the McX on your Apex. Like others have said... don't run race gas just good premium fuel... waste of money. A few buddies just did turbos on new sleds this year and they put 300 trail miles on them before they started to push them. They changed the oil to a good synthetic and they were good to go.

I run around 14-15 lbs at 5000 feet and about 16-17 at 7500-8000 feet. My sled doesn't sound quite like yours with the BOV, doesn't chatter as much. Mine, I assume is the same kit as yours with the BOV built in the side of the plenum... not sure how one would change it to something else. My wife's Apex with the smaller McX 260 kit has two BOV... one in the side like mine and another one that is external from the intercooler.

Have fun...

Aug 15, 2008
Extreme-one,
I got the 290 kit, and it has the BOV on the side of the intercooler, but looks pretty easy to change. I am going to call Turbosmart tomorrow to get a proper one for my application. Shouldnt' be a big deal to change.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Before you spend your money on a new BOV give Leiphiemer a call at Montana Yamaha and see what they say. Here is Mark's number 406-782-4225, they are the US dealer for McXpress. You could send him the links to the video and he could tell you if there was an issue.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I only run the stock MCX BOV and have never had turbo bark !

Premium Features