• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oh not good

F
Sep 6, 2009
Not being able to leave well enough alone and figuring some good on the sled clutch cleaning and lubing(dry) was alright i pulled my secondary this afternoon and opened her up...Glad i did had a good amount of grease and dirt where grease and dirt shouldnt be..i did find this though, that outer piece that rides down the helix's(i think) that has the nylon rollers. there is a hunk of the ring that goes around the spring that was cracked and from the dirt in the crack its been there awhile, looks like its been rubbing the spring...Anyone know where i can find one of these? Or am i gonna have to replace the entire clutch? If so anyone gotta clutch? Also would it be worth changing the spring while i got it apart? Was really considering taking it to work and trying to tig it back together but the material doesnt look like it'll allow it and i broke it off trying to straighten it out.:D Thanks gents!!

clutch.jpg

F
Sep 6, 2009
Ok did finally dig up a microfiche of it
http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/Arcticcat_OEM/ArcticcatSnow.asp?Type=13&A=446&B=17

So if i'm reading that right i just need to order the plate and rollers? Would be 60 threw those guys which is alot less than expected

0748-018 PLATE,ROLLER-ASSY
0648-123 ROLLER,DRIVEN CLUTCH-PLASTIC

Are these arctic cat part #s? I have a great parts guy at RPM in lakewood i'll try tomorrow if these are correct, and btw about the spring i have a red one now

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Arcticcatpartshouse.com is $39.60 plus shipping. Thats about what it cost me for just the rollers and a bushing at my local stealership!

F
Sep 6, 2009
I'm not expert on clutching, but i imagine all this is balanced.....which brings me to the question, were expecting quite a bit of snow in town and the neighbor is supposed to have money for my skidoo tomorrow which would leave me without a toy to mess with if we do get pounded, since that little piece is broken off and not rubbing the spring anymore would this be safe for me to put back together just in case i "need" to go play in the fields by the house or would this throw it into some sort of weird catostraphic shake?:eek: atleast till i get my parts in

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
anyone? Was thinking about squaring off the broken side and cutting out opposite side to even it out, guy across the street has a metal lathe....

If it was on the primary I wouldn't do it. But on the secondary I wouldn't worry about it.

IMO Run it, get a new one and install.

I know for a fact if I had found this on my sled on a Saturday night and had a ride planned for Sunday morning and couldn't find one. I would run it!

Thunder

F
Sep 6, 2009
Got it all back together and off the trailer in the garage, went to pull it forward so i could back the trailer back in and it hung again:( almost seems like possibly the primary is my issue, i got like 14"+ in my yard and a good amount in the street so hoping like hell we get pounded tonight so i can run it around and try to troubleshoot it, any thing i should be looking for on these?

F
Sep 6, 2009
My brother was wondering, he went to school for powersports, however never really stayed up with the sleds, went to work for harley and then got hardcore into crotch rockets and quads, could the fact that its got the springs for 5-9k feet be playing a role in this? Possibly the weights, i'v never really heard of it but started wondering myself

F
Sep 6, 2009
Ok primary clutch is my issue, tried gettin it going 2night and wasnt going to happen, me and my brother messed with it some and got it stuck all the way engaged and cant pull it apart, not sure it ifs corrosion on the shaft or what the deal is, probably should just buy a upgrade clutch, i'd have to be sure this one is taken care of before i hit the hills. did get some riding in lol trusty ol 94 summit pounded my back and front yards lol

clutch1.jpg

F
Sep 6, 2009
Question 1 is can i remove this bastard without the special clutch puller tool?
Question 2 is how can i keep this thing compressed to remove the outer plate? Since its engaged the spring is under pressure i just picture that going sour on me rather rapidly:eek:

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
You can pull the cover without taking the fixed sheave off of the crank. (Not the way I would do it but can be done). So you will need the right clutch puller to get it off the crank and some good luck.

If you decide to pull the cover without taking the fixed sheave off of the crank you can get a long piece of threaded stock and a couple large flat washers. Thread the stock into the clutch threads after you remove the clutch center bolt. Then tighten up the nut to hold the cover down. Then remove the cap screws. Back off the nut, making sure the threaded stock isn't unscrewing from the clutch! and you will have it apart. If you have spider problems you will have to pull the entire clutch no matter what. About the only thing you can do with cover off is change the weights a bit easier and change the spring plus inspection.

Thunder

F
Sep 6, 2009
Go figure get home last night all stoked to pull it off, only damn socket i do not have in my toolbox is a 1/2" 12point...and 15 mins after the last store i could have gotten one from closed....i was able to get it opened back up with some pulling and a crap load of brakekleen, kinda looking like i may have some crap on the shaft, should know this week

Premium Features