• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 MOTOTRAX/2017 XTRAINER

H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
Received an email this morning from Mototrax (I did tell them to take me off their list) but I guess they didn't.
MTX's email stated that they could sell me a 2018 kit and give me a $1050 rebate the biggest in the company's history.

IMO What MTX should do is give that $1050 and upgrades to every customer and people who have that bought used 2017 kits.
After all the 2017 kits needed all the 2018 upgrades to meet the standards that MTX put in their MARKETING of the 2017 kits.

Just make it right Mototrax and start off 2019 with a clean slate.
(I sold all (2 new 1 used) the 17 MTX kits I had, 50% off dealer cost & full disclosure about them.

DSCN2049.jpg

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I agree. Apparently the new owners don’t understand the situation they have created. I emailed them asking about the front yoke thing that I need for my 2017 that was apparently not needed last year “unless you’re racing” whatever that means. But this year suddenly it’s standard equipment.

Email was never responded to.

*Sigh*

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I agree. Apparently the new owners don’t understand the situation they have created. I emailed them asking about the front yoke thing that I need for my 2017 that was apparently not needed last year “unless you’re racing” whatever that means. But this year suddenly it’s standard equipment.

Email was never responded to.

*Sigh*

I had a similar experience. Ended up paying for the EVO link and ski mount as the "racer package" and now both are standard. Luckily, a local dealer has helped me get a few other things warrantied.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
That rear slide joint will continue to be a weak spot until they engineer that joint so that the male and female portions can stay in alignment while leaning. The worn bushings and broken male portion (at the cross shaft) are the result of binding/bending between male and female portions of the slide joint when leaned. A heim joint at the cross shaft male shaft connection would fix the issue. A heim joint and a little longer male and female portion would increase durability drastically. The main motolink connection is a heim, the slide joint behind it is subject to similar forces and should articulate the same. The springs and air shock thingy are band aids.

E
Dec 19, 2007
the air shock looks like a really good idea how hard would it be to lock the pivot on the main arm so it doesn't lean at all? With the new track it has the lean feature built in paddle design for hard surfaces anyway and in soft snow I don't think it needs to lean so much

H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
IDS (Intelligent Damping Shock)
Got another email, another upgrade $$$

Thanks to the 2017 Mototrax R&D club.

Better reinforce the side panels and idler wheel cross shaft (the next weak points)

My point is you guys spent a lot of time & $$$ doing MTX's R&D and did not get compensated for your efforts. The pics shown are what I had to do to make the MTX work. I am out of the game now, its good to see that R&D team is still working together (some by choice some not)

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
the air shock looks like a really good idea how hard would it be to lock the pivot on the main arm so it doesn't lean at all? With the new track it has the lean feature built in paddle design for hard surfaces anyway and in soft snow I don't think it needs to lean so much

The lean factor is why I'm still riding a mototrax. Take away the lean and it has no advantage over any other kit. I also have the ts 2.5 track on mine. I can hold a turn much easier on the mototrax than on my timbersled. I can maneuver thru tight stuff easier with the leaning mototrax. It can be designed to lean durably but, they need to hire an engineer or experienced fabricator.

S
Sep 2, 2016
Park City, UTAH
The lean factor is why I'm still riding a mototrax. Take away the lean and it has no advantage over any other kit. I also have the ts 2.5 track on mine. I can hold a turn much easier on the mototrax than on my timbersled. I can maneuver thru tight stuff easier with the leaning mototrax. It can be designed to lean durably but, they need to hire an engineer or experienced fabricator.

Dooman92, Did you know SnowTech MX has an extremely durable & controlled pivot with lean?
I found the MT pivot to be unpredictable in high-speed & high-load situations, even with their "racer package"(haha) installed.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Dooman92, Did you know SnowTech MX has an extremely durable & controlled pivot with lean?
I found the MT pivot to be unpredictable in high-speed & high-load situations, even with their "racer package"(haha) installed.

SnowSkull, Interesting, no I did not know snow tech mx had a pivoting system. Unfortunately, I've never seen a snow tech. I will check their web site for details. I take it you have ridden both. Any positive or negatives that come to mind?

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Can anyone that has run the “racers” front yoke thing advise on its effect on handling? I’d consider fabricating one if it makes a big difference. If it’s only to hold the track on then I don’t need it as my track seems to stay on.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
SnowSkull, Interesting, no I did not know snow tech mx had a pivoting system. Unfortunately, I've never seen a snow tech. I will check their web site for details. I take it you have ridden both. Any positive or negatives that come to mind?

It's like comparing a tinker toy to a leihbherr. Snowtech don't mess around.

39272033322_d3dfdc2ddb_h_d.jpg

34505686396_ded2dd3823_h_d.jpg

34385966352_55f0960b6f_h_d.jpg

34161121100_cd2fae788a_h_d.jpg

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Can anyone that has run the “racers” front yoke thing advise on its effect on handling? I’d consider fabricating one if it makes a big difference. If it’s only to hold the track on then I don’t need it as my track seems to stay on.

I put the front yoke on last season, probably 50hrs without, 100 with. I did not notice any substantial handling change. It does stabilize the front of the rails somewhat and shares the load (keeping the rails parallel with the track) with the rear slide joint. That rear slide joint wears quicker without the yoke. As with other aspects of kit, I wasn't overly impressed with engineering of yoke. I replaced the male portion with a longer one so that it terminated outside rather than inside the bore of female portion. Their setup allowed the male shaft to wear and go out of parallel with bore. Also replaced plastic bushings on shock bolt that wear quickly, and provided means to grease all wear points. I feel the yoke or some means to stabilize the rails is necessary. Without you run the chance of breaking off that rear slide joint. Hope this helps..

S
Sep 2, 2016
Park City, UTAH

Hey dooman92, yes rode the MT last season & beginning of this, before making the switch over to the SnowTech MX. Along with backcountry riding, I'm also racing in the AMA SnowBike Championship series, so I've been pushing the kits fairly hard. I could create a short story on the differences, but bottomline is that I'll never ride a MT again. The SnowTech MX just simply is what you imagined how a SnowBike should perform & holdup. If you make it to an AMA SnowBike race, or ever around Park City, Utah, I'd be more than happy to show you the SnowTech MX in person.

Premium Features