• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new Boondocker vs new silber

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heC4Rp54Ya0

Well here is BD sponsered rider Chris Big Air Burandt. Dont you think his sled would be running the best of the best?

You can clearly hear the sled DET a few times and go into limp mode. Also causes him to crash his sled. Luckily he dont pay for anything.

Bottom end sounds alittle rich when he lets the rpm's go down low enough.

But seriously listen to that than det.

Just because Chris runs a BD doesn't mean its the best of the best. It means BD most likely gave him the kit for pure advertisement. Its like saying professional motocrossers, racers choose a car or bike or something on a bike because its the best when in reality its because its one of their sponsors so they have to run it.

Hitting a DET light like that a few times tells me that its not dialed in.

H
Aug 18, 2010
It actually scares me we have guys running turbo's with so little knowledge about sleds and sled tuning they have to ask this question. These are to different companies doing two different things. It's really not fair to either one too try to compare them.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Just because Chris runs a BD doesn't mean its the best of the best. It means BD most likely gave him the kit for pure advertisement. Its like saying professional motocrossers, racers choose a car or bike or something on a bike because its the best when in reality its because its one of their sponsors so they have to run it.

Hitting a DET light like that a few times tells me that its not dialed in.
To add to that, Chris's sleds are custom built by VOHK, not sure about his sleds this year, but BD just made the hardware on his first pro's and chris woog did the tuining. Having a comparison between your BD set up and his BD set up is like saying since ken block's Ford Focus has 600+ hp and a sub 2 sec 0-60 then your ford focus will do the same.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
To add to that, Chris's sleds are custom built by VOHK, not sure about his sleds this year, but BD just made the hardware on his first pro's and chris woog did the tuining. Having a comparison between your BD set up and his BD set up is like saying since ken block's Ford Focus has 600+ hp and a sub 2 sec 0-60 then your ford focus will do the same.

wait I thought I could get Ken blocks fiesta at the local ford dealership.....now Im pissed.

P

phatboyfilms

Oct 7, 2008
Having a comparison between your BD set up and his BD set up is like saying since ken block's Ford Focus has 600+ hp and a sub 2 sec 0-60 then your ford focus will do the same.

now thats funny..... all in good fun, hope we get lots of snow this wk.!

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
You can also see a small slab of an avalanche get triggered right underneath him when it hits the det.. That's probably what made Chris fall off his sled.
It still make you wonder about the det issues?

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
It actually scares me we have guys running turbo's with so little knowledge about sleds and sled tuning they have to ask this question. These are to different companies doing two different things. It's really not fair to either one too try to compare them.

Are you serious? It's the most apples to apples comparison on the forum. Whats BD trying to do that Silber isn't? It's all about horsepower, reliability, throttle response, and ease of tuning. Ya, it's not fair to compare two companies building turbo kits for the same sled. :face-icon-small-dis

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
That video makes BD look horrible. Burandt probably puts on more turbo hrs than anyone and you'd think his stuff would run flawless. I would have thought Slednecks would edit that stuff out being BD is one of his major sponsors.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
dont bring brant to canada, he will get eat alive... sad video

That video makes BD look horrible. Burandt probably puts on more turbo hrs than anyone and you'd think his stuff would run flawless. I would have thought Slednecks would edit that stuff out being BD is one of his major sponsors.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Anyone know what turbo both these kits use? Are they the same?

I

IQRTurbo

Dec 2, 2010
Central MN
Each kit uses a 2860 but the one Silber uses has a custom wheel specifically designed for the 800 2 stroke. It is designed lighter for quicker spool up. I have had a boondocker setup for the last three years and just installed a Silber turbo on my PRO a couple days ago. Riding next week back to back and also have a new Boondocker pro with all the goodies to text against. Will get back with some insight in a few days.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Are you serious? It's the most apples to apples comparison on the forum. Whats BD trying to do that Silber isn't? It's all about horsepower, reliability, throttle response, and ease of tuning. Ya, it's not fair to compare two companies building turbo kits for the same sled. :face-icon-small-dis

WTF are you serious? Granted we are comparing two alike sleds but not two alike turbo kits. The BD has, IMO, a more advanced electronic tuning capability. If you notice in the video watch how Chris constantly chops the throttle. Most riders do not ride like that and will probably not have a issue with DET like you see in the video. I do know that Chris tunes his equipment to a knats *** and will make an adjustment to dial out the DET issue. I am so tired of people bashing BD or Silber turbo kits, both happen to work very well. Some people assume because he is Chris Burandt that his equipment will run flawless and he gets the best of the best. He and Eric Woog are a important part of BD's testing and R & D department. Without their testing and reporting to BD "our" kits might not perform as well as they do. I think what I am trying to say is why do we have a dick contest on who's $hit is better than the other? If a person has to use a forum discussion to base his purchase of a certain turbo kit, maybe a turbo is not in his best interest. Sorry for the long winded rant.:face-icon-small-coo

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
The end of this video show the same thing...and no chopping the throttle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CV8pEfaM9g

They really should edit those out :face-icon-small-win

So whats your point? That is last years video of Eric testing a new setup. Do you want to continue to bash BD? If so let me know, I have a few opinions of Justins stuff, I just prefer to keep it to myself. I was taught a long time ago, if I dont have anything good to say, I keep my mouth shut.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Each kit uses a 2860 but the one Silber uses has a custom wheel specifically designed for the 800 2 stroke. It is designed lighter for quicker spool up. I have had a boondocker setup for the last three years and just installed a Silber turbo on my PRO a couple days ago. Riding next week back to back and also have a new Boondocker pro with all the goodies to text against. Will get back with some insight in a few days.

You sure about this?

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Not bashing...Just saying that I would have edited those out.

Hitting Det while tuning is no big deal....you just hope that the DET causing you to lose your sled down a hill wont be the Slednecks/Go Pro clip of the week.:face-icon-small-win

You dont see Skidoo commercials where they blow a belt.....Polaris where they lock up a piston..........

Last edited:
A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
I'm with Super Dave3 in that I think people are waayyy to quick to bash BD, it's like they just can't wait for an opportunity and half the time its not in context. Just some sort of attempt to down play all the good and exaggerate any potential flaw or hijack a positive thread about BDs performance.

But I disagree with the idea that these forums or threads are not a good way to compare turbos against each other or to gather information about which one to purchase. I mean he(( what other avenues do people have to research?? If you just talk with manufacturers your going to get a sales pitch. I don't know of any dealers that carry both or multiple turbo brands to get their input from. Riders typically know a lot about the kit they purchased but usually don't know a lot about the competing kits.

Point is, SW is a great place to gather information, learn about products (the good and the bad), make relevant comparisons and even to influence your purchasing decision. Saying,....

"If a person has to use a forum discussion to base his purchase of a certain turbo kit, maybe a turbo is not in his best interest."

Is kinda complete BS in my opinion.

Last edited:

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I sell both Silber and BD products:face-icon-small-coo

BD makes good products, I just feel that Silber makes a better one for this application.

We have a customer who has a 2011 we just put a Silber on and his buddy paid Vohk for the fully loaded BD package personally tuned by Vohk. That will give us a good season long comparison :face-icon-small-coo There isn't enough snow here to tell the difference in performance anyways.

Right off the bat the BD was $7xxx.00 and the Silber $5xxx.00 Installed.

Last edited:
J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I haven't seen any bashing of BD or Silber for that matter. The thread was about silber vs boondocker. There were questions asked about intakes and stuff then someone posted what Chris Burandt rode like that should make it the better product. So others simply pointed out that comparing Burandt's setup to the out of the box BD setup is not exactly the same, and simply the video didn't show a great representation of the setup. Now its not BD's fault since after it is installed it is on the tuner, and am sure Burandt keeps his lean and on the verge of that DET light for max power.

Premium Features