• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What weight fork oil

S
Jan 5, 2008
New to the snow bike.

01 KTM 520 exc.

The forks are bottoming out so before I spend $ on a stiffer spring upgrade, and I'm unable to find super stiff springs for those forks, I'm going to change the oil and service the forks and seals.

Lots of options on different weight fork oils. I would assume the lighter weight oil would be best for cold temps but wanted to check with the experts first. Is 5w the best choice.

Thanks

NorWest Suspension

Lifetime Membership
Hi,

You need stiffer springs but yes a 5wt fork oil will work fine. To stiffen up the suspension with just fluid and not changing springs is not really the correct solution to your issue. If you are not able to locate stiffer springs send me a PM and I will see if I can help you with that.

Terry

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Like Terry said, springs are the best (some would say "only") solution, especially on an EXC. If you are going to the trouble of being inside your forks anyway, source some springs and do it all at once. Preloaded isn't the answer either so even adding spacers to your existing springs should just be skipped. Should be able to track down springs for those forks. Even if you can't find the crazy stiff ones, the stock spring weight from the mx bikes would be a vast improvement over the EXC springs which are the softest of the models.

Premium Features