• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oil injection delete

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Don't know if they make a kit so to speak but I know alot of people have done it

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
block off plate and a oil tank from a 440 race sled. The tank holds just a couple of ounces to keep the waterpump gear lubbed. block off plate covers hole left when removing the oil pump.

Let me ask why? oil pumps rarely if ever fail. most "lack of oil" burn downs are miss diagnosed or due to a bad cable. when properly maintained you should never have and issue. Oil injection is convient, meters oil better and is all around a better way to go. Just my $.02

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
ok thanks i will do that.

its one of those 5050 things people love it or hate it. personally im just trying to save some space in my engine bay. i have never had an oil pump problem

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
block off plate and a oil tank from a 440 race sled. The tank holds just a couple of ounces to keep the waterpump gear lubbed. block off plate covers hole left when removing the oil pump.

Let me ask why? oil pumps rarely if ever fail. most "lack of oil" burn downs are miss diagnosed or due to a bad cable. when properly maintained you should never have and issue. Oil injection is convient, meters oil better and is all around a better way to go. Just my $.02
Do it, You will loooose 8 lbs with no expense, Much more consistant and just use a sight tube ,dont need to buy the 440 tank. Oil pump will never use any oil unless you have leak at main seals.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
The point of the small tank is not for usage on a daily basis, its there incase you have a seal go bad and do start using a little oil, that way you don't burn up a pump gear. Its not necessary you can fill the cavity and plug the hole if you want. If your doing this to save weight, i'd still use the small tank, it plus the oil doesn't weight Chit, And you have a little peace of mind. A site tube would work also but it would not give you much back up oil.

Go on a diet and you can loose 8 lbs and safe some money while you at it. Lol

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
If your pump is going out which happens in to a few doo's but they go rich not lean, then I would delete your injection.
It's a bit of a pain to mix your oil everytime and if you have the clear gas tank it will turn brown...I can barelly see gas floating in there anymore.
It does make for some more room though.
And you won't notice 8 lbs either.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Your not going to loose 8 lbs. Maybe a 2lb or 3. You will loose the weight of the plastic tank and the pump, then add the weight of the block off plate and the small oil tank for the seals and the mount for the small tank ect.

The weight you think you are dropping by not carrying 2 stroke oil does not fly.

You still have that oil with you. It is now in the gas tank taking up room where gas was before.

Example: Fill a 6 gallon jug to the very top with gas, now try to dump in a quart of oil. You cannot do it without taking out some fuel. A quart of fuel must be removed before you can add the oil. A sled with a 12 gallon gas tank looses 1/2 gallon of gas from oil displacement at 40:1 ratio

You are just carrying less fluids to start the day. You are just as well off putting 2 quarts less gas in the tank and fill your oil res. 1/2 full at the beginning of the day. You will save at least 6 lbs right there.

Leave your lunch in the car, and bum a 1/2 samich from your bud. Saves 2-3 lbs every time and cuts down on the belly bounce.

J
Feb 4, 2008
The point of the small tank is not for usage on a daily basis, its there incase you have a seal go bad and do start using a little oil, that way you don't burn up a pump gear. Its not necessary you can fill the cavity and plug the hole if you want. If your doing this to save weight, i'd still use the small tank, it plus the oil doesn't weight Chit, And you have a little peace of mind. A site tube would work also but it would not give you much back up oil.

Go on a diet and you can loose 8 lbs and safe some money while you at it. Lol

must have a breather vent! or at least don't fill completely full.

T
Nov 28, 2007
seymour b.c
use the 440 bottle for expansion of the oil. i find i use less oil and sled cosistently runs better. no black streeks when u first take off from idle. i had a check valve fail and all i got for notice was a rod through the block. as soon as warranties are done off comes the injection.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Your not going to loose 8 lbs. Maybe a 2lb or 3. You will loose the weight of the plastic tank and the pump, then add the weight of the block off plate and the small oil tank for the seals and the mount for the small tank ect.

The weight you think you are dropping by not carrying 2 stroke oil does not fly.

You still have that oil with you. It is now in the gas tank taking up room where gas was before.

Example: Fill a 6 gallon jug to the very top with gas, now try to dump in a quart of oil. You cannot do it without taking out some fuel. A quart of fuel must be removed before you can add the oil. A sled with a 12 gallon gas tank looses 1/2 gallon of gas from oil displacement at 40:1 ratio

You are just carrying less fluids to start the day. You are just as well off putting 2 quarts less gas in the tank and fill your oil res. 1/2 full at the beginning of the day. You will save at least 6 lbs right there.

Leave your lunch in the car, and bum a 1/2 samich from your bud. Saves 2-3 lbs every time and cuts down on the belly bounce.
When you take off to ride your sled is at least 8 lbs lighter. Tell us how much a gallon of oil weighs? -oil pump.and plastic. I can tell you, I weighed it and many others who have done this mod can tell you as well, You however have Not done this and should just keep quiet,Since you have not completed this mod , This consistant perfect feul /oil ratio helps an engines life as well.You do not need a reservoir just a clear inspection tube.Your fuel tank is full with premix instead of just gas.and that it! How much $ does it cost in after-market goodies does it take to lose 8 Lbs?.

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
general rule in my expereince seems to be around 70-100$ per LB

but my resevoir holds damn near 8liters i would imagine. it can take a full jug and there is still lots in there.

just trying to eliminate another mechanical system from mountain riding.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
general rule in my expereince seems to be around 70-100$ per LB

but my resevoir holds damn near 8liters i would imagine. it can take a full jug and there is still lots in there.

just trying to eliminate another mechanical system from mountain riding.

You are correct, I have sleds with and without oil injection and an engine will run smoother with premix and loose the weight Free! Stock systems hold almost a gallon of oil..Also the injectors on the cases are just small holes and oil at idle just dripps down to the bottom,Not an even distribution.If you hang your sled from the rear bumper you can fill the oil pump cavity and bolt on the plate ,No mess, This Mod really is a No-Brainer and everyone whos done it will do every sled they buy

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Well, since my oil decided to leak all over my garage this summer after my last ride, I probably need to replace or remove the tank anyway. Anyone have a link to instructions on how to do this?

Rt

a good chance the oil tank cracked from letting go of the pull cord to far back. had this happen to me while still under warranty. they replaced the tank, but i have been careful of this ever since.

J
Feb 4, 2008
When you take off to ride your sled is at least 8 lbs lighter. Tell us how much a gallon of oil weighs? -oil pump.and plastic. I can tell you, I weighed it and many others who have done this mod can tell you as well, You however have Not done this and should just keep quiet,Since you have not completed this mod , This consistant perfect feul /oil ratio helps an engines life as well.You do not need a reservoir just a clear inspection tube.Your fuel tank is full with premix instead of just gas.and that it! How much $ does it cost in after-market goodies does it take to lose 8 Lbs?.

I had my dealer adjust cable twice,from my calculations I still am at about 20:1

S
Dec 11, 2007
Anoka MN
I have an 01 440 mxzx and I am looking for an injector and tank. If you want to have my injector removal stuff off my sled we could work some thing out. Any one know what injectors will work or if it really matters? They all fit so is it just adjusting them correctly? I think it fits revs best I can tell from schematics.
PM if interested

Premium Features