• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick Auto on a little rip

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
https://youtu.be/uHYWAjGn1Xo

Hey guys, thanks to mother nature there is no shortage of snow.! The 850 is amazing with the Sidekick. The Sidekick Auto is so smooth and clean. The ridability is so predictable. The consistency is excellent . We had a crew of 5 the other day and they are all clones.! Though I would share a simple little clip.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
When is one of those ever going to make it to the great Pacific Northwest? ? Be curious to see it side by side with the MPI kit. I have yet to see another Turbo 850 in person this year... Guess I need to drink more beer and stick to the trails :face-icon-small-con

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Why is there a boondocker box? where is it hooked up, ECM or boost injectors

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
When is one of those ever going to make it to the great Pacific Northwest? ? Be curious to see it side by side with the MPI kit. I have yet to see another Turbo 850 in person this year... Guess I need to drink more beer and stick to the trails :face-icon-small-con

Hey Chadly, we were planning a ride with Remko at I-90 in Issaquah, also coordinate with Premier in Yakima. That delayed us because they said "no snow"? If you have a location and snow in mind, let me know. Also if you know those dealers, call them and let's get a ride put together. Here in Montana we're deep. Another 16" last night and more on the way.
P.M. me or call anytime.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Why is there a boondocker box? where is it hooked up, ECM or boost injectors

Good questions. There is a stand alone "Auto box" because we do not touch the factory ECU. No removing it, reflashing it etc. Also the factory ECU is not able to receive additional sensor inputs. We have engineered the Sidekick Auto to receive additional signals and information in order to fine tune the overall operation more precisely. Also the addition of Electronic Boost controll maintains a consists HP to the clutch and track. Boost is increased with elevation and reduced when going back down the mountain. Electronic Boost controll is very common, standard, in modern turbo applications.

The Sidekick Auto box is located on the rack under the hood, right side. No buttons or rider input required. It is all electronic and auto. Just pull the rope and ride.

The four factory injectors are used in their original way. No modifications.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Hey Chadly, we were planning a ride with Remko at I-90 in Issaquah, also coordinate with Premier in Yakima. That delayed us because they said "no snow"? If you have a location and snow in mind, let me know. Also if you know those dealers, call them and let's get a ride put together. Here in Montana we're deep. Another 16" last night and more on the way.
P.M. me or call anytime.

I was in Cooke City last week. I saw 5,743 snowmobiles... Most I have ever seen in my life. Pretty sure everyone, their cousin, and their babysitter's exboyfriend's uncle was there and I was the only Turbo 850 :face-icon-small-dis

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
That I might add some clown crashed into 2 miles up the trail and wrecked it so I had to ride my stocker all week :face-icon-small-con

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Goid questions. There is a stand alone "Auto box" because we do not touch the factory ECU. No removing it, reflashing it etc. Also the factory ECU is not able to receive additional sensor inputs. We have engineered the Sidekick Auto to receive additional signals and information in order to fine tune the overall operation more precisely. Also the addition of Electronic Boost controll maintains a consists HP to the clutch and track. Boost is increased with elevation and reduced when going back down the mountain. Electronic Boost controll is very common, standard, in modern turbo applications.

The Sidekick Auto box is located on the rack under the hood, right side. No buttons or rider input required. It is all electronic and auto. Just pull the rope and ride.

The four factory injectors are used in their original way. No modifications.

Holy [Explitive Omitted]. Mtn Doo *please* stop it. Some of this is correct, some is not. Can you please stop claiming to know stuff you do not? I have pointed this out previously, and it serves the community nill by spreading misinformation or "advertisment" diguised as information. Put some fine print under it if you are going to do this or expect me to call you out.

Again, not bashing BD here - I am sure the Sidekick is a fine product on the 850. But we don't need to make that claim by passive aggressively throwing other companies under the proverbial bus with **information that is not correct**.

1) The factory ECU IS able to take additional sensor input. It is also able to take modified sensor input. This has been used in the field, and I'm happy to explain more. An ECU is a computer. Period. How it is used is completely up to the programmer and computer engineer. Point is, you need to retract this statement. Some manufacturers (okay, one on the Ski-Doo side) can program the stock ECU the same way BD can program their piggyback ECU. How it sees voltage and what it does with said voltage is up to the company. EG - we can re-purpose inputs to do whatever we want.

2) Can you offer some color on what you mean when you say "We have engineerd the Sidekick Auto to receive additional signals and information in order to fine tune the overall operation more precisely"? What additional signals? I assume you are talking about wastegate control? Or is it tying wastegate control with TPS?

3) ALL turbos have some form of boost control. Open loop (mechanical) vs closed loop (electronic boost control). No doubt its cool BD has EBC. But if you are going to bring it up, you also need to mention its limitations. It works in a set range. EG, the system isn't so dynamic as to keep the same HP to the track from 0 feet to 12K. This is why there is a low elevation setup and a high elevation setup. Again, still cool, but its able to keep MAP consistent within some degree of variation. I'd love it if you let us know what this is so we can see first hand how dynamic the controller is.

Again dude - my point here is this is a forum, a place to learn and a place to show how something works in an objective way. Not a free place to put advertisements laced with superfluous adjectives. I know Chadly is going to give me crap for calling you out, but I'm doing so to better inform all of us.

I'm NOT saying BD makes a crap product, I'm saying the opposite. But if we are going to lay facts on the table, do so in a more intelligent way. If you don't, we all lose.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You two guys need to get together and box :face-icon-small-dis Nobody gives a rat's *** about the technicality of a turbo. We just want them to run and from what I have seen they all have problems... I don't wish a turbo on anyone... Unless of course you are white privileged and the 1%. Then you should piss money away on a turbo that runs sometimes but make sure you have an equally as bad *** stocker :face-icon-small-coo

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
You two guys need to get together and box :face-icon-small-dis Nobody gives a rat's *** about the technicality of a turbo. We just want them to run and from what I have seen they all have problems... I don't wish a turbo on anyone... Unless of course you are white privileged and the 1%. Then you should piss money away on a turbo that runs sometimes but make sure you have an equally as bad *** stocker :face-icon-small-coo

No Chadly - YOU don't care about the technicality of a turbo. This is a form of narcissism, assuming your thoughts and feelings are the same as everyone else's. While I appreciate your thoughts, (and hear them) I do not feel you speak for everyone else with respect to *their* desire to understand the technicalities of all of this. Frankly, it matters. Is it academic? Sure. But I'm a Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance guy, I don't fear technology, and believe yeah, the devil is in fact in the details. I also believe the more you understand the less you "fear" technology and the more you can have fun doing all this. (its not a scary box of misunderstanding, but something that can be worked with)

My career is based around "information being correct" (no, my full time job is not in the sled world"). I see quality of information being very important. I value it. You do not. You see "all that" not being important, with the only important thing being this perfect running unicorn machine. No big deal, we have a difference in philosophy, but to tell me "I'm wrong" because we value different things seems a bit short sited. Frankly, I don't see this place having much of a point if this is lost.

Your plight is your plight. I welcome you to come hang out, ride with us, and see turbos work every bit as well as a stocker (just with a lot more power)

You can have your rhetoric and narrative, I have mine. I am trying to help make this community better, which generally means being transparent, being open (note, I asked a genuine question above), being curious and contributing information where I have expertise.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Wow you guys. Send each other emails or something. Nobody appreciates this sort of thing.

JJ 0909, sorry you think this is a thread about something else? The gentleman above simply asked some good questions. He wasn't asking about various other products or the way they function.

I would kindly advise you to come and get schooled on the specifics of the latest system. Then you will be up to speed with the facts of this system. We are discussing some facts about THIS system for mtncat who asked. We are not talking about anyone else. Only answering some simple, factual questions.

mtncat - , Here are again the facts to the questions you were asking.

Yes - Electronic Boost controll - consistent HP
Yes - Stock injectors
Yes - Factory ECU never removed or reflashed
Yes- Additional sensor information used to precisely tune and function

Sorry for the bashing from others. If you have any other questions, just call me directly if you like. Thank you

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Randy, you want to start a war with me? You should tell your employer to not be so cheap and actually buy some ads on this forum instead of you posting about how awesome they are. I have owned 2 BD turbos. One burned completely to the ground in the mountains that you can easily find YouTube videos of. The second ran like complete garbage in which no one at BD could figure out. I've never once bashed BD openly until now but if they are going to have a clown like you posting biased opinions then I shall give my real life experience of their product.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I like that...

"Its not a scary box of misunderstanding..." Ohms law. All ECU's work on simple power input/outputs, power and ground(cycling on and off) and resistance to flow!

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I find these post quite amusing. I believe Randy has a right to post what he does. I don't think he's really out of line, maybe biased to his own product. The factory ECU cannot take inputs from the BD box. Maybe he should have worded it differently. I also like the technical knowledge display JJ lays down. He seems very calculated. In the end... 2S turbo's can work well and be somewhat reliable. If you have one that works well for you day in and day out, you've tuned it well! You meticulously maintain it and you know how to diagnose it when it gives problems.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
jj0909

You are unbelievable. I have never seen another company "troll" in the fashion that you do. I don't see boondocker chiming in on silber posts and acting as if they no more about your kit than you do:face-icon-small-dis

People ask simple questions of boondocker and you go off on a passive- aggressive dissertation and then follow it up with "I'm not saying boondocker doesn't make quality products".

Why don't you let the boondocker people answer boondocker questions and I'm sure they will grant you the same respect by not sticking there nose in silber posts.

No Chadly - YOU don't care about the technicality of a turbo. This is a form of narcissism, assuming your thoughts and feelings are the same as everyone else's. While I appreciate your thoughts, (and hear them) I do not feel you speak for everyone else with respect to *their* desire to understand the technicalities of all of this. Frankly, it matters. Is it academic? Sure. But I'm a Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance guy, I don't fear technology, and believe yeah, the devil is in fact in the details. I also believe the more you understand the less you "fear" technology and the more you can have fun doing all this. (its not a scary box of misunderstanding, but something that can be worked with)

My career is based around "information being correct" (no, my full time job is not in the sled world"). I see quality of information being very important. I value it. You do not. You see "all that" not being important, with the only important thing being this perfect running unicorn machine. No big deal, we have a difference in philosophy, but to tell me "I'm wrong" because we value different things seems a bit short sited. Frankly, I don't see this place having much of a point if this is lost.

Your plight is your plight. I welcome you to come hang out, ride with us, and see turbos work every bit as well as a stocker (just with a lot more power)

You can have your rhetoric and narrative, I have mine. I am trying to help make this community better, which generally means being transparent, being open (note, I asked a genuine question above), being curious and contributing information where I have expertise.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Wow you guys. Send each other emails or something. Nobody appreciates this sort of thing.

JJ 0909, sorry you think this is a thread about something else? The gentleman above simply asked some good questions. He wasn't asking about various other products or the way they function.

I would kindly advise you to come and get schooled on the specifics of the latest system. Then you will be up to speed with the facts of this sustem. We are discussing some facts about THIS system for mtncat who asked. We are not talking about anyone else. Only answering some simple, factual questions.

mtncat - , Here are again the facts to the questions you were asking.

Yes - Electronic Boost controll - consistent HP
Yes - Stock injectors
Yes - Factory ECU never removed or reflashed
Yes- Additional sensor information used to precisely tune and function

Sorry for the bashing from others. If you have any other questions, just call me directly if you like. Thank you

I had a long reply ready for you, but if he can't see how he's not answering my questions or how his advertorial is laced with half assed information, well...its a lost cause in the first place.

Happy to post it if someone else wants to read something informative. Otherwise...you can only lead a horse to water...

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Here is a thought....start your own post.

I had a long reply ready for you, but if he can't see how he's not answering my questions or how his advertorial is a joke, well, its not even worth my time.

Happy to post it if someone else wants to read something informative. Otherwise...you can only lead a horse to water...

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
jj0909

You are unbelievable. I have never seen another company "troll" in the fashion that you do. I don't see boondocker chiming in on silber posts and acting as if they no more about your kit than you do:face-icon-small-dis

People ask simple questions of boondocker and you go off on a passive- aggressive dissertation and then follow it up with "I'm not saying boondocker doesn't make quality products".

Why don't you let the boondocker people answer boondocker questions and I'm sure they will grant you the same respect by not sticking there nose in silber posts.

I am NOT trolling. I also consult for Silber, I am not their main guy. I am here just as much on my own accord as anything. If someone posted half assed information about Silber, I'd be doing the EXACT same thing.

EDIT: TO finish this, I ride with some of the BD guys, I am sitting here saying first hand "I've seen BD product work 100% fine!". You'd literally have to be an idiot to say "BD is terrible" just like a Ski-Doo guy would be an idiot to say "Polaris sucks". That gets us nowhere. But for the people that want to learn something, I'm going to chime in. If I am mistaken, SHOW ME. I'm fine learning something too!

How am I "bashing" the product? I'm refuting Mtn-Doo's half assed information. There is a huge difference... Let me illustrate - Via Mtn-Doo "Also the factory ECU is not able to receive additional sensor input" this comment is wrong. It takes a stab at Silber in a backhanded way. How is me saying "no dude you aren't right here" somehow bashing BD or a problem for anyone?

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
correct....nothing to do with feelings. Its professional courtesy...of which you have none. If Silber employs you to be a professional *** Hat you deserve a raise....If he employs you to professionally represent there company you should be fired!

Again...I urge you to start your own thread in which you can mesmerize yourself with psychobabble.

I didn't realize we were such a participation trophy sport... ":face-icon-small-dis" facts have nothing to do with feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features