• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

blown engine

Buffer

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2017
hey everybody, sad day for me.i bought my first polaris about 2-3 months ago, its a 2012 rmk assault 800 155. it had a 2013 motor put in under warranty 500 miles ago (I verified that with the # on the cylinders when I pulled the engine) when I bought it I checked compression and it seemed to run good but I got maybe 2 miles and boom, took a piston out and a hole in the crank case and believe me lower crank case parts are not easy to find for these. it is the mag side and there looks to be melted pieces in the belly pan. should I just part it out or is it worth fixing

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Damn man that sucks big time!

Sounds like u pretty much need a whole new motor.

U could prolly search the web heavily for months and maybe piece it back together and prolly spend $1,800-$2,300 then who knows how reliable the thing will be (a lot depends on your rebuild skills).
With it running again u could try and sell it but I’m guessing you’d lose $1,800-2,300 and someone else will be getting a questionable sled.

You could spend $3,000+ on a new motor from a reputable like Indydan and have a sled u can feel confident in for the next 4+ years.

Or you could part it out and deal with craigslist/other online classifieds b.s for the next year or two and maybe make half your money back (honestly I haven’t parted a sled but I’ve bought and sold a lot on Craigslist and know how much of a pain it can be, maybe someone with experience parting a sled can chime in) then take that made money and buy another questionable sled.

If my theory’s are correct then the new motor option is clearly the best and quickest option but takes the biggest hit to your wallet. Or does it....
Best of luck to ya!

Last edited:

Buffer

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2017
It really does suck, but toys are always costing u money. I know what u mean about parting it out it is such a pain selling stuff online, i cant even give stuff away for free without hassle. For rebuilding i have rebuilt many cat engines and had no problems. I can get top end kit with rebuilt cylinders for about $1500 canadian and i might have found a bottom half of crankcase. The case is the hard part to find. A new engine is just too much by the time i exchange the $ and shipping from the us is around $400 with import charges so by then i can get a newer sled for that price. If i can find a case i think i will try a rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Right on man. Just make sure u get a really good idea on why it went down in the first place and have the crank checked out by a shop. Turn the oil pump up and keep the temp down and you’ll have a good chance. :beer; :thumb:

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Definitely contact indy specialties. I went thru the pain of parting a sled when I got my current sled. I ended up losing a lot of money. Selling stuff on ebay and getting hit with fee after fee wasn't worth it. I know a couple people who tried to sell rolling chassis of pros and most offers they received were in the thousand dollar range. A buddy of mine last year bought a brand new shortblock from Polaris for 2500 shipped so you could go that route, indy Dan, or keep searching for used parts. They'll show up eventually.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Buffer

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the input, this is a great forum there is a lot of knowledge here. I will tear it apart and try to figure out what happened before i make any decisions on which way to deal with it. Im just going for knee surgery on thurs so as soon as im up and around i will get to it keep u updated for some help

Buffer

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2017
Surgery cancelled due to or full after freezing rain slip and falls so i pulled it apart last night, its not good. Cylinder is broke, upper and lower case broken, head has very minor scores and reed case is damaged. Cases and cylinder not even good for core exchange.
1c7898c059df6145e1b2f18f328cdc3f.jpg
8b448c57c0b3d6fd9e02bd1fc800143e.jpg
4bd0ccc82893ddd9b1129c4e3d378b9a.jpg
df476ad099a32f14b7474582a39205cb.jpg

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Looks like to much piston/cylinder clearance caused piston rocking, broke the piston and cylinder skirt granading pieces through the case.

If this motor really only had 500miles on it then it’s hard to imagine it had that much piston/cylinder clearance that caused it to go down like that! But I’m sure some guys on here can share similar stories.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Surgery cancelled due to or full after freezing rain slip and falls so i pulled it apart last night, its not good. Cylinder is broke, upper and lower case broken, head has very minor scores and reed case is damaged. Cases and cylinder not even good for core exchange.
1c7898c059df6145e1b2f18f328cdc3f.jpg
8b448c57c0b3d6fd9e02bd1fc800143e.jpg
4bd0ccc82893ddd9b1129c4e3d378b9a.jpg
df476ad099a32f14b7474582a39205cb.jpg

Indydan can fix all that.

With warranty.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Wow that's ****ty! At first glance it looks to me like the case may be repairable, by that I mean welded up. Main reason of failure indeed appears to be the "infamous" piston skirt failure. Crappy it happened so soon, I'd maybe split the cases and look. I just did a overhaul on my engine, however case was fine. Head, cylinders, piston update kit from mtntk and reman crank, approx 2300$ Canadian for those parts alone.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Get in touch with idydan, give him all the info he wants and get a qoute. He'll fill you in on whats possible and the costs.

And I'll second that getting a motor from Dan is a LOT safer than from Polaris. He makes them better and performs the quality check and part fitment that all the manufacturers WISH they could do.

Being it is season, I'd consider getting a new/reman shortblock ASAP and be riding again.
Heard of Adrien Bernard?
http://www.cvtech-aab.com/en/134-short-and-long-block.html?make=POLARIS&model=800+RMK&year=2013#/reference-sb22037174

Luck!

Buffer

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2017
I didnt think it was repairable, if you look close on the case it is broken around a couple of spots where the bolts go through and the cylinder is has chunks broken off the bottom (half of it is missing). I have a used one on the way from a sled wrecker in alberta for $1500 shipped. I think i will put a fix kit in it right away

Buffer

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2017
Ive heard so much good things about indydan but the sled is too old to put that much cash into, it would be as much as my sled is worth.

Buffer

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2017
Get in touch with idydan, give him all the info he wants and get a qoute. He'll fill you in on whats possible and the costs.

And I'll second that getting a motor from Dan is a LOT safer than from Polaris. He makes them better and performs the quality check and part fitment that all the manufacturers WISH they could do.

Being it is season, I'd consider getting a new/reman shortblock ASAP and be riding again.

Heard of Adrien Bernard?

http://www.cvtech-aab.com/en/134-sh...model=800+RMK&year=2013#/reference-sb22037174

Luck!

If i hadnt bought one from a wrecker already i would have considered Adrien Bernard, the price is very reasonable.

Thanks everyone for all the info

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I didnt think it was repairable, if you look close on the case it is broken around a couple of spots where the bolts go through and the cylinder is has chunks broken off the bottom (half of it is missing). I have a used one on the way from a sled wrecker in alberta for $1500 shipped. I think i will put a fix kit in it right away

$1500 plus a fix kit is $2000 ish?

You still have to build the motor.

There’s a really good chance indydan could get you going for the same money but with much more peace of mind.

Unless you are selling the sled right away?

Add to the unreliability stigma. (However true it may be ) it’s still a stigma.

Buffer

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2017
I would be a little over $4000 can. Shipping, duties and taxes boost the price way up

Premium Features