• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

who's running a two stroke on snow ?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Those KTM Freerides are fun to ride. They climb anywhere ! My buddy bought one in Australia and had it shipped to Canada. My kids liked it as well ! Wouldn't make much of a snowbike LOL

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If there was a way to buy a brand new KX500af I would trade my YZ450 in a heart beat. I don't quite know enough or have the equipment to build my own unfortunately. Darn California green sticker laws are probably what killed the 500 two strokes...

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
If there was a way to buy a brand new KX500af I would trade my YZ450 in a heart beat. I don't quite know enough or have the equipment to build my own unfortunately. Darn California green sticker laws are probably what killed the 500 two strokes...

You can buy a brand new KX500AF today! Call and ask for AJ at Service Honda in Indiana. He will ship it to your door. They are busy building new KX and CR's every day. Tell him Randy said "HI".

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
You can buy a brand new KX500AF today! Call and ask for AJ at Service Honda in Indiana. He will ship it to your door. They are busy building new KX and CR's every day. Tell him Randy said "HI".

Where do they find brand new motors? I'll have to contact them and see what the price tag is, that would be awesome.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You can buy all parts for the CR500. They just buy the parts and build the bike.

Brand new !

2uy0sa9.jpg

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Where do they find brand new motors? I'll have to contact them and see what the price tag is, that would be awesome.

Service Honda has an arrangement with Kawasaki and Honda for "NEW" engines and all the extra's. They will build you a brand NEW 500AF. :)

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You will pay 3500-4000 for a new one. Find a used one and build it yourself. I know a great builder for the machining and porting. It's fun and easy to do !

T
Nov 16, 2013
I'm building a cr500af 05crf 450r frame1990 motor trickracing1 is building a 4 mill stroker for me.he build's a twin cr500 1000cc 200 hp

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
250 ?

got issues with 4 stroke power in soft stuff , and I own a few, so made my first ride on antique YZ250 snobike today. guys that never owned one said 250s were underpowered ? so had to find out for myself.

When I shopped for a YZ250 found out the motor is same back to basiclly 98, so $600 for YZ 250 and I was styling. New nicisil, new piston etc, new crank, seals etc etc. Threw away alllll the plastic, bought old used desert tank......way ugly, big tube air intake, well did use badly faded stock rear fender and seat frame.

1st ride today........250s are going to work.......pulling a 136 with lugs
way fat, still worked
light and has wheelie potential
minimal heavy front end nose diving in the wet wet ( powder ?) thats a stretch
gota love that ring a ding sound
calling my pal thats puting a new KTM 250 smoker in play.......give him some encouragement.

thermostat worked
carb heater worked
big air tube air intake worked

new light and tool kit

12 1 13 yz parking lot dan background.JPG

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Very nice ! Get yourself a Smartcarb and it will be perfect ! A friend of mine has a pretty modified YZ250 with a little BB and some porting and head work. It's very strong ! Nice to see

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Yep , rode today with yzf450 efi and ktm 500, both were hard to start when we unload , the 300 one kick haha, deep powder in a steep climb the ktm 500 was turning out, my 300 over the top,, side by side climbing he was pulling 2nd gear I was in 3rd passing , both with 20,20 gearing in kit..not to talk it up to much,but the 2 storke works , works very well .

nw-sickboy

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
Meridian ID
Can you give us some more info on your intake?

got issues with 4 stroke power in soft stuff , and I own a few, so made my first ride on antique YZ250 snobike today. guys that never owned one said 250s were underpowered ? so had to find out for myself.

When I shopped for a YZ250 found out the motor is same back to basiclly 98, so $600 for YZ 250 and I was styling. New nicisil, new piston etc, new crank, seals etc etc. Threw away alllll the plastic, bought old used desert tank......way ugly, big tube air intake, well did use badly faded stock rear fender and seat frame.

1st ride today........250s are going to work.......pulling a 136 with lugs
way fat, still worked
light and has wheelie potential
minimal heavy front end nose diving in the wet wet ( powder ?) thats a stretch
gota love that ring a ding sound
calling my pal thats puting a new KTM 250 smoker in play.......give him some encouragement.

thermostat worked
carb heater worked
big air tube air intake worked

new light and tool kit

nw-sickboy

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
Meridian ID
300XC

I'm riding a 300 XC this winter. Never been on a snowbike but I'm selling the sled and have a LT waiting to be installed. Rode the dirt track for the last time on Saturday getting the Rekluse Core EXP broke in and adjusted and plan to install the LT this week.

I'm trying to get the carb heater/jacket and intake worked on a bit this week.

I am very curious to see how my bike does with a LT. Coming from sleds I always errored on the side of having a longer track even when on smaller 6-700cc sleds I never regretted it so I went LT with the 300.

I've really enjoyed the 300 build being done on here by MTN-DOO as well. Lots of great info.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
gas and air

When I decided to build 2 stroke bike, roamed the posts looking for information. Two issues came up.........2 strokes use more air, and more air increases chance of carb icing.

so build the pictured air intake. 3" thin wall sewer drainfield pipe. Drilled area under rear fender with holes and cut up the YZ air filter into strips and placed about 4" apart wraped around the tube and glued on. Coved all this with FROGSKINZ brand black fabric. Made a looose big sock I placed over all this to stop big chunks........all likely over cooked, very possibly half as much would work. Post said buy SILICONE carb to 4" adapter off Ebay, fit perfectly. We'll see.

Carb icing. tapped side of thermostat housing after thermostat, ran 1/4" line with ski doo turn off valve, ran copper tube around bell of carb between bell and slide body and ran return into water pump cover.......tig welding project, not sure if it will work, ran hot water through there all day yesterday.........so might do the trick. CYCLOPS said no good big electrical system thats reliable for YZ250, so had to go mechanical to head off carb icing instead of electrical heaters from chineese scooter.

GAS: stock carb running 180 /50 pilot, thats rich by design. And way too fat, so next ride we reduce gas flow. Engine : stock porting, reworked head by me for less compression and crappy gas compatibility, BOY RAD VALVE, FMF Fatty with FMF Muffler, all new engine innards so Sunday was break in day.......in power robbing wet powder, no ideal.

Next.......lectron cause for $100 used and my stack of lectron needles I know its a good step. Been dinking with them for 30 years. When smarties are around in numbers, got to get one on my bench for autopsy to see if they fixed lien mid range that has plagued all the lectron/edlebrock/blue max/megatron carbs.......always crisp....slightly lien. Woods of WMT is polluted with aluminum flakes from big sled engines hucking piston crowns from real crisp throttle response on the Lectrons and Megatrons.

thanks to all posting on the two stroke bikes.......so far all good.

air intake at carb.JPG air intake from back.JPG air box back aways.JPG

Last edited:

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Does your pipe wrap steam ? Did you spray it with a sealant ? If you have time, more info and pics of your intake would be awesome . Did you go fatty for the peak hp ?how did if handle take offs? Would a gnarly not be better for the grunt ?

Thanks in advance it's super helpful to see builds like yours getting posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
My 500 cold pipes a bit if you try to take off too soon. If it's sat for a min or two a guy needs to Rev it up and make sure its cleaned out. Other than that I see no point to pipe insulation.

Don't see a whole bunch of point to bottom end power. Need good mid/top from what I can see.

I run a pretty good amount of de-icer in my fuel. No issues so far.

Premium Features