• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Best all around Bike?" 2013 Build Project

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J

jeffc

Mar 3, 2010
Brakes

Are you running just the hand brake or a dual? Took mine out today for the break in and the hand brake was very spongy feeling and didn't feel like there was much braking.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
Im running a hand brake, sounds like you don't have a very good bleed on it or you're getting snow packed in the caliper. The brakes are OK on theses, but don't expect the performance that you have with the wheels on. Keeping the snow out of the caliper is one reason I built a front tunnel for mine, you can also make a shield out of a mudflap or plastic and attach it to the frame rails.

J

jeffc

Mar 3, 2010
My dealer said that the caliper size or reservoir or something rather is smaller this year on the ktm 450sx and that the timbersled brake line isn't allowing as much braking fluid to the new ktm reduced piston size???

Sounds like if someone is interested in the strongest braking power to use the front braided ktm brake line and tie that to the foot brake directly to the timbersled and running the longer timbersled brake to the hand is the best option so it looks like on my ktm a dual brake system will be more suitable for my tastes.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Are you running just the hand brake or a dual? Took mine out today for the break in and the hand brake was very spongy feeling and didn't feel like there was much braking.

Hand break only. They need a good bleed then may need some exercise to get good and stiff. Once done they work good. When you grab a handful sometimes it feels "dead" or not effective. That is usually the disk and caliper iced up. If you anticipate a big drop coming up, lightly drag your brake a few times. Then it's firm and ice free.

J

jeffc

Mar 3, 2010
What size plastic hose are you attaching to the bleed screw to push the air up? Sound like you recommended on another thread to do that and just open up the master cylinder cover and push the air up and then put the cover back on.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Got a good handlebar deep ride in. The bike is amazing. The air box stayed perfectly clean, which gave ton's of air and keeps HP up. It rev's to the moon in 3rd and pulls like a freight train. :) Time for some vid's, coming soon!

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Are you running the 12 tooth engine spoket or did you change to the 13 ??

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nice vid Rush !. Nice terrain. Hopefully i can make it to the Flathead this year ! I guess ill just have to settle for the chitty Revy pow pow LOL

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
There is always an open invitation to ANYONE who wants to come ride with us down here in the promised land. You should head over to McCall for the Flashpoint Snowbike Races and ride with us and Timbersled all week. It's going to be a blast and great riding with great people. Hell, I might even race the LT!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
LOL Randy. What kind of update is that ? If i guess it right can you send it to me ha ha !!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Ha! :) Ya Chris, Corey said February... That's good timing though. Will be fun. I will probably intro it and post all the testing progress on a separate thread. The SXF with basic mod's is working awesome. I am very happy. Fill it with gas, push the button, and ride,ride,ride... Very nice bike

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
So I finally received my new rails, drivers, long track, and flex arm this week after being on back order for a while. A buddy helped me put everything together from the ST and it took us about 3 hours total wrench time with some good air tools to swap everything out. I was able to go out and test the difference on the SX-F this weekend.

Holy. Freaking. Hell. What an AMAZING upgrade. I've rode long tracks before and I know how well they work, but when you take the machine you know and do a week to week upgrade it just really shows how big of an improvement something can be. I was tearing up climbs that were simply not even in the cards on the ST this weekend. I will also echo the sentiment that the LT's, with the right bike, are actually easier on the motors. I don't have to rev the piss out of the bike as much anymore and the tractor-ability of the LT is insane. I am kicking myself for not doing the LT upgrade last year. Wow!

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
sx-f long track gearing

13/17, 16/17

my friend just pulled the trigger on a 2014 lt and a 2013 new never run sx-f. He's a big guy I was hoping to stick with stock kit gearing so he doesn't have to keep buying more and more stuff. looks like you geared up? will stock 13-17and 17-20 work or is the 13-17 and 16-17 where its at? Also after reading through here again is the boondocker pod a no go?, I have the parts to make him one on hand, but it sounds like u are liking the modded airbox. we are in Bozeman mt the powder around here is notoriously pesky! Any updates on the build? Thanks for all u have done documenting to help others out!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I'm a bigger guy with an LT and 13-17-17-20 is doing really well for me. 16-17 is a little bit of a gear up and probably best suited for people ready to ride at 200 lbs. I'm around 235 and it's been great so far. He will like it.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
my friend just pulled the trigger on a 2014 lt and a 2013 new never run sx-f. He's a big guy I was hoping to stick with stock kit gearing so he doesn't have to keep buying more and more stuff. looks like you geared up? will stock 13-17and 17-20 work or is the 13-17 and 16-17 where its at? Also after reading through here again is the boondocker pod a no go?, I have the parts to make him one on hand, but it sounds like u are liking the modded airbox. we are in Bozeman mt the powder around here is notoriously pesky! Any updates on the build? Thanks for all u have done documenting to help others out!

You are welcome. :) The stock gearing is a little low. You ideally want 2nd gear to be your money gear. Engine fully loaded, just below the rev limiter. With stock gearing, 2nd is bouncing off the rev limiter and 3rd can be a little tall. Gearing up 2 teeth splits the difference. Second is faster track speed than stock and will not fall back like 3rd being stock.

Remember, you can gear "any" gear to be your sweet spot. You could gear 4th as an example, to be the sweet spot. 1st and 2nd would be useless, and 5th would only be about 25mph on the road.

Setting your "sweet spot" up in second gives you a "working" 1st gear, and 5th is a nice road cruiser.

In stock form, 2nd is a little short of a full load and 3rd is a little tall to "hold" your RPM's. The 16/17 puts your 2nd gear right in the middle.

Have him put some miles on it first. Stock gearing is plenty acceptable, but if he finds 2nd over-revving and 3rd a little to much, then go with the 16/17 for him.

The ideal roll out is 13 1/2 to 13 3/4 inches.

Sorry about the sidelines, this is a specific build thread, but gets butt dialed sometimes....

Last edited:
J

jeffc

Mar 3, 2010
Have you had to re-position your index from II to III to compensate for clutch wear? Seems like mine can never find neutral while started and when I go to load the bike; when it gets put into gear; it grabs hard and quits multiple times. Wondering if mine is a unique situation to this specific build.

Belleville spring up-grade. Hey guys, I imagine everyone knows the 13.5 and Dungy models to current run the 280 spring. The 2013 model runs a 250 spring. The 280 simply applies more pressure to your clutch stack. Quicker lock-up's and more holding power. Here is a quick install. Remove your clutch cover, remove the 6 hub bolts, remove the hub and Belleville spring washer. When installing the 280, be sure and index it properly to the stiffest setting. To do this, find the marks, I, II, III or X, Y, Z on the center hub next to the bolt holes. Install one 6mil bolt in the hole marked III or Z then find any one of the six bolt holes and turn in in a few turns with your finger. Then take your remaining 5 bolts and install. Starting with your first in the III or Z hole will properly index you to the stiffer setting. Be sure to not over torque. Over torquing will cause clutch drag. Torque to 55 in/lbs or 4.8 ft/lbs.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I always start in the III position for more stack pressure. Haven't had any "pulling" or dragging issues, etc. Make sure your throw out is going all the way out. Could be dragging slightly? Not sure?

Premium Features