• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

kx or yz?

Nov 13, 2008
Ive never snow bilked before but have decided to jump right in the deep end and get one setup for next season. My local skidoo dealer (I currently have a xp summit) is also a yamaha and kawi dealer. They have a new in the box 08 kx 450 and also have a new in the box 10 yz 450. Planning on trading for one and saving up for a mh. Which bike should I go for?

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Do they have any slightly newer KX's? The Fuel injected one is the one you want.. 09 was the first year, then 10 got a bit better.. Then 11 was a slight bit better again. Then you got into the air fork model, which I'd say is less desirable than the 11.

The YZ will work, although the KX is a better bike in my opinion.

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
I love my YZ. The intake is a little difficult to get dialed in, but once you get it these things rip! I was able to put on a full yoshimura exhaust and use my gytr tuner to lean it out. I run my radiators 1/2 blocked and run a plastic skid plate with closed cell foam insulating the case beneath it. I don't run a thermostat and I am able to keep my temps up and gas out of the oil. I would also recommend radiator cages to protect them from tip overs. I run a 50w led light bar by tapping into my tuner port power source. Plus Yamaha makes these things to last. All the mx magazines say it's one of the most reliable bikes you can buy. There are quite a few threads that explain how to's on the 2010+ yz intakes.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
YZ all the way, bulletproof motor , stator puts out enough juice to run lights and heated grips etc.. Put a lean map in it, pipe and intake pod and run it... For MX track riding/racing in summer hard to beat yammis stock suspension out of box..

Nov 13, 2008
I was already kind of leaning towards the yami... always been a yami guy when it comes to bikes/quads. My next question is what is a reasonable price for the bike? As I said earlier it's a brand new in the box 2010. Obviously they haven't been able to sell it in the last 4 years and they still want 6 grand for it. I'm thinking that its closer to a $4500 bike. They want 6 grand for the kawi too.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I would say 4500-5000 would be good deal.. Not sure where your from but up here bikes and everything are few more $$ i picked up my 10 yz450 this fall for 5 gs and had 6hrs on it..

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I paid 6k brand new for my 2011 yz 450 in Dec 2012, so their 6k price is too high. The exh coming straight out the back of the YZ lets you totally shroud the eng sides to keep snow off, and no worries about burning a hole in your riding pants. 5 k would be a good deal on it. They are pretty much the same from 2010-2013

Nov 13, 2008
if I can strike up a deal on this yammi, what mods does it need. I know it needs some intake mods, but I wondering if it needs exhaust and tuner? I see that rad. braces are a good investment and some shrouding and a t-stat. anything else?

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
if I can strike up a deal on this yammi, what mods does it need. I know it needs some intake mods, but I wondering if it needs exhaust and tuner? I see that rad. braces are a good investment and some shrouding and a t-stat. anything else?

Theres a good thread on setting up a efi Yz on here.. Block off intake areas with prefilter or run a pod and run a thermostat two main things too do..

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada

The Yamaha doesnt need many mods engine wise. Im 230Lbs and it hauls me around great. Haven't put a dime into exhaust or anything to the motor. I do have the power tuner and the race map did wake it up noticeably. You dont want to go to far without spare fuel though, I burn a tank in two to three hours if the snows good.
Dont sweat the air box either, like those guys said there is plenty of good info on here I also used to set mine up.

Premium Features