• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is it worth upgrading to gripper skis

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
IMHO Grippers are the best mod you can do on a 2012-2015 proclimb. It will make more difference and so much more oredicatable in all conditions you will wonder how you ever ride the sled without it. You can find grippers cheap too. I wouldn’t pay over $150 for a pair. Just do a little looking and you can find a smoking deal.

Yeah....the grippers I was trying to buy (the ones I started this post about) got sold out from under me. The guy decided to sell them to a local guy rather than ship them to me. My search continues. All the ones I have been able to find so far have been roughly $250 and up for a used set with mounting hardware! Everything cheaper that I have found have been REALLY worn out.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Cannon motor sports you can get a new set for about 75.00 more than a used set. Shipped!. Not worth my time trying to fawk with others

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
^What he said

And if you're like me, you'll carry one set of grippers across multiple sled purchases. That and a handlebar bag are the only things I keep when I sell a sled.

Duff

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Wheaton, MN
What are people's preference on the grippers, wide or narrow stance?
Just got a set for my 17MC.

Last edited:
M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Ski Stance

With the Grippers your only 2 choices on ski stance are 35.5 or 37.5 due to the spacers; I'm going try mine @ 37.5 'till I get used to the 17 Mountain Cat, coming off a 10 M8 set @ the "narrow" 39 inch stance! And may put the Proclimb 7's on my ol' reliable M8???

Last edited:

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
Well.......I ended up getting more than I set out to. I bought a used set of Zbroz A-Arms and 16+ spindles along with a used set of SLP Mohawk skis. Both are in good shape and the skis came with orange loops and saddles to match my sled. The sled they came off of was also an orange and white '14. I would like to eventually get the Zbroz lower A-Arms with the arch for a little more clearance and so they match the uppers. Right now I have black uppers and white lowers. I have also considered painting the lowers black, but decided it would be better to leave them so I can either sell them all later as a matching set, or put it all back on the sled if I decide to sell it.

Now I am just excited to get out and ride it and see what a big difference everyone is talking about. I mounted the Mohawks as far forward as I could. That seems to be what I have read is the best thing for the proclimbs. I still need to buy a couple new control arms. I hear that it is inevitable that I will break some.

IMG_0015.jpg

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
Does anyone have any insight who has done this upgrade? Do I need to keep extra tie rods in my bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Does anyone have any insight who has done this upgrade? Do I need to keep extra tie rods in my bag?

Don't hit trees and u should be fine. If u have always carried extra tie rods, continue to do so, if u never needed them before then it shouldn't be any different now.....

Mountain Cat

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
Don't hit trees and u should be fine. If u have always carried extra tie rods, continue to do so, if u never needed them before then it shouldn't be any different now.....

Mountain Cat

Haha. Okay. Good to know. Yeah I always try to avoid hitting the trees. That’s why I don’t look at them! I always tell the guys I ride with, “don’t stare at the tree or that’s where you will go. Look where you WANT to go instead!”

I was just curious because I have read some other guys on here talking about keeping extras with them. I didn’t know if that was a weak point with the new front end or something.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^good riding advice there. i carry a spare after reading the forums, but havent needed it, 800+ miles in the mountains. not a bad thing to carry though. i also carry a small cresent wrench. tool kit wrenches dont fit everything.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The keel is key!
When u have a keel that is narrower front and rear of the middle,(right) that creates opportunity for the ski to dart back and forth.
Left is similar in width until the end and then a flair, that helps keep the ski straight, significantly reduce darting....

Other than the keel, these 2 skis are nearly identical. Width, length, spindle mounting location. the left ski is highly sought after and the right is not wanted.
67b0972b4ab22ddde05bf6e6f36fbc4d.jpg

Alpha ......

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
clown shoes

slide that left one down a hair so both ends are even you will notice cat tips still going wider where other skis are starting to call it. i can post a pic of mohawk comparison if needed

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The 19 skis very similar to the Gripper.
Please post some pics of the mohawk next to the cat ski.
Mohawk is 7.25in full length?
Cat and Gripper are 6.5in except at the tip they are 7.
446ed5df2dff2c192c84ea5bcc0d47c6.jpg
25a48728a5cf3719e97e01fc28b4e75f.jpg
bb06109942616d0daef6ec153dc42a79.jpg

Alpha ......

Premium Features