• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fogging Axys RMK 800 Engine for Summer

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
Can anyone explain how to fog the engine of the Axys for summer storage. I've been on ETECs for 7 years, which have auto-fogging for summer so its been awhile since i've done this. In the past, i believe i just sprayed the fogging oil into the air intake but it was an older sled and a long time ago.

I checked the manual, which says to refer to the fogging oil bottle for instructions. So I've got the polaris fogging oil and it says to spray directly into the carb but i'm very unsure on how to do this.

Also, is there anything else i should do for summerization? Its stored in a garage and i block the exhaust off so mice don't get in.

Any pictures would help alot as well. Thanks in advance.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Can anyone explain how to fog the engine of the Axys for summer storage. I've been on ETECs for 7 years, which have auto-fogging for summer so its been awhile since i've done this. In the past, i believe i just sprayed the fogging oil into the air intake but it was an older sled and a long time ago.

I checked the manual, which says to refer to the fogging oil bottle for instructions. So I've got the polaris fogging oil and it says to spray directly into the carb but i'm very unsure on how to do this.

Also, is there anything else i should do for summerization? Its stored in a garage and i block the exhaust off so mice don't get in.

Any pictures would help alot as well. Thanks in advance.

Getting to the throttle bodies is way more difficult than prior with the air boxes. On my pro, I drilled a hole in the side of the airbox (capped it with grommet) and would use 2 hoses to the throttle bodies. This worked good. For my Axys, I've just decided to start it every month. I store all my sleds (all motorized equipment) with 110 octane fuel. This fuel does not break down like 91 and lower. Lower octane will gum up jets and injectors (personal experience). I have done this all the way back to the carb years and have never had one problem. Engine builders love it when you use stabil, it brings them more work. I hear about engine failures and tend to believe it's because how they store their sleds with bad fuel and internals rust.

Last edited:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Getting to the throttle bodies is way more difficult than prior with the air boxes. On my pro, I drilled a hole in the side of the airbox (capped it with grommet) and would use 2 hoses to the throttle bodies. This worked good. For my Axys, I've just decided to start it every month. I store all my sleds (all motorized equipment) with 110 octane fuel. This fuel does not break down like 91 and lower. Lower octane will gum up jets and injectors (personal experience). I have done this all the way back to the carb years and have never had one problem. Engine builders love it when you use stabil, it brings them more work. I hear about engine failures and tend to believe it's because how they store their sleds with bad fuel and internals rust.

Do explain how stabil causes issues....

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Do tell about Stabil. A double dose of stabil in my chain saw's allowed it to start/run with 2 year old fuel.

A double dose of Stabil is what I use on my sleds, UTVs, lawmowers, chainsaws, weedwackers, motorcycles and have never had a problem once.

S
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Take out spark plugs, make sure piston is at BDC, I use a hose on the end of the fogging can, fish it through spark plug hole to the transfer port. (easier with one one of those snake cameras so you can see) give it a good spray. Do the same with the other piston. Put plugs back in and start the sled for maybe 10 seconds or so. If you want, repeat the procedure and just spin the engine over by hand a few times with primary clutch (no start). That will ensure you have lots of oil in your crank.

R
Feb 29, 2016
I hear about engine failures and tend to believe it's because how they store their sleds with bad fuel and internals rust.

On the Axys there is no fuel that goes through the bottom end. How would "bad fuel" cause rust? If anything you are telling us it would leave a varnish, or is that just in the carbs/injectors.

Fuel is in the tank. It has almost no bearing on the engine when not running.

R
Feb 29, 2016
If you want, repeat the procedure and just spin the engine over by hand a few times with primary clutch (no start). That will ensure you have lots of oil in your crank.

The Axys uses an electric oil pump. I do not think that turning the engine over by hand will pump any oil.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
On the Axys there is no fuel that goes through the bottom end. How would "bad fuel" cause rust? If anything you are telling us it would leave a varnish, or is that just in the carbs/injectors.

Fuel is in the tank. It has almost no bearing on the engine when not running.

No fuel goes through the bottom end of this motor? What?

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
My plan, beings these are my first fuel injected sleds: Start them about once a month and let them come up to temp and shut them off again. Start of next season I'll siphon the old gas out and insert new gas....run it.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Seafoam in the gas (94 oct) and start them every 3-4 weeks. Keeps the smell of 2 stroke in the air the whole year :face-icon-small-hap.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Put some SeaFoam in the tank. Rock the sled side to side and slosh the tank around to get it mixed in well. Start up the machine and let it get up to running temp and put it on the rack, set an alarm on your phone for a day to start it up once a month and call it good. Grease the front and rear of the sled and don't forget the jackshaft and you will be golden. I use to fog my machines until it became too much of a PITA to start them come the following season. I have been doing the seafoam technique for the last 6 years and no failures yet except for my 900 but that's because its a 900 haha.

IMAG1499.jpg

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Curious if anyone else is thinking about using the manual oil prime procedure to flood motor with injector oil-- similar to what etecs "fogging mode" ?

Done it with the hood off and a coat hanger on the pros, especially if the sled will be sitting for a month or two, but don't want to fog. Wouldn't do it to park for a full season with full synth like Gold, doesn't have the same corrosion protection from my experience (inhibitors and pools too easily).

I would not both manually prime and then fog the cylinders through the plug holes - no place for the oil to go - and they can hydrolock from tooooo much lube.

Didn't MH do a post a few years back on storage with full synth vs. dino vs. fogging? Something like that.

R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
Here is a list of things I do before I put my sleds away for the summer. I am not sure if this is the best way or not but I have done it this way for many years with no issues.

1. Add double dose of fuel stabilizer to gas.
2. Fill gas tank completely full of ethanol-free gas. (Full tank helps prevent condensation.)
3. Start the sled and let it run for 5 - 10 minutes.
4. Pull pipe and clean it, my sleds with a ceramic coated pipe I use Mothers wax to help prevent any rust.
5. Pull Spark plugs and dump a cap full of 2-stroke oil in each cylinder.
6. Turn off key and pull the sled over 10 - 15 times to make sure the oil coats everything.
7. Pull Exhaust valves and clean them.
8. Grease the suspension and everything that has a zerk.
9. Clean both primary and secondary clutches.
10. If sled has a chain case or diamond drive I change the oil. (I don't want any moisture that my have gotten in to sit there all summer)
11. Use a track stand or 2x4 to lift the track off the ground
12. Cover it up and wait for snow.

When snow flies I drain the old gas and put fresh in.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Here is a list of things I do before I put my sleds away for the summer. I am not sure if this is the best way or not but I have done it this way for many years with no issues.

4. Pull pipe and clean it, my sleds with a ceramic coated pipe I use Mothers wax to help prevent any rust.

A little off topic but What do you use to clean your ceramic coated pipes?

Premium Features