• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Communication Failure?

S
Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
I have an 08 XP and last weekend my screen started scrolling Communication failure? The result is my odometer and trip miles whent crazy, no RPM’s displayed and my heat grips are on high and will not shut off. Anyone run into this?

P

pyxle

Jan 27, 2008
Maple Valley, WA
Pop the gauge cluster out and double check the large plug on the back of it, they use a CAN HI/LO (WH/RD - WH/BK?) to communicate with the ECM. If that signal is lost, the gauge displays COMMUNICATION FAILURE. Also check the ECM connection for proper fitment.

Also check for any green pins/terminals.

Could also be a faulty gauge/ECM.

Hope this helps...

T
Dec 12, 2007
I had the same thing happen to me the other day, but I shut the sled down and restarted and everything was fine. I would also like to know what the cause maybe.

G
Apr 23, 2008
On 08 models that DID NOT get the hand warmer update done this will happen as the warmers short to the bars.

Ive also seen out of range tps settings do it.

Gus

Sheriff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Olds, Alberta
Mine started this last trip out also, so I reached in behind the cluster & wiggled, pushed & pulled on the wires & the communication error went away . Today I removed the guage assembly & started the sled, started moving the wires & it went into communication error again, moved the plug some more & it went away. Dealer tells me that the asembly must be hooped. They are bringing in a new one which we will match up by flashing it & see if the problem continues. In the mean time I am off to the BIS...hopefully it continues to work...

S
Jan 16, 2017
2008 Summit Communication Failure

Hi there, I realize this thread is from a while back, but a few weeks ago when I was on a trip in the mountains my cluster displayed "communication failure" and continued to do so for the rest of the trip ( 4 days). i tried dielectric grease, wiggling plugs and checked the pins on the cluster and they all seem fine. ECM seems to be connected properly. only my analog speedometer worked. I had no RPM's or fuel gauge or anything like that, my heated grips also did not work. Highbeams work along with reverse. Just wondering if you guys have any other ideas. Or if you know if I could try plugging in my buddies cluster from his 2014 xm to see if it is my cluster or something else. Thanks!!

Premium Features