• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinion on Auto Industry Bailout...Letter to the Editor

B

B C

Nov 26, 2007
Montucky
Just thought I'd pass this on, don't bash me; it's not my opinion. But there are some good facts that a lot of people missed in other threads....

LETTER TO THE EDITOR (or anyone else who will listen)
Auto Industry - A bridge to survival

$40,000,000,000 to AIG, $20 billion to Citibank and billions more to other Wall street giants. They loaned money to, or insured debt of, people or companies that had no realistic chance to pay it back. Now that's bad business and extreme mismanagement. Add insult to injury the government forks over billions and these executives go off on a multimillion dollar retreat in the California sunshine.
Those same congressmen and senators and even the public are ok with that (evidence: we keep giving them more) yet they blast the American auto industry for poor management and are apparently willing to flush GM, Ford, and Chrysler with their morning constitutional.
I only wish they would deal with the issue from a basis of fact, not outdate perceptions, emotions, hyperbole, rhetoric and media and congressional politi-speak.
They ask, "Why can't you build vehicles people want and why can't you build a quality vehicle?" Well, if you haven't driven a GM product built in this century then you don't have a clue as to the quality, from drivability to fuel efficiency (the Pontiac G5 gets up to 44 miles per gallon and costs less than $15,000) to interior, to fit and finish to price.
Before some greedy speculators sent the price of oil to the moon and gas prices to over $4.00 a gallon GM was building what you wanted. To charge that they didn't adjust fast enough--NOT FAIR. Go drive the back lot of the Toyota store on Arapahoe road that is sitting with over 500 new full size Tundra pick-ups. No manufacturer was able to adapt to the unwarranted, practically overnight gouging of $4.00 plus gas prices. Before that GM, Chrysler, and Ford products represented over 50% of the vehicles purchased in the United States and a much larger percentage of the worldwide market. Not bad for vehicles nobody wants.
We lambaste the American auto industry for mismanagement while we praise anything made by foreign companies. How about toys, and dog food, and mouth wash from China...Thanks, I'll go American.
After 9-11 Chrysler, Ford and GM each contributed $10 million and by the way their employees did as well, $60 million dollars to support the victims of that heinous attack. What did Honda, Toyota, Nissan and virtually all the other import car companies, who reap billions from the U.S. economy, contribute? Not one red cent. Hey imports thanks for nothing.
Let's talk facts versus fiction for just a moment. Not approving the bridge loan the auto makers are asking for would be devastating.
Nearly 3 million jobs would be lost in just the first year alone, another 2.5 million jobs gone over the next 2 years.
Personal income in the United States would drop more than150.7 billion in the first year, another $100 billion over the next two.
The cost to local, state and federal governments would be over $155 billion in three years in lost taxes, unemployment and health care assistance.
Domestic automobile production would grind to a nearly complete halt, even by international producers, due to supplier bankruptcies.
The credit crisis that is affecting all of us is wounding the U.S. auto industry in many ways. Car makers can't get loans to restructure and produce new technology vehicles. Suppliers and dealers can't get loans for routine business and customers can't get loans to buy new cars. Banks have been given billions yet they refuse to loan the money, instead opting to either buy other banks or so just simply hoard the cash.
When the initial $700 billion bailout was announced the public was outraged and said "don't pass it." So Congress didn't pass it....a week later and a market that lost billions including many Americans 401k's and retirement funds, had those same john Q publics screaming for law makers to pass it and pass it now. It got a 2nd chance and was passed. If Congress rejects the bridge loan to the auto makers there may not be a 2nd chance, just a tsunami of economic disaster.
I urge everyone to support the loans as well as a one-time 1% tax credit for the purchase of a new vehicle and a tax write-off for interest and sales tax.
Finally, just a few more facts.
9.3 million people worldwide bought GM vehicles last year. That's more vehicles than any other automaker in the world sold. And in the U.S., which is the world's largest market, GM sold more vehicles than any other manufacturer in 2007, and it has sold more than any other manufacturer to date in 2008.
In 2008 Chevy Malibu was named North American car of the year and Cadillac CTS was Motor Trend’s 2008 car of the year. In 2007, the Saturn Aura and Chevy Silverado won North American car and truck of the year. Those awards are given and judged by automotive journalists.
Customers responded just as enthusiastically as the critics. Although total U.S. vehicle sales are down almost 15% so far this year, a number of GM vehicles enjoyed significant sales increases:
Malibu +39%
Pontiac Vibe +36%
Pontiac G6 +4%
Cadillac CTS +15%
Aura +7%
GMC Acadia +2%
Buick Enclave +88%.
From plants to parks, from dealerships to driveways, from gas stations to grocery stores, what happens in the automotive industry affects each and every one of us. In fact, the collapse of the industry wouldn't just impact the nearly 355,000 Americans directly employed by the Big Three. One out of every 10 people in America is employed in a service that is related to the U.S. auto industry. If a plant closes, so does it suppliers, the local stores, the hot dog vendor and the local restaurants.
GM has cut its payroll drastically, by 45.8% in the U.S. alone since 2000. In fact GM is far from the largest employer in the industry. With 252,000 employees worldwide, GM ranks fifth overall behind, VW, Toyota, Renault/Nissan and Daimler. Yet GM sold more vehicles worldwide last year than any other automaker.
Don't penalize a company that pays its union employees twice what non union shops pay...a company that provides health care and pensions to its employees and retirees. Don't reward manufacturers that build their products here but take the profits back to their home countries, while paying their employees far less and providing much less for them in the way of healthcare and retirement. Don't say you support the workers and the middle class and then buy an import, because you saved a couple of hundred dollars.
GM, Chrysler and Ford have supported America for nearly 100 years. They truly are the backbone of U.S. manufacturing.
I'm proud to be and American and I'm proud to be a GM dealer. I have great faith that we will survive this extremely difficult time and be stronger for it.

Mike Malin

Vice President and Owner
Grand Pontiac Buick GMC

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Pontiac Vibe +36%
LOL....who builds that one again?

That aside, he has a point, the domestic auto industry is a lot further reaching than most give it credit for. A company like that struggling is not a good thing for anyone. That said, a lot of it IS from mismanagement, and a lot of those sales he speaks of were done at a highly incentivised loss, or to fleet companies, both scenarios that end in further de-valuation of the products. To be general, lack of long-term planning is why they are where they are today....the product itself should be good enough these days, but wasn't for many years. So in the end, it's a highly emotional letter with unsubstantial beef underneath....

Last edited:
G
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
A few things to think about...

First and foremost, the reason this guy is begging, pleading, lobbying, etc. anyone who will listen to get the feds to donate $25B to the auto industry is because his entire livelyhood is based on GM staying in business. I'm sure that the financial sectors had some poor management but I think that the majority of the financial FUBAR we are in is due to the Democratic decision to extend home loans to minorities and other people who had no means of repaying the money. Second, alot of this guys letter is well written but what about the claims that he makes? To claim that Ford, GM, and Chrysler all gave $10M and none of the foreign auto makers gave anything after 9-11 is completely absurd. Here are some numbers I was able to find (rather quickly I might add):

BMW - $1M in cash, 10 new X5's, and 100 new motorcycles (from BMW press release)
Honda - $1.5M (from (from Honda press release)
Nissan - $1M (Nissan press release)
Subaru - $1M in equipment (Subie press release)
Toyota - $1M to match employee contributions (from Toyota press release)
VW - $2M (VW press release)

The US automakers donations were on par with these guys (GM - $1M & 50 vehicles, Ford - $1M to match employee donations) with the exception of Diamler Chrysler who gave $10M. What a way to play on peoples emotions which are still closely tied to the 9-11 events. Reminds me of a tactic that our president elect would use just to bolster votes.

I have yet to see any analyst determine accurately how many jobs are tied to the auto industry. I've heard as many as 1 in 7 and as few as 1 in 12. Who knows what the real number is but I'm sure that it's affects could be far reaching. Here's what is going to affect the outcome of this crisis more than anything else: How the executives at the little 3 and the liberal puke bag media handle this and the decisions they make in the next few weeks. Nobody wants to see the little 3 go under completely. The press and the executives keep minimizing the opportunity that they have right now with a chapter 11 bankruptcy. If GM is such a great company then why do they keep posting such huge losses if they are the #1 selling brand worldwide?

The auto industry needs to jump on the chance to renegotiate their labor contracts, debt, pension plans, etc. while they still have it. The US economy has proven that as consumers we still give money to businesses filing chapter 11. Look at the airline business after 9-11. The whole auto fiasco is fueled by the same thing that ignited the financial crisis that we are wallering in: Greed. Plain and simple.

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
x2 GAZ.
The big three should be using this oppurtunity to pound some common sense back into the unions. Renegotiate the benefits and wages now under the premise that keeping the job you have with fewer benefits is better than being out of work and looking for a job with 10,000 of your neighbors.

Don't get me wrong the unions have done good things for American labor but instead of working from a win/win perspective they have swung too far to one side. Shake ups like this are the great equalizers.

But I also think every executive in the auto industry needs to be b!tch slapped into blackout and have thier personal wealth distributed to the employees.:mad:

I wonder if my Dodge lifetime warranty means my lifetime or Chryslers.:face-icon-small-dis

S
Dec 14, 2007
...I think that the majority of the financial FUBAR we are in is due to the Democratic decision to extend home loans to minorities and other people who had no means of repaying the money. ...The whole auto fiasco is fueled by the same thing that ignited the financial crisis that we are wallering in: Greed. Plain and simple.

Right on! Nobody is offering to bail out my industry that was hugely affected by the sub prime lending. Nobody is volunteering to restock my retirement portfolio that went backwards 10 years or more due to the stock markets reaction to this mess. We live in America, a free enterprise society that promotes entrepreneurialism which allows a poorly run business (i.e. GM, Countrywide, Citi Bank) to fail and many other smaller businesses to succeed by picking up the demand and doing it smarter and more efficiently. A few of those may become bigger and better. The cycle should continue… look at the short lived industry we all enjoy, snowmobiling. First there was 1, than many, then 3, now 4, with several specialty mfrs looking to get bigger piece of the pie.

B

B C

Nov 26, 2007
Montucky
Here are some numbers I was able to find (rather quickly I might add):

BMW - $1M in cash, 10 new X5's, and 100 new motorcycles (from BMW press release)
Honda - $1.5M (from (from Honda press release)
Nissan - $1M (Nissan press release)
Subaru - $1M in equipment (Subie press release)
Toyota - $1M to match employee contributions (from Toyota press release)
VW - $2M (VW press release)

There's lot's of that info out there, here's a different set from CNN:

'CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's
contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and
Washington.

The findings are as follows.....

1. Ford- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee
contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The
company also offered ER response ! team se rvices and office space to
displaced government employees.

2. GM- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions
of the sam e number and a fleet of vans, suv's, and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims
of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the
New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen-Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation,
funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and
victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi-Nothing.

8. BMW-Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat-Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in
August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi-Nothing.

14. Nissan-Nothing.

15. Porsche-Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche
website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota-Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001.
Condolences posted on the website

Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep
this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration to a
car manufactured by an American-owned and / or American based company.
Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed
nothing at all to the citizens of the United States ...

It's OK for these companies to take money out of this country, but it is
apparently not acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I believe
we should not forget things like this. Say thank you in a way that gets
their attention..

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It's OK for these companies to take money out of this country, but it is
apparently not acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I believe
we should not forget things like this. Say thank you in a way that gets
their attention..

As for taking money out of the country...a company, say Toyota for example, has HUGE operations in North America. Head offices, zone offices, Toyota financial services, production plants, engine plants, design offices, R&D centers, racing programs, dealerships, etc, etc. These entities employ people on the same level as those down the street at the Chevy or Dodge plant, and pay taxes to the same government(s). Are these employees any "less American" for working for a company who's hiring instead of firing? Domestic automakers are no "America only!" saints, they farm out jobs to any country that will do it cheaper these days. The difference is, companies such as Toyota or Honda have figured out how to do it, turn a profit, and do it without needed Government handouts in tough times.

Simple accounting problem.....who pays more taxes; a) A company making good profits or b) A company constantly losing money? So what's a worse evil these days....sending some $$ back to the motherland to keep the high-ups happy, or feeding companies money who will in turn blow it and then come looking for your tax money, while contributing relatively little to the tax base in the meantime? The 911 thing is a clever little tactic to pull on the heartstrings and nothing more. It has no place in a discussion about economics; the mere fact that it came up tells you how desperate these guys are.

That said has your local domestic dealer, or his employees, or the guy who works in the GM plant done anything wrong? Hell no! These are huge economic forces that have been mismanaged and put a lot of people/companies in a bad spot.....

O
Jan 14, 2008
MN
Right on! Nobody is offering to bail out my industry that was hugely affected by the sub prime lending. Nobody is volunteering to restock my retirement portfolio that went backwards 10 years or more due to the stock markets reaction to this mess. We live in America, a free enterprise society that promotes entrepreneurialism which allows a poorly run business (i.e. GM, Countrywide, Citi Bank) to fail and many other smaller businesses to succeed by picking up the demand and doing it smarter and more efficiently. A few of those may become bigger and better. The cycle should continue… look at the short lived industry we all enjoy, snowmobiling. First there was 1, than many, then 3, now 4, with several specialty mfrs looking to get bigger piece of the pie.

:beer;

Premium Features