• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ULTIMATE PRO-PEX!

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
k Guys. ive built a few sled on here with you guys. Im hoping this will be the ultimate build for my riding style for years to come

INGREDIENTS:

Polaris cast bulk head
Timbersled pro front end kit
Yamaha Apex motor
KPA 2873 turbo with external tial gate
Chromoly tube chassis from the bulkhead back
carbon tunnel inlay
carbon fuel tank
carbon pannels
T sled rear skid
CMX belt drive

Goals:

Dry weight of stock RMK 163
Very strong chassis
Replacable parts on chassis (bumper, nose cone and upper structure)

Let me know what you guys think

Last edited:
J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
A lot ? Come on :face-icon-small-win
My last tube sled was 340 dry with a 162 x16 wide. Im hoping for the best.
Im shooting for 430 or under

I
Nov 26, 2007
I suppose a lot is relative. I'd say if you hit 450 you did great. Everything about turbo 4 strokes are heavy, motor, turbo, header, electronics, etc. I built a propex with a 174 and it was 560lbs dry. Weight wasn't my primary goal but it wasn't ignored either. I dont think I could've taken 130lbs off it, but I'm sure it's possible if weight is your only concern.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
No offense to anyone what's so ever but the first thing that comes to mind if your shooting for a lightweight sled is why not do a C3 or TKI belt drive and lose weight instead of adding it? Maybe for an efficiency stand point but weight?? Again not poking just one of several other questions that came to mind for me.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Mainly because I already have the cmx belt drive from a previous build. Really wanted to go with your ti a arms also Dan. I know you do such great work, but since im starting from scratch, the t sled worked better for me because it came with spindals, and all the hardware I needed. Its also the older cmx drive and its nice to build with because its so flexable to build around. Has ajustable width for my 16 wide chassis and tube shenanigans

Just to give you guys a timeline, gonna try to get this together for a shake down ride in july In cooke. Not coated or panneled. Then do the tear down and focus on making it look good before fall.

Last edited:
J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I suppose a lot is relative. I'd say if you hit 450 you did great. Everything about turbo 4 strokes are heavy, motor, turbo, header, electronics, etc. I built a propex with a 174 and it was 560lbs dry. Weight wasn't my primary goal but it wasn't ignored either. I dont think I could've taken 130lbs off it, but I'm sure it's possible if weight is your only concern.

How do you like your pro pex? Still have it or riding it? Any videos on youtube. Look like pretty cool machines. Ive always wanted to build one

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Wanna do another while your at it?:face-icon-small-win

Would it save much weight if you went to a nytro motor? Sorry I am yamatarded. I always wanted to do something out of the polaris 4 stroke, but nobody got much out of them.

B

burnz

Jan 7, 2013
Nanton, Alberta
a nytro motor would be more effective for your goal would it not? lighter and just as reliable and from what i can tell (which probably isn't a lot tbh lol) you can get basically the same power when boosted unless your going for stupid horse power numbers then obviously the extra displacement and cylinder helps, but doesn't the apex motor have a gear reduction shaft or something of the sort since the 4 cylinder runs at like 11000 rpm which adds even more weight then the extra cylinder? just curious as like the other guy im a little yammatarded

I
Nov 26, 2007
Apex engine weighs 8lbs more, there's added weight for the extra intake runner and header tube, but its minimal. The nytro has better low end but the apex is faster wide open. The apex runs smoother and sounds better.

I sold my propex, it was a fun sled but overkill for my riding. I also missed being able to get unstuck by myself on a pro.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Yep nytro would be lighter. Ive just always wanted to build a sled with an apex motor. The sound and I think it will be a little more reliable as I have to build a house for my next project. So this has to last me a few years.
Also I build a nytro for a guy last year so id like to see how this motor compared

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
keep building, the welding fairy needs stuff to do!!!

very excited to help put this thing together! should be an epic combo of weight, power, strength, and unrivaled reliability.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Ultamate pro-pex

I'm looking forward to watchng your build.
You've built some cool light sleds in the passed.
Are you planning on using Polaris body work?

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Yes. Polaris pro plastics. Its coming along well. The tunnel is starting to look like something now and the cast bulkhead arrives tomorrow. Super excited to ride this thing

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Axyz body work

It looks like there's more leg and foot room and the handle bars are further forward on the new Polaris axys chassis.
Would it be possible to go this route with your build?
Is the axys bulk head a lot different than than the pro bulk head?

I'm very interested in seeing how this build turns out for you.
Good luck with your build

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
2 reasons

Powerhouse has recently switched from using the Pro plastics to the nytro plastics on their tube frame propex's as they say it fits much better. Just an FYI.

We actually changed to the Nytro hood and console for 2 reasons, first was ergonomics. With the Polaris Pro panels, the riders knees are constantly banging against the console when in a sitting position, which is uncomfortable but also restricts the riders forward stance.

The Yamaha Nytro hood and console are streamlined in this area such that your knees have freedom of movement when sitting, when standing the rider is in a better position for superior control over varying terrain. Our other reason was that some of our customers did not want to stray away from a Yamaha image, ...Yamaha has a very faithful, loyal and proud customer base, as well they should.

The Polaris Pro body panels are quite large and have ample room for any engine combination. We will continue to offer both body plastics for our customers.

Cheers

CR

Premium Features