• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My new build.. 2012 RMK

P
Jun 29, 2008
Freeborn, MN
Project looks great so far! I like the way the red hood looks with the black side panels. Once you get the mechanical stuff all wrapped up, wrap that tunnel in black and really make that thing pop! After seeing how far you tore that thing down I really don't feel so bad about having to replace the top end, shocks, new boards and bumpers on my '11. Keep us posted!

Chad

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
The tear down really isnt that hard at all.. Finding where things go back is a little more difficult though since it wasnt me who had removed the wiring and some other parts, but its all coming together pretty well..

I got a little extra time this last weekend to fab up a couple of homemade vents to cover the stupid looking stock ones that come on the sled.. I just took the vents out and used some adhesive to attach to different kinds of material to the existing vent. I have done all hood vents on my IQR, a Polaris Edge hood and will still have enough to do all of this sled and probably a couple others. The first layer of the material I layed down is made to block the sun. It seems like it will work as well as pre filter since I ran it under water and it didnt let water through but is plenty breathable so I figured it should keep any snow out also. The second layer is pet screen. Seems that this is what is used for all aftermarket vents out there anyway.. Pretty strong stuff.. I have pictured both.. I think they came out pretty good. They are just kinda sitting in there so it will tighten the screen up when fully mounted back in there.. I put some over the headlight also, but just set it in there so if I can actually mount it and make it look good I will do that and post pics also.. It looks alright I think..

The Top is the Sun Block screen. The bottom is the pet screen
20120603_172252.jpg

20120603_170146.jpg

20120603_172733.jpg

This is a close up to show how it looks with both layers of the material..
20120603_165942.jpg

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Great project!

Thank you.. I am very happy with it so far.. I fixed the headlight cover today.. I like the way it turned out.. I like it because the headlight is still functional. Gives it just a little different look.. hope to get some more done soon..

20120610_142643.jpg

20120610_142655.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Progress has been super slow since my son was born, but was able to get a few other things done. Got a stock bumper installed as well as a low windshield. Have a few more things on the agenda, but figured i would update the progress on it as of now.. Hopefully more to come soon.. :beer:

Also, here are some closer pics of the headlight mod.. I have done this mod for a few others and they love em.

uploadfromtaptalk1343958520156.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1343958533202.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1343958572583.jpg

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Progress has been super slow since my soon was born, but was able to get a few other things done. Got a stock bumper installed as well as a low windshield. Have a few more things on the agenda, but figured i would update the progress on it as of now.. Hopefully more to come soon.. :beer:

Also, here are some closer pics of the headlight mod.. If anyone is interested in me doing one for you, let me know and we can work something out. I have done some for a few others and they love em.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Hey you are a Dad !

For the son I suggest ... a book ... The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year, Armin A. Brott

For the sled I suggest SNOW :rockon:

Last edited:
R
Nov 26, 2007
Duluth, MN
Lots of good to know info on here! I just picked up an 11 last weekend that has bisically the same exact damage as yours... I need to get braces like you got cuz those factory ones are rediculously cheesy! What did you use to dolly the tunnel wrinkle out? I've used 2x4s and a deadblow in the past... Also were you able to find the bulkhead assy or did you have to buy the halves and braces seperately? Thanks in advance!

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Lots of good to know info on here! I just picked up an 11 last weekend that has bisically the same exact damage as yours... I need to get braces like you got cuz those factory ones are rediculously cheesy! What did you use to dolly the tunnel wrinkle out? I've used 2x4s and a deadblow in the past... Also were you able to find the bulkhead assy or did you have to buy the halves and braces seperately? Thanks in advance!

PM'd you

M
Jan 22, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
My tunnel is bent the same way. I have to begin tearing it apart soon and I need a few questions answered. How far do you have to pull it apart to get that bracing and parts in there? Also which kit did you buy from aksnowrider? Thanks in advance.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
My tunnel is bent the same way. I have to begin tearing it apart soon and I need a few questions answered. How far do you have to pull it apart to get that bracing and parts in there? Also which kit did you buy from aksnowrider? Thanks in advance.

I tore everything off because I needed to replace it anyway. I just had the tunnel there.. You will for sure need to remove the track, driveshaft, skid, the chain case, and the steering hoop/over structure. This will give you enough room to get to everything and nothing will be left on there to keep it from not straightening out.. I also removed the stock bracing off of the sides when straightening out the tunnel and the stock bracing and then I put it back together and then used AK's bracing to button the rest of it up.. Its solid!!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I cant answer for YZ...but as far as how far you need to tear one down..if you pull the skid, drag the track out under the frt of the sled between the ski's, remove the bolts 1 side at a time holding the steering hoop(I use a prybar to move the hoop off the tunnel and place a 1/2"-3/4' spacer between it and the top of the tunnel to hold it while I work),and then remove the bolt holding the plastic tub at the foot stirup, and finally remove the aluminum blockoff plate in the stirup, it will allow you access to install on the clutch side..same basic deal on the clutch side but you do need to remove the secondary and get it out of your way...driveshaft,chaincase seat, tank , console can all stay in place...I would install rivits from inside the tunnel outward to attach new braces(keeps track from rubbing on them) at least on the ones toward the frt of the tunnel, the ones that are out on the open area of the tunnel I install from the outside inward(paying attention to where the track is....)you need to test fit everything, drill all holes, then clean and glue as you do final assembly...as for the brace kits..you need the chaincase/frt tunnel kit and the clutch/frt. tunnel kit..ea kit is 100.00 but right now if you get both at the same time I drop the price 20 bucks (shipping is extra),I recommend sloid aircraft rivits..but good pop rivits do work)I dont include them but they are cheap...mike

M
Jan 22, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
Great Project YZ. And AKSNOWRIDER PM me your info and I will be in contact with you for sure. It looks like a solid setup.
Thanks

I cant answer for YZ...but as far as how far you need to tear one down..if you pull the skid, drag the track out under the frt of the sled between the ski's, remove the bolts 1 side at a time holding the steering hoop(I use a prybar to move the hoop off the tunnel and place a 1/2"-3/4' spacer between it and the top of the tunnel to hold it while I work),and then remove the bolt holding the plastic tub at the foot stirup, and finally remove the aluminum blockoff plate in the stirup, it will allow you access to install on the clutch side..same basic deal on the clutch side but you do need to remove the secondary and get it out of your way...driveshaft,chaincase seat, tank , console can all stay in place...I would install rivits from inside the tunnel outward to attach new braces(keeps track from rubbing on them) at least on the ones toward the frt of the tunnel, the ones that are out on the open area of the tunnel I install from the outside inward(paying attention to where the track is....)you need to test fit everything, drill all holes, then clean and glue as you do final assembly...as for the brace kits..you need the chaincase/frt tunnel kit and the clutch/frt. tunnel kit..ea kit is 100.00 but right now if you get both at the same time I drop the price 20 bucks (shipping is extra),I recommend sloid aircraft rivits..but good pop rivits do work)I dont include them but they are cheap...mike

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Progress on this has been non existent for the last month or so. Lots of things have come up in my life that has prevented pretty much anything sled related and the lack of funds have made it next to impossible. Right now I am in the process of making some hood vents so I will be posting pics of those once completed. I am also in the market for a stock 600 or 800 Pro/Rush pipe. I will be experimenting with the pipes once the 700 motor is installed. Anyone have one they want to part with and help me out with this project? If so, please PM me and lets work something out. :bounce:

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Just a little update on whats going on with this build.. The 700 motor project for this sled is not going to work out.. Its a long story, but will just say that not all fellow sledders are honest and truthful and this time it REALLY screwed me :face-icon-small-sad. I have now decided to just start with a 600 bottom end and work around that. Will also make this all much easier.. In my down time I built a few more things.. Built a block off plate out of ABS plastic for the inside of the belly pan to keep the snow out (will probably re-make this one) and also built some footwell plates.. I used only a dremel to make these so they arent perfect, but I think they came out pretty good.. I have posted a few pics.. They are just sitting in there.. not all installed yet, but wanted to check the fit.. Seem to be OK.. Hope to have a better status update here soon..:bounce:

20121210_200941.jpg

20121211_163755.jpg

IMG_20121215_132907.jpg

IMG_20121215_132936.jpg

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Those footwall kick plates don't look to bad. What happened with the 700 project?

700 motor project had to get scrapped because person I was buying everything from, decided to sell the majority of what I needed out from under me and still charge me for it. They sold everything that would have been necessary for me to run 700 in the Pro chassis (all electronics, wiring, injectors). Now I have found a Rush 600 bottom end so am in the process of getting that lined up and then will be building it piece by piece until its a complete motor..

Premium Features