• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best way to carry a camera when riding

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
What are people using to carry a camera when riding, I have a Canon 30D and want to have quick access to it preferably on my chest.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I wouldn't carry a DSLR around my neck.
Put it in a padded bag inside the backpack.

Not really a way around it.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
It kinda depends on the kind of riding you do. I keep mine in my pack on my back. With all the bouncing around the sled does it is not good on the cameras. Unless you have it insured and dont care if it gets broken. I usually wrap mine in a flannel shirt or something with some padding.

I wouldnt put it on your chest. If you hit something hard and end up hiting your chest on the handlebars thats not goign to be good on you or the camera.

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
Don't carry it in your pants pocket, last year i got bucked off and my leg landed on the running board right where my camera was and my camera broke in half, so ya i would carry it in your chest pocket or buy a handle bar bag.

D
Nov 27, 2007
Hey Scott- A backpack is the best way, but you might find a handlebar bag or something similar will work better for you.

I would also recommend the Sled Solutions stuff, just be sure to add a lot of padding if you are carrying a DSLR.

If you leave the camera inside your coat around your neck it will have to deal with the moisture from your body. I keep a little point and shoot in my jacket and some days it's frozen half way through the day.

I have a Rebel XTi and I would love to take it every ride, but it's a pain to carry in my backpack (same with the video camera). I might have to look at the bag by Sled Solutions.

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
I often pack my 30D in my handlebar bag... If it's not close and easy to use, it doesn't get pulled out.

Handlebar bag is hard on them and DSLR's are not as tough as the old 35mm SLR's. Just a fact to work around.

I've kinda come to the conclusion that the body's are expendable. I save way more a year in film costs than the body's cost anyhow. I don't carry 'L' lenses or other extremely high end ones.

I picked up another Sony for sledding.. Capable of motor drive shots; lens goes out to 500 something. Small, easy to use. I LOVE my DSLR's, but there are issues for play pictures.

542088034_bg.jpg

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Padded camera bag in the top of the pack.

No vibration from the sled like you'd have in a tunnel/handlebar bag.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Hey Scott- A backpack is the best way, but you might find a handlebar bag or something similar will work better for you.

I would also recommend the Sled Solutions stuff, just be sure to add a lot of padding if you are carrying a DSLR.

How would you know...:D LOL

There is no way I'd put something on my handlebars that's not shock proof. The logging roads are usually 10 miles of bomb holes in the spring...there is no way.

C

CascadeXP

Nov 29, 2007
Maple Valley, Washington
Handlebar bag. It's right in front of you, easy access. Tried my pack, too long to take off and then dig in to get the camera.

BRING EXTRA BATTERIES. My handlebar bag has the doo 3 Watt heater and that helps but I still end up having to change batteries often due to the cold.

I
Nov 26, 2007
I carry my DSLR in a tamrac soft sided backpack. Still room for spare gloves, etc and an adjustable padded spot for the camera and lenses. I'd be willing to bet I can get my camera out just as fast as one being carried in a handle bar bag...you have to be fast with my group :D

_MG_1666.jpg

Mountain Maniac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2008
Sturgis, SD
Ya I can say don't carry your camera in a chest pocket! I ruined my pretty much brand new camera last year.....bad light and a very hard hit to the handle bars pretty much did it in, even in a padded case.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I put my pic camera in the dash bag and I put the video camera in a very soft carry case and put that in my snobunjee handlebar bag... haven't had any problems, and easy access...

Small Pelican Box

I found this small Pelican box that my Panasonic Lumix point and shoot fits perfectly in with its own case. It's right in front of you and easy to get. It's fastened to the steering post with a couple of thick zip ties. On real cold days, I will drop a hand warmer in the bottom of the case and it will keep the battery warmer so it will last longer. I have a Canon 20D that I have carried in a seperate case and put into my backpack. You just can't ride like a rock star. Last thing you want to do is to get bucked off the sled and wind up on your back! The other way to carry your high $ SLR is to get a bigger pelican box with a custom tear away foam cells that will fit your camera. Have a spot on the back tunnel to secure the case down with NRS straps so it wont budge. It's a little bit of a hassel to get the camera out every time but you can't have everything. Your SLR is the only thing I would recommend to take those cornice jumps, kickers, and powderflying donuts with crystal clear clarity. A nice lens usually helps too.

P1010661.jpg

Premium Features