• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Ascender Engine Fail

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
As far as number of engines out there...

2017 Polaris had 33% MS and Cat has 16%. I would bet that has tightened some since 2017, but have not found any verifiable data on that. So you have roughly 2x the Polaris sleds in total. The 850 is a limited build (both 800 and 840 were built for 2019), so a general assumption would be there are similar (not suggesting exact) numbers of 2019 Cat 800 engines as there are 840 Polaris engines out there in 2019. If you consider the Cat 800 came out in 2018, there are likely “roughly” 2x as many 800 ctec engines on the market as there are 840 Polaris today.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know how these numbers turned out also!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Must be hard having such a small dick.

Fits in your mouth just fine.

Idiots, I own arctic cats. And new stuff often gets reworked. This will too, just watch.

The alpha rails aren't cnc cut rails that bend. I've seen plenty of BENT rails but far fewer broken ones. The alpha design is different. How many BENT ones have you seen? The friggin shock mounts are breaking. That happen a lot on your dual rails?

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
U guy's are in the wrong thread. This is the engine thread..
I've heard of a few Ctec2 800's go down these last 2 yrs.

I have broken shock mounts on the old school twin rail sleds. Cat, Doo and Poo...

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Fits in your mouth just fine.

Idiots, I own arctic cats. And new stuff often gets reworked. This will too, just watch.

The alpha rails aren't cnc cut rails that bend. I've seen plenty of BENT rails but far fewer broken ones. The alpha design is different. How many BENT ones have you seen? The friggin shock mounts are breaking. That happen a lot on your dual rails?

If the “repair” for both situations is replace the rail(s), who gives a flying duck. In both of the broken mono rail situations I’ve heard of, both were rideable to get out. In the one bent mono rail situation I’ve heard of, it was rideable to get out. How many twin tails are you bending back straight and hopping back into the mountains?

Polaris a-arms break, Cat a-arms bend. Different design ideas and both are junk when you ram into a tree.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I still think the center bearings are the bigger issue on the 840.
Nobody really likes talking about them. Cause or solution.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If the “repair” for both situations is replace the rail(s), who gives a flying duck. In both of the broken mono rail situations I’ve heard of, both were rideable to get out. In the one bent mono rail situation I’ve heard of, it was rideable to get out. How many twin tails are you bending back straight and hopping back into the mountains?

Polaris a-arms break, Cat a-arms bend. Different design ideas and both are junk when you ram into a tree.

It's a snowmobile, not a family member.

It's okay.

Breathe deeply. They're just machines.

You asked me what cat needed to figure out with the alpha rail and I answered you without using the word purple. You should respect that.

Want to place bets on whether or not they revise the design a little? I mean if there's nothing wrong with it, you've got nothing to worry about right?:face-icon-small-hap

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I still think the center bearings are the bigger issue on the 840.
Nobody really likes talking about them. Cause or solution.

Don't forget the detached oil lines and the outboard bearings that aren't even seated! Very minor things but still.......

first year, polaris, motor

I still can't even fathom how that made sense to anyone to take a chance on.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014

It's okay.

You asked me what cat needed to figure out with the alpha rail and I answered you without using the word purple. You should respect that.

Want to place bets on whether or not they revise the design a little? I mean if there's nothing wrong with it, you've got nothing to worry about right?:face-icon-small-hap

So disagreeing with you with logical arguments means I’m defending Cat??? That’s an argument made by someone who can’t defend their position. Im just saying I think you’re wrong in your “strength” argument.

I hope they do redesign it slightly, but not due to breaking concerns. I don’t want it to eat hyfax if the track isn’t fiddle string tight.

I also want them to redesign the air intake so it doesn’t choke off and throw you over the bars in chest deep powder.

I also want them to change the gauge cluster mount so it isn’t so easily ripped off by a branch.

I don’t want them wasting time and weight making a skid stronger when I don’t think it needs to hold up to landing on a stump hard.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014

It's okay.

And hey! It has feelings too...don’t call it just a machine!!!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
So disagreeing with you with logical arguments means I’m defending Cat??? That’s an argument made by someone who can’t defend their position. Im just saying I think you’re wrong in your “strength” argument.

I hope they do redesign it slightly, but not due to breaking concerns. I don’t want it to eat hyfax if the track isn’t fiddle string tight.

I also want them to redesign the air intake so it doesn’t choke off and throw you over the bars in chest deep powder.

I also want them to change the gauge cluster mount so it isn’t so easily ripped off by a branch.

I don’t want them wasting time and weight making a skid stronger when I don’t think it needs to hold up to landing on a stump hard.
I just want the chest deep powder!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

I meant that part too but breaking shlt is more dramatic.

And hey! It has feelings too...don’t call it just a machine!!!

Only the orange ones have feelings. The other colors are souless hollow hulks of machinery with no sense of self.

True story.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Only the orange ones have feelings. The other colors are souless hollow hulks of machinery with no sense of self.

True story.
I'll take an orange one!
I had the orange 14 le.
I like the 18 King cat!
Both of those sleds have good durable engines.(gotta throw in an engine comment every so often)
Not as crisp and peppy as the Ctec2 though.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
I just want the chest deep powder!

Monday in West was that way. We were the only ones in Black Mountain. Rented a 165 Alpha since my 154 wanted to be a mono ski... it was everything it could do to get around in some of the spots. Doing down hill powder turns it would go straight over my head. Felt like I was driving a submarine! The wind really filled in some spots and hadn’t been there long enough to firm up.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Monday in West was that way. We were the only ones in Black Mountain. Rented a 165 Alpha since my 154 wanted to be a mono ski... it was everything it could do to get around in some of the spots. Doing down hill powder turns it would go straight over my head. Felt like I was driving a submarine! The wind really filled in some spots and hadn’t been there long enough to firm up.
What other sleds where with u?
How did they compare?
Of course i must ask, did the engine make it through the trip?

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
I meant that part too but breaking shlt is more dramatic.

True story.

No, no, no... orange sleds are like red heads. They have no souls. The purple ones are sensitive little beings with no sense of identity. They need great emotional support. They’re different than everyone and constantly teased as being a bit of a hermafrodite... if you support them, they will be there for you. If you tease them and push them away, they are suicidal. Mine jumped right into a tree because I let another person ride her without discussing it with her first.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
What other sleds where with u?
How did they compare?
Of course i must ask, did the engine make it through the trip?

My buddy still rides his ‘16 Cat LTD. It wasn’t even close. He’s a better rider than I am by a fair margin. Raced pro for Cat several years back and has been riding back country since he was knee high to a grasshopper. Lighter, stronger, and 3x better shape... I can out ride him on my 154 fairly easily. When I jump on his after riding mine I’m stuck constantly because I’m used to the Alpha being able to climb out of situations you wouldn’t expect. Both engines are still going strong! The ‘16 has 3k miles, my ‘16 had 2,800 after last year. I’m at about 200 on my Alpha.

I rode an 850 Polaris in Rabbit Ears a couple weeks ago. I liked how crisp it was, but I don’t think it had the mid range of the Alpha and know it doesn’t have the traction. It didn’t blow up in the 5 min I rode it though, so that’s good.

Premium Features