• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting pelican case on tunnel

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have been running cheap portable tool boxes on my tunnel the last 3 years after having poor luck with expensive tunnel bags either falling off or getting soaked. They have actually worked extremely well. I have never had one come off, and my things have always remained dry. Only fault has been the latch systems arent great so I zip tie them shut and only put survival gear that I dont PLAN to use in them. I have just drilled 4 holes in the bottom of them and used carraige bolts to attach them to the tunnel tracks. I am going to upgrade to a pelican case (2450 storm) this winter and was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for attaching one with somesort of a quick release system? Are the polaris lock and ride latches something that could be fitted to the inside or outside of the case? I see polaris sells them individually, but I have never been around them. Lets hear some ideas.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I put one on in 2010 when I got my IQ. I made the cradles which bolt to the slot rails so that the box would drop in and then use a single strap to keep it down. Simple to get into, simple to remove but has never come off without me unbuckling it first.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
1/4 carriage bolts drill through the bottom ove the case and use some rtv

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
another forum also suggested Sea Horse box/case from digi key or amazon prime, I like this idea and mount up on 1"channel or 1"80/20 extrusion so air and snow can get under the case to augment cooling! I like the idea of hard case and weather-tite, I can put lunch and candy bar and water in my avi-pack on my back.

gtwitch in wyoming

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I put one on in 2010 when I got my IQ. I made the cradles which bolt to the slot rails so that the box would drop in and then use a single strap to keep it down. Simple to get into, simple to remove but has never come off without me unbuckling it first.

The best part would be not beating up the painted tunnel..... (On mine)

I like it!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

That's pretty cool, but why not mount the Pelican case to your mounts so that you can get into the case really easy? You could use a carabiner in the padlock holes to keep it from popping open.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Here's a couple old pics of the case I use. Have used it since 2013, without issue. Last pic was last season.

It's a Plano 4 pistol case, from Walmart. Cost me about $20 total. I 3D printed the mounts, but they could easily be made of wood or metal or plastic. I bolted on pucks to the case, which fit into holes in the bars. Then a webbing strap with a big 2" buckle holes it to the sled. The strap is missing from the second pic, but it goes under the cross bars. It's never fallen off and keeps everything dry.

tunnel_case.jpg case_up.jpg views_2.jpg

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
That's pretty cool, but why not mount the Pelican case to your mounts so that you can get into the case really easy? You could use a carabiner in the padlock holes to keep it from popping open.

By simply popping the buckle I can get to the lid of the box real easy. I can also just as easily grab the case and take it in the house/cabin, truck, lunch spot, or sit on it. It is also easy to tip over to dry out if something gets wet inside of it like a punctured water bottle. Personal preference I guess.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Tow buddy?? I have yet to ride over one week without needing at least one SNO-BUNGEE so I will have to find another place for that but my usually empty gas can rack will do the trick here!

gtwitch in wyoming

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Ended up mounting a 2300 Storm to my tunnel. I used craiggerbuilt polaris t slot rails mounted with their included hardware, and drilled some new holes with countersunk bolts run up through the bottom into the case. Case appears to be bomb proof, and mounting seems sturdy although the rails are only 0.5" thick. If anything fails it will be the rails. Time will tell.
496dfce2452590f269ed7d676843cf90.jpg
ab457e71d74a07e1f09635883906a024.jpg
e828b5faa537ee704843ef1cf1dbb41f.jpg

Threw in a 6 pack for size reference. 0.71 cubic foot of DRY storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Just under $150 total invested here. Craiggerbuilt dinged me hard on shipping the rails. Case itself was $100 shipped.

I also have a 2200 storm case that could be turned length wise and mounted on top of the rails, using longer carriage bolts in the tunnel slots and run up through the case and bolted on inside. I think this setup would be stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features