• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone else underwhelmed by the SHOT???

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The 20 pounds in weight loss from SHOT does make a difference you can feel, it's simple physics.

The accumulated effect of having to move around 20 extra pounds all day adds up. Just like not having to pull start your sled 40-50 times in a day adds up. It's all about energy use on the rider's part.

The reason lighter toys (mountain bikes, road bikes, sleds, skis, etc.) are better (as long as strength and durability don't suffer) is they just take less energy for human beings to use and control.

If someone said do you want to carry that backpack around all day with 20 less pounds in it, of course you'd say yes.

Last, less weight = a better hp to weight ratio. It's like getting extra hp without increasing engine size.

In sum, less weight is better and for what it costs to reduce weight on these sleds, SHOT is a viable option.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I ride with Matte Murder so I hear the constant complaining all day :face-icon-small-ton ..."this damn SHOT!"...."can you give me a ski pull?"..."can I use your saw?"..."we are going to need more guys here to get this one out"...and my favorite, the yelling of "F#@K" from the ridge above.
MM is a good rider and good guy, he just wondered if anyone else is seeing inconsistencies with the SHOT system.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Maybe once a day, or once every other day of riding, I will have to press the button twice to get the sled to start, but I'm happy with the shot system. I have several friends with shot and theirs all seem to operate just like mine.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
We did have issues with our shot system. But that was more of a dealer not getting the software update installed correctly and not testing it before we picked up the sled.
Otherwise its worked as advertised. Maybe even better. In warmer weather the charge can last up to 3-4 hours.
Im really hoping the rest follow.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Someone had to make a trail 80% of the way up so 1500psi could steal all the glory on his turbo :face-icon-small-dis

IMO 1500 PSI is so talented that a turbo is not needed for him to steal the glory....the guy can ride:):):)

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I have tried a couple sleds with shot, and it just feels strange when you hit the button and nothing happens sometimes for 2 seconds. My brain thinks something is not right after one second-- what can I say maybe you get used to it after a while. Shoot is a great concept , just not perfected at this time.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Wow Matt is complaining about something and might of realized the 8shiddys have some issues next thing you know he’s going to blow a belt and have a coming to Jesus moment...of all the short comings of the G4 I did not find the shot to be one of them

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Okay Chief??? Great. From a moderator or owner of the forum. I expecteded that from the peanut gallery. Then the guy quotes my post but must still not READ IT!
Ok. Slowly for you my little buddy Chrissy so you can quit feeling like I’m unfairly criticizing your wonderful machine. Which you have THREE, count them THREE, of and you remind us all in nearly everyone of your posts. You other ding dongs might catch up too. But I doubt it
1. It’s not quick like e start(before you all cry in unison, I used words like slow, underwhelmed etc. that doesn’t mean I HATE it, doesn’t mean it SUCKS, it’s just not e start). It always feels like it’s not working right even when it works right lol.
2. It’s not 2-3 seconds on mine. It’s 2-3 seconds over and over sometimes. It’s not working like it SEEMS to be on others sleds. I THINK I have a problem. Is there ANYONE else having a PROBLEM. This is a FORUM, where guys ask questions about PROBLEMS they are having with the sled.
3. I explained how the small button was MAYBE part of the issue. It reminds me of the reverse button on the 12-17 Cats that I couldn’t get my gloves finger to work easily.
4. It’s not 20 freaking pounds dif with a LW battery. It’s 10. The Shot weighs 2-3lbs so net net net its 10lbs. No one can feel that on a sled. That’s 1.5-2% of a sled with rider.
5. Gotta pull it once in the morning. I KNOW I’m going to get
Called a wuss for this but I’ve got a bad neck and shoulder injury. Pulling the sled even once hurts. I’ve been doing it all season, just wish I didn’t have too and I’ve got too much price to ask someone to pull it lol. A female friend of mine had to install e start on her sled because she just couldn’t pull start it without hurting herself
either.
I didn’t post this for a bit trying to figure out why I was getting some grief for this post. I think it’s because e start isn’t COOL. I got more grief for my pro e start posts over the past 7-8 years than my Shot is mediocre original post. Guys can be be cool hard core mountain riders with SHOT but they are flat lander trail riding poser whimps with e start.
Any way.... I’m done. Flame away lol. It’s like I pointed out how tiny your units were or something:face-icon-small-dis

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Okay Chief??? Great. From a moderator or owner of the forum. I expecteded that from the peanut gallery. Then the guy quotes my post but must still not READ IT!
Ok. Slowly for you my little buddy Chrissy so you can quit feeling like I’m unfairly criticizing your wonderful machine. Which you have THREE, count them THREE, of and you remind us all in nearly everyone of your posts. You other ding dongs might catch up too. But I doubt it
1. It’s not quick like e start(before you all cry in unison, I used words like slow, underwhelmed etc. that doesn’t mean I HATE it, doesn’t mean it SUCKS, it’s just not e start). It always feels like it’s not working right even when it works right lol.
2. It’s not 2-3 seconds on mine. It’s 2-3 seconds over and over sometimes. It’s not working like it SEEMS to be on others sleds. I THINK I have a problem. Is there ANYONE else having a PROBLEM. This is a FORUM, where guys ask questions about PROBLEMS they are having with the sled.
3. I explained how the small button was MAYBE part of the issue. It reminds me of the reverse button on the 12-17 Cats that I couldn’t get my gloves finger to work easily.
4. It’s not 20 freaking pounds dif with a LW battery. It’s 10. The Shot weighs 2-3lbs so net net net its 10lbs. No one can feel that on a sled. That’s 1.5-2% of a sled with rider.
5. Gotta pull it once in the morning. I KNOW I’m going to get
Called a wuss for this but I’ve got a bad neck and shoulder injury. Pulling the sled even once hurts. I’ve been doing it all season, just wish I didn’t have too and I’ve got too much price to ask someone to pull it lol. A female friend of mine had to install e start on her sled because she just couldn’t pull start it without hurting herself
either.
I didn’t post this for a bit trying to figure out why I was getting some grief for this post. I think it’s because e start isn’t COOL. I got more grief for my pro e start posts over the past 7-8 years than my Shot is mediocre original post. Guys can be be cool hard core mountain riders with SHOT but they are flat lander trail riding poser whimps with e start.
Any way.... I’m done. Flame away lol. It’s like I pointed out how tiny your units were or something:face-icon-small-dis

Holy moly. Maybe go see a doctor or consider PT. Something to get healthy!

If you can't pull start your sled *once* (or have a buddy do it), yet somehow your pride doesn't get in the way of whining about it on the internet, well, I don't know what to say.

The only thing I agree with is maybe they could do a different button configuration with a larger button. Then again, I like using the reverse button as its cleaner, and I don't need to be accidentally hitting that when riding.

I do agree most can't tell 10 pounds on their sled (example, most don't ride a TON better when they are 1/4 tank compared to 3/4 tank), but every pound does count, and you'd have to be silly to think e-start is really, actually, superior to SHOT.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The fuel burn is a valid comment. Especially at the end of the day after burning 5-6 gallons or more. The other huge weight issue on a Doo is snow accumulation. My 850 has to be carrying 50-75lbs of snow on the deep days. My sled does feel more sluggish and harder to work on the over hood days but I just always figured that was the sled fighting 3’ of heavy Coastal snow. The 10lb lighter is really irrelevant on a ready to ride on the mountain comparison.
And JJ it’s stupid, not silly, to think Shot is “better” than e start. The only thing better about Shot is it’s 10lbs lighter. Performance wise, by any measure, e start is better.
Also, do you make fun of handicapped people face to face too or just on the internet lol.
I thought I was just stating an opinion and my personal experience. I really didn’t think this was whining. There was only one hard rule I had for my kids and that was no whining. If this came off like that it was not my intent.
Last post on this. I want these minutes of my life back lol.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
And JJ it’s stupid, not silly, to think Shot is “better” than e start. The only thing better about Shot is it’s 10lbs lighter. Performance wise, by any measure, e start is better.
Also, do you make fun of handicapped people face to face too or just on the internet lol.
Last post on this. I want these minutes of my life back lol.

I didn't hear you say anything about you being handicapped. Sorry if I was insensitive.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
The other huge weight issue on a Doo is snow accumulation. My 850 has to be carrying 50-75lbs of snow on the deep days.

I think its easy to overestimate how much snow and ice the sled carries around. Yes, there is a lot of snow and ice on my sled on the cld deep days, but 75 pounds is 9 gallons of water, even if you scraped all the snow and ice off your sled and put it in buckets it wouldn't fill 2 5 gallon buckets, and once that snow melts and all the air is gone the volume will shrink a lot. I'd be surprised if the tunnel and the back end of the running boards ever has more than 2 gallons of water as ice and snow on it, and it's probably much closer to 1 gallon typically.

Last edited:
Premium Features