• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Member Comments on "Letter to All Members"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
To: All SnoWest Members
Subject: Big Changes Coming to the SnoWest Forums

So What’s The Cost?

A 12-month membership to the SnoWest Online Forums will cost $29.95. However, we recognize times are tough for a lot of people right now, so we’ll be doing a few things to keep the subscription affordable:

All Current SnoWest Forum Members:

·1 Year Forum Subscription: $14.95/yr, 50% off (thats just 4 cents a day)

·2 Year Forum Subscription: $12.50/yr, 58% off

·3 Year Forum Subscription: $9.99/yr, 66% off (Only 3 cents a day!)

AND with any paid forum membership you qualify for either a SnoWest or SledHeads magazine subscription for only $14.95!
And how much of the elite member's fee will be refunded to me to offset the 3 year subscription that I paid for already to SnoWest should I decide to remain?
I've gotta tell you...Most of what you call goodies means absolutely nothing to me as I'm forced to use only a dial up connection where I live, It's all that's available to me but I would not want to be restricted from posts or anything that I have access to today.
All the other garbage will never work unless I had a high speed connection and even so...I would never use it as it doesn't interest me at all.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It should stay right here as it is a general announcement and every member will be getting a direct PM and an E-Mail alerting them to this.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And how much of the elite member's fee will be refunded to me to offset the 3 year subscription that I paid for already to SnoWest should I decide to remain?.
Why would your paid magazine subscription have any impact on your forum membership dues? They are wholly separate and unrelated. So I would expect that none of your paid magazine subscription would be refunded to you.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
so is there a refund if you get booted????.......just asking
What is it that your planning on doing that will get you permanently banned from the site?? It takes some pretty egregious behavior to get on that list, behavior that you would have to voluntarily choose to participate in knowing full well what the rules are on the site, and what the likely consequences are.

But to your question.
I don't know. This never came up in any discussion.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
A lot of us have to grown to be one big family. We care about this site, AND the people on it. Some we've met in person, some we've ridden with, some we've talked with on the phone, some we've texted with, and others we just know from this Forum (which is every bit as important).

I was a member first, then became a moderator (which I was doing last year so this isn't new to me). I cared so much for this site and it's members, that I wanted to help out (even with the abuse one gets by doing so). Edit, delete or lock something, and hear about. Don't edit, delete, or lock something, and hear about it from others (which most times comes in the form of PM's because the people don't want to get attacked by expressing their view in public).

The second most complained about thing I've heard is exactly as Darrin said, people bashing or picking fights. Instead of stating an opinion in a respectful manner, people resort to name calling, or "my Dad can beat up your Dad". You don't need profanity and belittling to make a point. This IS why we've lost some of the users who would try to help out (not just with tech info, but in other areas as well, like donating to people in their time of need, or being there with a shoulder, or organizing 4M rides in their area, or helping with advice on so much, or a number of other things). I've heard that right from many of them.

This price is fair. Heck, this is the equivalent the price of having a couple of beers/drinks, or eating out once, or going to a movie, etc. It's less than a tank of gas in your sled.

I believe in the future of this place. I find a lot of value in the changes that are coming about, and I sincerely believe they will be for the betterment of the SW community. I look forward to SW becoming even greater, and the continued friendships, as well as new ones. :) I am proud to be a member here!!

Sandy

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I for one am very excited about the change! ;) As you can see no one is being left out. In fact some of the features are going to include members like never before.
The product review feature has been a long time coming and should be a very welcome addition. As well, we will soon be able to put faces to names with video chat.
People who need immediate help will now have access to it. Snowest is going to be the one stop shop for everything snowmobiling.
Sounds like we may eventually be able to plan our entire vacation just from this site!
As for the price, it feels more than fair. The support my family received from the people on this site is worth the cost alone.
I'm staying!

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
Why would your paid magazine subscription have any impact on your forum membership dues? They are wholly separate and unrelated. So I would expect that none of your paid magazine subscription would be refunded to you.
I'll type this slowly so you'll understand...

If I get a discounted Mag subscription for PAYING to use the site but I have already PAID full price for the next three years for the mag then I would think I should get the difference in the dicounted Mag subscription as a credit toward the Forum membership...

Got it?

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
A lot of us have to grown to be one big family. We care about this site, AND the people on it. Some we've met in person, some we've ridden with, some we've talked with on the phone, some we've texted with, and others we just know from this Forum (which is every bit as important).

I was a member first, then became a moderator (which I was doing last year so this isn't new to me). I cared so much for this site and it's members, that I wanted to help out (even with the abuse one gets by doing so). Edit, delete or lock something, and hear about. Don't edit, delete, or lock something, and hear about it from others (which most times comes in the form of PM's because the people don't want to get attacked by expressing their view in public).

The second most complained about thing I've heard is exactly as Darrin said, people bashing or picking fights. Instead of stating an opinion in a respectful manner, people resort to name calling, or "my Dad can beat up your Dad". You don't need profanity and belittling to make a point. This IS why we've lost some of the users who would try to help out (not just with tech info, but in other areas as well, like donating to people in their time of need, or being there with a shoulder, or organizing 4M rides in their area, or helping with advice on so much, or a number of other things). I've heard that right from many of them.

This price is fair. Heck, this is the equivalent the price of having a couple of beers/drinks, or eating out once, or going to a movie, etc. It's less than a tank of gas in your sled.

I believe in the future of this place. I find a lot of value in the changes that are coming about, and I sincerely believe they will be for the betterment of the SW community. I look forward to SW becoming even greater, and the continued friendships, as well as new ones. I am proud to be a member here!!

Sandy
I agree with you. I have liked this thread more sence that backcountryrebels started. Seems like there is less crying and complaining now on this forum. I'm going to stay where I am at. When I first started riding in the mountains I had no clue what was going on. I have learned so much about the mountains and my sled because of this forum. I have also met alot of cool people on this forum that are now my riding buds. I don't care if I have to pay a little for the info I get. The money it cost I have saved form stuff I have learned.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
I for one am very excited about the change! ;) As you can see no one is being left out. In fact some of the features are going to include members like never before.
The product review feature has been a long time coming and should be a very welcome addition. As well, we will soon be able to put faces to names with video chat.
People who need immediate help will now have access to it. Snowest is going to be the one stop shop for everything snowmobiling.
Sounds like we may eventually be able to plan our entire vacation just from this site!
As for the price, it feels more than fair. The support my family received from the people on this site is worth the cost alone.
I'm staying!
Well of course you are...

This new stuff will not be advantageous for anyone stuck on dial up.
It will overload their bandwidth.
Ever try to watch a You Tube video on dial up?
Same thing but no-one will answer that question from SW.

B
Dec 5, 1980

If I get a discounted Mag subscription for PAYING to use the site but I have already PAID full price for the next three years for the mag then I would think I should get the difference in the dicounted Mag subscription as a credit toward the Forum membership...

Got it?

I'm going to type at my normal speed hoping that you can keep up...

How much did you pay for your 3 year subscription (before the forum even considered going paid)? And when did you pay it?

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
I'm going to type at my normal speed hoping that you can keep up...

How much did you pay for your 3 year subscription (before the forum even considered going paid)? And when did you pay it?
Thank you for responding Darren.
I'll have to check but I just bought the 3 year at the Puyallup Snow Show this last October.

It's funny reall because I rarely read the mag.
I subscribe to help support the Forums. :rolleyes:

B
Dec 5, 1980
Thank you for responding Darren.
I'll have to check but I just bought the 3 year at the Puyallup Snow Show this last October.

It's funny reall because I rarely read the mag.
I subscribe to help support the Forums. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your support. I find it kind of funny too because now you can support the forums directly. :) I understand your frustration because of your dial-up access. But, surely you can see the value in separating the forums and making them self-supporting, can't you?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
I'm not above paying for a service I use actively if I see value.

That said, you can chop a few zeros off of your already inflated fantasy 36,000 member count going forward if you follow the thousand-points-of-light plan detailed above.

Sounds like the same old "adding features" that aren't needed instead of fixing the real problem. You don't seem to be hearing your users. You seem to be trying to marginalize them. $30k for a pair of Dells, a GE switch and a firewall is chump change - what does HP pay an admin for one year of babysitting that little rack of gear? (maybe therein lies the answer)

If you're not damn careful here you're going to kill the golden goose.
WE DO NOT WANT CLUTTERED CRAP! or BELLS & WHISTLES!

Video Conferencing, Malls......WTF? Is this how the grand plan was sold to HP?

You need to re-focus on what made this forum what it is today - or rather what it was up until about 8 mos ago! Simple & Effective.

If you do that, you will get unending support from this community, its long time users and will prosper.

MD.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

If I get a discounted Mag subscription for PAYING to use the site but I have already PAID full price for the next three years for the mag then I would think I should get the difference in the discounted Mag subscription as a credit toward the Forum membership...

Got it?
Thank you for typing slowly. Its so much easier for me to read that way. I see Darrin has already picked up on your question and is probably ahead of me on asking the powers that be if they want to create a retroactive program.

The intent of the new discounted rates were as an incentive going Forward to increase the number of dual subscribers as many forum members are not currently receiving the magazine, and many magazine readers are not on the forums.

B
Dec 5, 1980
Well of course you are...

This new stuff will not be advantageous for anyone stuck on dial up.
It will overload their bandwidth.
Ever try to watch a You Tube video on dial up?
Same thing but no-one will answer that question from SW.

But with the ability to turn a lot of these options on or off, I would think that you could still taylor it to your liking.

Maybe some of the "benefits" can't be taken advantage of, but the information alone, without all of the bells and whistles and hoopty doo has some inherent value, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features