• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris clutch change over

T
Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, Jason's sled is kicking the crap out of my 2009 m8. They were running about equal until he put this clutch set up in. Now he has 10 - 15 sled lengths on me on the hill. For the record i have a slp y pipe, can, pipe and cutler adjustable cam arms. Ther is no comparisons between the sleds right now.

C

Camo-toe

Nov 11, 2008
Canada
Do the 07-09 800's and 10-11 800's have the same taper on the clutches? Just wondering about switching the polaris clutch between a non h.o. and h.o. for comparision and testing.

K

khogan

Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Turn around and Longevity.

What is the turn around time on the clutch, day, week, etc?

Have you had them out testing long enough to see if they are outlasting the stock AC clutches. I understand the P-85 is a far superior clutch, I am just trying to validate spending twice as much if I don't get twice the life. Though in all reality I will probably only own the sled for another 1-2 seasons.

I am counting, based on Jason's post, that the performance gain will offset the cost.

Thanks - kh

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Is there going to be one for the M-1000 or is the crank to big???

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
What is the turn around time on the clutch, day, week, etc?

Have you had them out testing long enough to see if they are outlasting the stock AC clutches. I understand the P-85 is a far superior clutch, I am just trying to validate spending twice as much if I don't get twice the life. Though in all reality I will probably only own the sled for another 1-2 seasons.

I am counting, based on Jason's post, that the performance gain will offset the cost.

Thanks - kh

Worst case turnaround is currently 7-8 days. We are currently stocking the 2010 800 application since we have seen the most demand for it-all others we are building on demand-the clutches are in stock so the wait is only on our machine shop scheduling.

This is the first season of use on the 800, second season on the 700 and big bores there of and we've been selling this set up for the old 1m 8/900(and 1000, 1150 big bores) for four years now.

If you maintain this clutch as expected with any clutch it will far outlast your Cat primary. for high milers, abusive conditions or turbos, we pull them apart twice a season and shim the spider buttons along with checking the weight pin bushings for wear and replacing if neccessary. expect to replace the cover and moveable bushings every season if you are a high miler or turbo owner, every other season if not.

This is easy maintenance to perform and cheap if you stay on top of it. We can supply the tools and parts for you to do this at home-its great beer thirty work!

Like any other clutch, don't expect to thrash on it for 1500 miles with zero maintenance-it will cost you in performance and the wallet:face-icon-small-sho

Hmmmm, I think its time for a clutch maintenance video...

Curt

Mar 15, 2010
anchorage
Freakin love it!

How much does it cost to have a Polaris p85 clutch set up to run on a m8 and who out there does that kind of work for clutch setups, thanks.

I just put one on my 2010 800 snopro, quite frankly I was worried the taper or alignment with the secondary would be off.

It fit perfectly I only needed to shim the secondary a touch, I borrowed some 68 gram weights from a Polaris friend, and used a 120/340 spring.

I have a Cutler torsion kit so my weight may be a little light for other secondary set ups.

What I liked about the clutch is, it's snappy and sweet out of the hole, the pull is consistent all the way to the top end, what was especially noticeable was the way it never paused while the sled accelerated.

I'll need to verify this in softer snow but it seemed as though the track speed jumped up quicker.

There seemed to be very little engine vibration, no noticeable belt wear, or excessive heat.

What I didn't like: absolutely nothing! I would have put one of these on my sled before the first ride if I had known about them.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Fastrax,

Do you have some baseline clutching setups? Especially for the 2010-2011 M8s?

Are you just using the 10 series Polaris weights?

I am wondering do you pull less weight because of the way the weights are pinned?

Like the Polaris sleds only run like 60 grams at around 9000 ft and I run 70.4 grams in my Cat (I run Dalton Adjustable weights).

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Fastrax,

Do you have some baseline clutching setups? Especially for the 2010-2011 M8s?

Are you just using the 10 series Polaris weights?

I am wondering do you pull less weight because of the way the weights are pinned?

Like the Polaris sleds only run like 60 grams at around 9000 ft and I run 70.4 grams in my Cat (I run Dalton Adjustable weights).

GlennRMK, yes these set ups pull less weight because of the pin location and the sheave angles are both more aggressive than the Cat clutch. We typically set up with 10 series since they have proven to be one of the more consistent day to day profiles in these clutches. We've tested with many other styles of cam arm and some of our customers are currently testing on their own with several different weight styles but we've yet to see the consistency of the good old 10 series.

As a general set up: we tune around a 140/330 spring. at 10,000' 62g , 6000' 66-69g and low alt will be up around 70-72g.

Please bear in mind that your secondary set up and gearing will have a huge effect on the primary weight calibration so that is all info that will need to be referenced before choosing a calibration.

20K--glad to hear you are up and running....have fun!
curt

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Curt......I have a Cat clutch right now.....wondering if it can be repaired?

attachment.php

A
Jan 16, 2008
wow, your lucky you didn't take a piece of cast aluminum to the grill.
good reason to NOT port the belt gaurd, its not just for the belt.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
wow, your lucky you didn't take a piece of cast aluminum to the grill.
good reason to NOT port the belt gaurd, its not just for the belt.

unfortunately the pipes were there to shield against any damage to the hood. Side panel exploded into about 10 million pieces.......brand new CPC vents on the sled too......dammit.

attachment.php

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Man thats scary ain't it? I can't count how many of these failures we've seen.....assuming you are OK and glad for it.

I've got this really cool aluminum welding rod......make 'er good as new!

Curt

Awesome! I'll Fedex it now!
Basically the hood "popped" like it had when it caught fire a few years ago.....so there were some tense moments...but an easy tow back to the truck.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
We'll put yer mommas name on the cover if it'll make you more comfortable!:face-icon-small-ton

How about one of those fancy Fett Bros adjustable covers instead? Added function and you can hide the fact that its a Poo part on your kitty!:face-icon-small-sho

Curt

Premium Features