• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedwerx M-series Supercharger

J

JENSEN BROS

Nov 27, 2007
ELKHORN
Don't get me wrong. I know turbos work. I don't like the underhood heat of a turbo. A supercharger has less boost, a cooler air charge temperature and as a result less engine cylinder wear. Just like a stock head has less cylinder wear than a high compression head. This is just plain physics that no one can refute.

I commend speedwerx for pushing the envelope to another level just like the first turbo 10-15 years ago. It is businesses like this that helps the snowmobile industry evolve to the next level.

I know some of you have had problems with speedwerx over the years. I have also. But i have also had problems with D&D, Hooper Racing, Black Magic and others. If we were all honest, i believe some of our problems were self induced but we still want to blame the parts companies. High performance is not an exact science like people want to believe. When you modify a vehicle or boat, there is no warranty. The only way a business survives is to do the best they can to make their product work for all who purchase it. If not, they won't be around long.

The price of the supercharger is going to be more than a turbo. First reason is because it is new. Just like the first turbo kit was much more than it is today. Second, the kit comes with everything, complete exhaust, clutching, supercharger and brackets and programmer. Those of you who have purchased turbos know that you still have tuning to do to make the turbo run correcly. My only exposure is with the boondocker pump and race gas turbos. They are way off from the specs that they send you. I wil let you all know how far off speedwerx is when i head out in december. hopefully before xmas. They feel that their specs will work for everyone and be safe. There will be more power for the guy who wants to push the edge and watch for good fuel.

A supercharger is not for everyone. A turbo is not for everyone. That is why there are so many different sleds, engines, lengths and tracks. Not one fits all. Variety is what makes the world go round. It is fun to tease but don't throw stones at something you don't like or agree with. I ride cats. I grew up on ski doos. I ride with all four brands and we all have fun teasing each other about eachothers sled. Everyone is first at some point in time whether it is a mechanical break down, trees, rocks or a stupid decision. The point I am making is lets all have fun, thank the companies that have made our sleds as good as they are, and support eachother so we can keep riding the awesome mountains.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If we were all honest, i believe some of our problems were self induced but we still want to blame the parts companies. High performance is not an exact science like people want to believe.

Second, the kit comes with everything, complete exhaust, clutching, supercharger and brackets and programmer. Those of you who have purchased turbos know that you still have tuning to do to make the turbo run correcly.

I agree with you on most points, but as to the above... the cracked pipes & cans that SW has refused to fix (not all for some reason, but some) are tough to blame the customer for.

As to the kit, any of the turbo kits can be purchased with all they need to run, and I can honestly say that the cutler kits we have, have required zero tuning from where we got them at (just my personal experience on two cutlers, by no means a comprehensive guarantee!). If that underhood heat is worth the $2000, then sweet, I REALLY am looking forward to seeing them, and I really hope they're something special & that they rip for the customers!

Btw, SW didn't push anything, Chad at Empire did, SW may have been involved at the tail end, but Chad was the driving force behind this project, I've been hearing about it for long before Jeremy got involved & jacked up the price & have NEVER heard "Jeremy is taking it to the snowies to test" or anything of the sort.

J

JENSEN BROS

Nov 27, 2007
ELKHORN
I dont know why chad from empire allows sw to take credit. there must be something that we don't know. maybe chad couldn't figure something out. maybe he doesnt have a good distribution network. there must be something for him to allow sw to take credit for the kit if he really is the brains behind the supercharger. i hope that chad gets what he deserves in the deal. it is a shame when people take credit for someone elses work. we still cant cast stones without all of the facts. i hope jeremy is an honorable business man to give credit where it should go.

EDP

Lifetime Membership
I can assure you guys that the kit would not be where it is at now with out the support of Jeremy and Crew at Speedwerx. They can take all the credit they want for the end Product. I am happy with where I am at. We are a diesel shop and mess with sleds on the side. I do not have the time or resources to make this kit and if I did it would have never been able to reach the hp level it has with out Jeremy.

You guys bicker about the price but have yet to ride one. I dont know how many times I have to tell you guys break it down what you are all getting for that Price. Bottom line is R-N-D cost a crap tone of $ many of these guys PUSHING turbo kits have no over head nor any employees.

You compare to other competing kits and there $ point. SW has been around for a long time and I dont see them going anywhere in the future. I have delt with some of the people you guys list and there is a reason I chose SW in the end to partner up with this project. There is way to many people in the industry that are fly by night knock offs and do nothing them self so they can sell a product in the end at a discounted price.

Best of luck to you all. I know what Ill be riding this year. I will keep you guys posted on when and where Ill be riding so you guys have the opportunity to experience the ride.

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
There has been a LOT of testing going on for this project. They (Chad and Jeremy) have been all over the place and have spent at least two weeks last year around here getting things dialed in. It is a process and sometimes you spend all day just getting the right fueling or a blow off valve fitting to work. I am optimistic on the results we will see. The kit is $5995 and is complete. We are installing them for $500.00 and most shops will be able to do the same. So you are looking at $6500 installed, which is pretty standard with a turbo.

Lets get some on the snow and see how they work.

J

JENSEN BROS

Nov 27, 2007
ELKHORN
SUPERCHARGER

Getting my supercharger friday. Installing this weekend. Riding centennial thurs and fri after xmas. will keep you informed as i go. jeremy seems to be very helpfull. he has spent the last two weeks in colorado tuning. he is very happy and still is working on fine tuning for big power.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Let us know how it does, what kind of boost you're getting, etc.

Curious to see how they do against a well set up turbo, that's the only question that really matters.

Enjoy, I wish there was more snow out here for ya, but it's getting slightly better, little by little.

Oct 27, 2008
sw

speedwerx is the last company i would bye a 6k kit from i had a complete speedwerx pipe system on my m1000 the y-pipe cracked called i got told sorry so i welded it my self no big deal then the can cracked in 4 spots called same result back to the welder got it fixed well wouldnt you know it the pipe split the o2 weld broke and blew the prob out i didnt even want to call so i welded it then it split again along the seem so it was pulled off replaced with jaws twins the pipe got 2 30rd clips from my ar-15 screw them a company that cant stand behind there product when it fails 4 times last thing i would do is give them 6k for somthing that hasnt been out that long no thanks dont need to spend 6k when it fails to have them say sorry

J

JENSEN BROS

Nov 27, 2007
ELKHORN
SUPERCHARGER FINALLY RIDDEN

had to cancel my last two trips because of lack of snow. went to togwotee for five days to see if i made a good purchase. Jeremy met me there to test for the first day. we had small issues with an occational octane light and acceleration from idle.

WOW. i cannot believe it. OH MY GOD. I confirmed i made the correct decision. this thing rips. arm stretching acceleration from idle to wot. every movement of the throttle from idle to wot is felt in your arms. the linear power curve is exactly what i wanted. i dont like the turbo surge. when the power kicks in, it causes a sled to trench boondocking in the trees.

everyone in my group rode my sled even the 2011 turbo polaris. he even asked jeremy if he would build him a supercharger for a polaris. there is no comparison. once you ride with smooth big power, you will forget a turbo exists. our guide at togwotee is NATHAN. his exact quote was "oh i could have a lot of fun on this". if you go there, ask him his opinion.

with 4 psi of boost i couldnt believe that it could out climb an 8lb new polaris turbo. the cooler intake charge must be the answer. around 180 to 200 degrees. cooler intake temp equals power. there is no doubt about it, this is awesome.

i use less oil than i used to because i am in the throttle way less than i used to be. i am impresed with the fuel useage. my brother has an m8 and he used 7 gallons in a full day while i used only 9 gallons of fuel. just premium. not bad since he has 130 hp and i have 210 hp at 10,000 feet. we ride the exact same way. last year he would use one gallon less that me. so really i only use one gallon more than i used to and gained about 80 horsepower. i call this impressive.

i knew i wanted a supercharger since i have run both turbos and superchargers in cars, boats and jet skis. it is impossible to eliminate turbo lag where the supercharger has hard strong power from idle to wot. no turbos can do this and have a smooth linear power band. this is exactly what i wanted and have no regrets. if you have any ?s i will try to check this post often.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Glad to hear the good news about a super charger! Can you keep us updated about the durability of the gear box? I think this is where Rip Charger was having problems, longevity.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
had to cancel my last two trips because of lack of snow. went to togwotee for five days to see if i made a good purchase. Jeremy met me there to test for the first day. we had small issues with an occational octane light and acceleration from idle.

WOW. i cannot believe it. OH MY GOD. I confirmed i made the correct decision. this thing rips. arm stretching acceleration from idle to wot. every movement of the throttle from idle to wot is felt in your arms. the linear power curve is exactly what i wanted. i dont like the turbo surge. when the power kicks in, it causes a sled to trench boondocking in the trees.

everyone in my group rode my sled even the 2011 turbo polaris. he even asked jeremy if he would build him a supercharger for a polaris. there is no comparison. once you ride with smooth big power, you will forget a turbo exists. our guide at togwotee is NATHAN. his exact quote was "oh i could have a lot of fun on this". if you go there, ask him his opinion.

with 4 psi of boost i couldnt believe that it could out climb an 8lb new polaris turbo. the cooler intake charge must be the answer. around 180 to 200 degrees. cooler intake temp equals power. there is no doubt about it, this is awesome.

i use less oil than i used to because i am in the throttle way less than i used to be. i am impresed with the fuel useage. my brother has an m8 and he used 7 gallons in a full day while i used only 9 gallons of fuel. just premium. not bad since he has 130 hp and i have 210 hp at 10,000 feet. we ride the exact same way. last year he would use one gallon less that me. so really i only use one gallon more than i used to and gained about 80 horsepower. i call this impressive.

i knew i wanted a supercharger since i have run both turbos and superchargers in cars, boats and jet skis. it is impossible to eliminate turbo lag where the supercharger has hard strong power from idle to wot. no turbos can do this and have a smooth linear power band. this is exactly what i wanted and have no regrets. if you have any ?s i will try to check this post often.
Just curious you said 4 pounds and 80 hp is that correct ? 20/hp per pound?

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
WOW:director::director: If you're getting that kind of HP #'s with only 4 pounds, all of us will be able to pick up some really good deals on turbo parts and kits this summer!!! HAHAHA

J

JENSEN BROS

Nov 27, 2007
ELKHORN
supercharger reply.

just think. if i remember correctly a turbo intake temperature is around 300 degrees. you have the exhaust temp on one side of the turbo. this transfers heat to the intake charge of the turbo. that is plain physics. so if i have 180 to 200 degrees and the turbo is 300 degrees, you have 100 degree change.

lets go back to when we had carbs. 100 degrees translates to 8 to 10 jet sizes. that is just the facts about horese power. the cooler the intake temperature the more horsepower produced.

fyi. the diamond drive must be serviced regularly. once or twice a year depending how much you ride. you must replace that skinny bearing yearly to prevent shelling gear box.

***remember that 80 horsepower gain is at 10,000 feet. at sea level you still only have 4 pounds of boost and will only gain 45 horsepower. ***

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
fyi. the diamond drive must be serviced regularly. once or twice a year depending how much you ride. you must replace that skinny bearing yearly to prevent shelling gear box.

I'll talk smack about the SC, but I'm sure not gonna worry about the fact that it makes TOO MUCH hp for the DD... buy the DD lite, with hi torque gears...there are worse problems to have imo:D.

Btw Jensen, most charge temps I see are right around the high 100's to low 200's... maybe I'm missing something here, but that seems rather hot to me for a SC, I would have expected temps in the 100 range(just an out of my butt guess here) with ambient temps of say, 30 degrees.

J

JENSEN BROS

Nov 27, 2007
ELKHORN
I was shocked also till i did some checking after i saw 180 to 200 degree intake temp. do some research on the net for forced air, turbos and superchargers and you will see. i thought there was something wrong with my reading till i did some looking around.

J

JENSEN BROS

Nov 27, 2007
ELKHORN
trip to centennial

Going to centennial to ride thurs and fri. if anyone interested, i have a 12" arctic cat head on the hood and snow flap. orange and silver hood color. come over and i will show you what you under the hood.

J

JENSEN BROS

Nov 27, 2007
ELKHORN
UPDATE

need to correct a mistake. checked my boost and realized that i am pushing 6 to 7 psi of boost. was told long time ago that it was 4. sorry.

update. riding two days in centennial still working on the octane light coming on occ. i am running only 91 octane. dont want to carry race fuel. occ idle is not great. have to work the throttle some to get to accelerate. would call this kit 90% perfect. i am extremely particular so if and when i tell you all that this is a plug and play kit. you can take it to the bank. All i can tell the rest of you is after you have a supercharger, you will forget the turbo. love the linear power curve for all types of riding. later. wont get out again till march. will update you then.

EDP

Lifetime Membership
need to correct a mistake. checked my boost and realized that i am pushing 6 to 7 psi of boost. was told long time ago that it was 4. sorry.

update. riding two days in centennial still working on the octane light coming on occ. i am running only 91 octane. dont want to carry race fuel. occ idle is not great. have to work the throttle some to get to accelerate. would call this kit 90% perfect. i am extremely particular so if and when i tell you all that this is a plug and play kit. you can take it to the bank. All i can tell the rest of you is after you have a supercharger, you will forget the turbo. love the linear power curve for all types of riding. later. wont get out again till march. will update you then.

We run into the same thing with all setups at the range, that they seem to run lean for some reason.....

EDP

Lifetime Membership
Glad to hear the good news about a super charger! Can you keep us updated about the durability of the gear box? I think this is where Rip Charger was having problems, longevity.

The Ripcharger was a knock off of an actual supercharger....

The supercharger/headunit used in this kit is the same thing used on many powersports applications and street bikes. It has already had the durability tested and proven.

Premium Features