• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who else is psyched for SnowBike season to start?

B
I don't have any experience with your stock carb issues, but i will say if it gets to the point of not wanting to mess with it, bolt on a 40mm billet smart carb and a heater. has been very consistent for me even with snow above the knees today.

Thanks. I just sent a link to the SmartCarb-site, to my BIL.

That thing would solve many problems.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
or Lectron

My personal experiences with 3-4 Smartcarbs and one Lectron.....the Lectron was perfect. The Smartcarbs were more finnicky, harder starting etc. Now I know 50 guys will jump in and say once either is set, you are golden....and I had my Smartcarb 5 years ago before carb heat was as refined as it is now. Might be just fine now.

B
My personal experiences with 3-4 Smartcarbs and one Lectron.....the Lectron was perfect. The Smartcarbs were more finnicky, harder starting etc. Now I know 50 guys will jump in and say once either is set, you are golden....and I had my Smartcarb 5 years ago before carb heat was as refined as it is now. Might be just fine now.

Thanks. We will consider the Lectron over the SC.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

The smartcarb “choke” does almost nothing for cold starts. (Slide height is critical to create vaccum) and almost needs a primer.

Lectron choke seems to get the required fuel into the motor when activated. (Setting slide height done by lectron before you get it and runs epic)

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
Im really interested to know if they changed somthing, I would say that the choke doesnt do much aside from a slightly higher idle but that being said mine cold starts perfect with or without choke, got to around zero overnight and about 20 deg this morn and she fires no problem.

B
At least my bike is running perfectly and the DTS 129 kit is on and also ready to go.

Same with my 2004 Rev 500SS 121" snowmobile, still running strong and going on its 15th season. I will say, it is nice having both a snowbike and a snowmobile.

We got the kids a new Yamaha SnoScoot and neither kid has moved an inch on the machine so I'm excited to finally see one of them get on and go on it.

We'll be heading up north on either 12/21-Friday, or 12/22-Saturday and stay till at least the 26th-Wednesday and so far there is a great base but we'll just need more new snow to ride the snowbikes on but at least there still a couple of weeks to go till then and there is more than enough snow to ride the sleds on so no matter what there will be riding unless it really warms up between now and then.

B
48", yowza! You guys out west got it good for snowfall.

There is no snow in our 10 day forecast so all I'm hoping for now is for the snow that is up north, stays so we can at least ride the snowmobiles-which is still a lot of fun.

B
My nephew had emailed me this morning. Said they just got 18" of new snow.

I'll be leaving tonight to stay over and then ride tomorrow and head back at 1pm to pick the kids up at school for their 3pm dismissal.

By lunch, after having ridden all morning, we are usually all done as we just ride, and ride, and ride. Plus, with it being our first powder day tomorrow, I'm sure we'll be beat by 12pm.

P
Jan 3, 2018
NH
My nephew had emailed me this morning. Said they just got 18" of new snow.

I'll be leaving tonight to stay over and then ride tomorrow and head back at 1pm to pick the kids up at school for their 3pm dismissal.

By lunch, after having ridden all morning, we are usually all done as we just ride, and ride, and ride. Plus, with it being our first powder day tomorrow, I'm sure we'll be beat by 12pm.

Where do you consider up north? You riding Pittsburg? I'm hoping to head up this weekend (NH resident)

B
Where do you consider up north? You riding Pittsburg? I'm hoping to head up this weekend (NH resident)

I had spent from 2003 to 2010 riding in Pittsburg, every, single, weekend winter. It was the very best time of my life up there, but it was all trail riding on a Rev 600.

I'm up riding around Suicide Six in VT. Nothing groomed. We break the trail and it is all boondocking which is perfect snowbike country. No one around for a 30 mile radius. I just drove 125 miles tonight, 93 to 89.

There is fresh snow all around and it will be snowing on and off all night and into tomorrow. It will be our very first powder day of the year so I'm looking forward to going to bed soon, waking up and riding my bike down the ramp and out of the trailer and setting out and up the trail. It will be fun getting to the first meadow/clearing and riding around in the powder.

A full rehashing of the days events will be coming tomorrow.

B
*************Warning***Full-Humblebrag-Post, on the way************

Turn back now if you don't want or feel like reading about a good, no, make that great-time.

7pm. Wednesday night.

12-18" has fallen up north. The base was already a rock-hard 6".

My bike and trailer, and gear, are already 125 miles north. Truck is fueled up and I just need to get up there to ride in the morning.

The incredible craft I'll be piloting for the drive up is a Cayenne Diesel, 250 HP but 400+ foot lbs of torque. It has a super-sweet rush of smooth power, anytime and everytime one wants or needs it as the 8 speed transmission knows exactly what to do and when to do it as you command it with your right foot. Even with new Pirelli Winter snow tires and running well over the speed limit on the highway as the highway ride is desolate outside of the bigger cities-of which here is only one, maybe 2, one can just boogie and the Cayenne eats up the highway.

The Beta 500 RR-S takes four tries to fire. It fires every time but it has been a bit colder this morning so on the fourth try, the bike fires, stays fired and does its high idle until the fuel injection decides to settle into its normal, regular, idle=nice.

The Rekluse Raduis CX has, and once again, been a treat. I no longer need to wait for the engine to get to 140 or 150 in order for the clutch plates to separate and I can snick the bike into gear and go. The Rekluse has solved that problem. I can click and go after the bike has warmed up for 30 seconds to a minute or so.

The riding, oh my, I have realized that we only really need, or at least I, only need 6-8" to have fun when riding in powder or untracked snow. Anything more is gravy and yesterday was gravy as the powder was deep-for our neck of the woods, and it was heavenly. The bikes ran perfectly all day. The (Bane of my existence) the CRF450X ran perfectly. Starting on the button all day long with just the clutch pulled in and touching the button had the bike started and idling like it should have all along.

B
One of the weathermen around here had mentioned that yesterday was the halfway point for meteorological winter, that the season is about 1/2 way done is just nuts.

In any case, the forecast is for 10" of snow to fall on Saturday and another 12" for Sunday. I'm psyched as i'll be leaving to go up and ride tomorrow when I get out of work at 2pm. Yee-haw! 22" of fresh powder is going to be incredible.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I wish. southern AB has had about three, 3" dumps this winter so far. all of which were gone and melted due to the wind and +10C temps within 3-4 days.

it was straight up summer time yesterday. woke up to about 5" of fresh powder this morning, and supposed to be windy and warm (chinook) for the rest of the week so itll be gone once again in 2 days. looks like im going dirtbiking. have only been out once this year to the mountains (castle mountain, corbin, fernie area) and the snow sucked. no base and only a few feet total. last year we had like 40'. Revelstoke is looking a bit better but thats 5 hours north. just one of those winters for us. glad youre having fun!! im jealous.

B
I wish. southern AB has had about three, 3" dumps this winter so far. all of which were gone and melted due to the wind and +10C temps within 3-4 days.

it was straight up summer time yesterday. woke up to about 5" of fresh powder this morning, and supposed to be windy and warm (chinook) for the rest of the week so itll be gone once again in 2 days. looks like im going dirtbiking. have only been out once this year to the mountains (castle mountain, corbin, fernie area) and the snow sucked. no base and only a few feet total. last year we had like 40'. Revelstoke is looking a bit better but thats 5 hours north. just one of those winters for us. glad youre having fun!! im jealous.

Man, that does suck.

I can imagine the same thing happening here pretty easily as all last January right through February there was NO new snow. We had been riding on the hardpack for a good two months. Finally, there were three huge snowstorms every week for three weeks and the last month of riding was awesome.

At the start of March I was ready to put the wheels back on the bike as it had warmed up and all the snow had melted with nothing in sight.

Hopefully something will come, and soon for all y'all up there.

B
The 24-36" has been revised down, oh well. It is still exciting as the minimum amounts they are forecasting are 16-18", that is good enough for me as when there is already 6-12" of powder on the ground already, another 16" is going to make things just heavenly.

B
It did snow 24" on the 20th. It made for some great riding and almost too much powder as I was washing the front ski out from trying to carve turns too tight and not having the energy, or presence of mind to not try and turning so sharply.

It snowed another 10" overnight on Tuesday/Wednesday so I'll go up tomorrow morning to ride till 1pm and then come home, 3-day weekend, but no riding either Saturday or Sunday.

The season is flying by, just what I wanted as snowbiking is the ultimate winter accelerator. Next thing I know I'll be putting the wheels back on the bike and riding the bike back and forth to work and on the dirt.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
The season is flying by, just what I wanted as snowbiking is the ultimate winter accelerator. Next thing I know I'll be putting the wheels back on the bike and riding the bike back and forth to work and on the dirt.

Ah yes, the dirt. I remember that. Not waiting for dirt but I will be just as happy when it does come back. Taking a novice dirt rider friend up to Barrie tomorrow for only the third ride of this season with lots of new snow currently falling = ~6". It's sure cold up in S.ON Canada now. Bar warmers still not finished yet so it'll be a day for the hand warmer pouches. Brrr....

B
Ah yes, the dirt. I remember that. Not waiting for dirt but I will be just as happy when it does come back. Taking a novice dirt rider friend up to Barrie tomorrow for only the third ride of this season with lots of new snow currently falling = ~6". It's sure cold up in S.ON Canada now. Bar warmers still not finished yet so it'll be a day for the hand warmer pouches. Brrr....

Yup, the dirt seems a distant memory here too, with Monday getting to 50F and Tuesday 60F, the weather has been so up and down, but at least up north, with the 2-3' snowpack, winter is good 125 miles north of me where I ride.

Your "novice" friend is going to have a good time tomorrow. I thought about inviting a novice friend but as we have some good hills to climb, I wonder how he'd fare as he has not ridden a motorcycle in some 20 years. I had just called him now and he didn't answer. I had called him a couple of weeks ago and he had never returned my call to go snowmobiling.

Premium Features