• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 500 wire harness failure

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Last weekend my 2014 500 EXC started running poorly part way through the day. It would pop/back fire and cut out momentarily at mid rpm intermittenently. Seemed to run fine at high rpm. Kept riding and it progressively got worse and worse until it eventually wouldn't run at anything above an idle. It was running like it had a really low rev limiter and would stutter and not rev up much past idle. Ended up towing the bike back to the truck.

After a bunch of poking around it ended up being a broken wire in the harness where it goes from the R/H side frame above the radiator up into the handlebars. The wire that goes to the stop/run switch was broken off completely when i pulled it apart. It must have been partially making contact, and a couple other ones had cracked insulation with partially intact wires inside.

I'd say the failure was caused by continuous flexing of the wire harness in that area, cold temps and the extremely poor quality wire that KTM uses to build the harness. I have seen others have issues with wire harnesses on these bikes as well. Pretty disapointing to have such junky wire on a 10K+ bike. Something to look into if anybody else is having issues. I might rewire that section of the harness with better quality wire to help eliminate further problems.

M
Mar 12, 2018
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for posting this as a reminder. I had seen this in the past from some people, and kind of forgotten. I have the same bike. Some people on a dirt ride a couple years back told me to reinforce that area with some hose to keep it from flexing...Of course I didn’t listen.
I think there is an updated wire harness available from an aftermarket snowbike company. If I find it, I’ll post a link.

B
Last spring, I had my headlight quit working, along with a turn signal.

I had to go into my wiriing harness/bundle by the headstock only to find pinched/crushed/pulled wires. I got them back together and a few months later, my battery would stop charging and the bike, at times, would not start.

To make the long story shorter, Beta had made the harness just a bit too short and when the bars were/are turned side to side, the tiny wires get crushed/pinched/stressed and separated/pulled apart causing odd problems.

I had to buy a new harness at around $170-the same exact one that came with the bike, and swap out the old one but thankfully it was not that hard. I had eliminated a bundle clamp that I think was causing the wires to be stressed/stretched when the bar is turned full left so as to ease the strain on the bundle as it turns around the headstock/steering stem.

I only wish Beta or some aftermarket made an upgraded harness for my bike. I just have to hope that the wires don't get compromise or damaged again.

-unsound

Lifetime Membership
Oct 18, 2013
Fort Sask, Alberta
Old thread but i had the same problem with my 500 on the last trip this year. First the headlights stopped working and then it started running/starting intermittently. It got my home that day at least. When i took it apart i found 5 out of 8 wires in that spot were frayed or broken.

I soldered in a couple extra inches of wire to all of the wires when i repaired it so it has a bit more play when you turn the handle bars all the way to lock

H
Nov 16, 2014
this is a common failure on all snowbikes. My first snowbike, a 2010 crf450, had this issue as well. Took me a few months of replacing and testing parts to figure it out. Freeze/Thaw cycles these bikes goes through really wears out the wiring. Another major culprit is the highway salt.

Premium Features