• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track roll out distance?

T
Sep 21, 2018
Bend, OR
What have you tried and what do you like?

I just adjusted my CAMSO DTS to 17.25”. Haven’t ridden it yet but the stock gearing was a bit low. I failed to measure the roll out before I changed it but I bet it was 13” or so.

I learned the term recently as this is my first snowbike. For those that haven’t heard it, it’s the distance the track moves per single revolution of the bikes countershaft sprocket.
The longer the roll out distance, the taller the gearing.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
What have you tried and what do you like?

I just adjusted my CAMSO DTS to 17.25”. Haven’t ridden it yet but the stock gearing was a bit low. I failed to measure the roll out before I changed it but I bet it was 13” or so.

I learned the term recently as this is my first snowbike. For those that haven’t heard it, it’s the distance the track moves per single revolution of the bikes countershaft sprocket.
The longer the roll out distance, the taller the gearing.

I rode a Camso and noted that it was geared a little lower than I was used to.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I talked to one dealer that sells Camso as well as others -- his take was that the Camso just does not like to go fast. Awesome deep snow performance but limited on top speed. I never worked or one one so I could not comment personally. Let us know how it does once geared up or if you run out of power in the deep stuff.

T
Sep 21, 2018
Bend, OR
I talked to one dealer that sells Camso as well as others -- his take was that the Camso just does not like to go fast. Awesome deep snow performance but limited on top speed. I never worked or one one so I could not comment personally. Let us know how it does once geared up or if you run out of power in the deep stuff.

I will report back for sure. My change was a 28% increase in gearing per CAMSO’s chart. I was tempted to go a bit higher but didn’t. There is no reason the CAMSO shouldn’t be capable of speed any more or less than another track as far as I can tell. Yes you could make your gears tall enough to seriously hurt usefulness but there is for sure room to try things.
nyb413.jpg

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I found my 2019 kit to be geared lower than the 2017 Moto Trax that it replaced. To be honest, I like it this way. It is mounted on a WR 450, so I have the wide ratio transmission. With the Camso, third gear is money where as with the Moto Trax I was downshifting to second a lot more often. First gear is low enough that it is basically only for loading up in the truck, but it was that way with the other kit too.

The only time i have been able to get it on a trail that was smooth enough to go fast, I was mid-RPM range in fifth while beside a snowmobile that showed 38 on the speedometer. That is good enough for me. We really don't ride trails here so the deep snow performance is way more important that overall speed.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
roll em out

What I found on my last 4 snowbike kits riding the mountains of Western Montan at 5-7,000 ft. 13.8 " track roll out is what I am running. I've been up and down, 12 plus to over 15 according to my log book, but I have always come back to this around 13 1/2 to 14" of track roll out.

My bike is just rechecked is a stock 13 ktm 500 exc with what started as a 13 TS kit, now has 18 120 track. I did look, 13 on the bike to 17 on the jack shaft.

Using this constant measurement on bikes or sleds, eliminates all the sprocket/driver/ calculations. Only variable now is how tall a track.

When the first DD drive M7's came out, before there was snow on the ground we checked the track roll out........whoops, woefully over geared, we had already sorted out gearing on the F-7 arctic cats with the same 700 motor and knew our new sleds were going to be dogs with stock gearing. It took cat 5 years to gear them correctly stock and guys thought cat had added 15 hp. Gearing on the snow is always that big.

T
Sep 21, 2018
Bend, OR
WOW WOW WOW! I love the results of what I changed! At the mountain now and going back out! I am on a CRF450R with a stage 2 HOTCAM, Jd jetting, FMF powerbomb, and Lexx exhaust. Coutershaft sprocket is 14, and I swapped 15 and 17. 1st and 2nd are amazing crawler gears, 4th is the haul ass sweet spot, and 5th is there for downhill, packed snow, and trails. I would NOT gear taller. I can still climb walls, but the gearing is more forgiveable and MUCH easier to ride all around!

Premium Features