• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Clutching setups?

M

MAC29

Dec 9, 2007
eatonville,wa
I think either setup(torsion or compression) can be made to work equally well.It comes down to what you know better.

I am used to the old cat clutch so thats what I am going with.
Have had two years on my 07 M8 162 with the cutler setup(73 grams primary yellow.sring,red cat spring secondary)it rips compared to stock,I run same elevation as you do. Climbs with any non-turbo 800.7700-7800 rpms

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Hey guys i have a 09 M8 HCR i have a D&D Y pipe, D&D can that is about it for aftermarket engine. I ride at 2000ft and at 7500ft i am 6`1 235lb. I am looking at doing some clutching work not sure between the RKT or Dalton. What do you guys think is the best i like to boondock(tree ride) but sometimes hill climb.

longrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
peace river ab. can.
adjustable weights

I run Dultans. They work great. Super easy to make weight changes. Make sure you keep track of snow conditions and weights used. You will be able to make changes to stay in the machines zone before your buddy finishes his pop.

B

berdman

Nov 27, 2008
NW Iowa
just ordered the dulton adj weights and shift assist and also run the red secondary spring on my 07 M8, curious if anyone knows what weight the sled likes at the 10K-11K elevation range

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
bumping this for some info on my 09 M8. iv got the full slp exhaust, the rest is stock. i have pretty much decided on the RTK secondary setup, but im still scratching my head when it comes to primary weights. i will be riding anywhere from 2000' asl here at home, and 4000+ out west.

i have 77 and 73g cat weights, which is what cat recommends for those elevations....but iv been reading that with the addition of the slp system that cats specs wont be spot on.

iv been thinking adjustable weights for easy of tuning...?? dalton, cutler, speedworx....??

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
I'd run the cat weights and would save your money on buying the slp weights. In order to get those weights to work you're going to have to send the primary in to have them set it up for their weights. I have an rkt secondary and a full slp pipe set. I ride at a higher elevation than you so my weights are less. I've been very happy with my setup. I run 68g weights in the primary with a 120/300 spring and the secondary helix/spring is the one Kelsey recommended to me for my elevation of riding. Start with what he recommends and see what happens.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i WONT be running the slp/mtx weights. i have them and hate them. i do, however, like the idea of adjustable weights due to my change in elevation. i will also be doing some engine work when it needs a rebuild....so i would need new weights then anyways.

but you say you run 68g weights with the slp pipe. what elevation is this at? how would this compare if you were not running the pipe? would you be around 2g heavier?

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
i WONT be running the slp/mtx weights. i have them and hate them. i do, however, like the idea of adjustable weights due to my change in elevation. i will also be doing some engine work when it needs a rebuild....so i would need new weights then anyways.

but you say you run 68g weights with the slp pipe. what elevation is this at? how would this compare if you were not running the pipe? would you be around 2g heavier?

I ride between 5 to 8k as for weights if I ran the stock pipe, I don't know. If or when I was completly stock I ran 73g weights. Could not get the machine to hold the target rpm's of 7800. I then modified my sled IE slp pipe/can setup along with their air kit. Now I could not get the machine to hold target rps's of 8100. I tired several different weight/primary spring setups none with really good results. I then went with RKT's secondary and 95 percent of my problems went away. I started with 70g weight and ended up settling with 68g weights. I also tried to find the best spring for my setup and settled with the 120/300 I mentioned eariler. Once I switched to rkt's secondary my I did not have a problem holding rpm, it did take a bit of experimentation to find the combo of weights and spring to achieve my target rpm of 8100 and 42mph track speed.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
TTT
did not find much info on twins for the 07-08 800 So bought the SLP single with Y and can. It would be nice to hear some more info on the clutch set ups that have worked on these w slp pipe.
I have been all over the adv search and seems everyone liked the SLP pipe so I am going that rout.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
M8

I still get older M8's in for clutch improvment

If you want to spend some money to make an m8 go in western Mt 4-9000
first step is GEAR IT DOWN like the later M8

55/65 bdx gear
05-06 36 helix
orange spring secondary
shift assit no plastic spacers
13mm from face of end plate to white nut surface for starting point
belt deflection may a little on tight side
70 gram cat weight
gold cat primary
red cat if someone boondocks and takes care of clutching regularly
mds weights if you don't mind viscous ski lift
no cans
dd shim kit budget
porting if you want firt good engine mod

key is the 05-06 adjustable spring pressure, use it, experiment, the dd drive m sleds only clutching weakness is they made an unadjustable clutch..........until you make if adjustable

The very shifty DD / team clutch don't respond to helix, its not the old cat clutch so don't waste time going there. UP shift BAck shift all controlled with secondary spring pressure wihich you can't adjust stock ?? bad cat execution. But easy fix, the tang spring setups allow some adjust but are a throw back to more spring pressure robs more track speed.

Premium Features