• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EZ ryde skid.......rear hose on shock keeps tearing.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I know EZ ryde is not the greatest skid out there but over the years I have got it set up decent enough that it meets my needs.

The one part that keeps failing is the hose from the rear shock to reservoir. In approx 5000km it has pulled off 3x........the third time being today just riding across fields. Hose runs from top of shock to reservoir mounting to the side of the tunnel. Tricky to get it mounted just right so the track is not hitting it but a lot of snow/ice is smashing that cable all the time.

Christain at ez ryde has fixed it every time and done an overhaul on sock as well as I have to send in the entire unit (oil and pressure). Around 60$ total shipping and usually 60$ in parts rebuild. Getting annoying to have to keep fixing this.

Reservoir is mounted correctly as they describe. It will last around 1000-1500km then just disconnects. I just had the skid out last week and it looked fine.

Is there some stronger connection hose or better shock that would work? Would really hate to start over again with a different shock as I finally have this one set how I like it. (spring and valving).

I also have no intention of swapping in a different skid either at this point.

Wondering if others have had this problem and/or have a solution.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I had the same issue with mine. The last time I had mine fixed I got a weekend out of it before it failed. That was the final straw. Mines a 162. My wife has the same sled/skid but a 144 and we've never had an issue with it. I'm trying an Exit this year. Will see how that one works.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Christian is not in this week so I was talking to someone named cody.

Basically told me they have only had about 3 customers ever that have had this problem. Pretty much saying the only way it typically fails is with incorrect installation. The track must be bouncing some how and hitting hose.

I have taken pictures and spoke with christian at length and install is correct. The fit is really limited to where you can actually mount the reservoir so I am not sure how they can blame install. I have sent it back for valving and been through 3 different springs, and now had hose break off 3 times.

This shock is now set up to work and in the end have a bunch of $ into it. Not really sure I want to start all over with another shock.

That was his suggestion as they now put in a shock with a piggy back/attached reservoir. Retail 530$ dealer cost 420$. Not sure exactly what shock it is. Comes stock with a progressive rear spring 190/240 which I dont think is going to work at all. Those soft initial numbers give too much ski lift. With 270hp you dont want to give skid the opportunity to get the skies in the air.

Need to check my records but think I had 225 valving and a 275lb spring in the rear. Made the ride more rough but would actually keep the front down under boost.

Apparently I am the only person running this "aggressive" of a set up.

I was hoping that since this shock has giving me so much grief they would just give a new shock....am I out of line?

I could always pull the skid and sell it but by the time I put in a racers edge or m 10 with mounting brackets the cost never adds up.

I had to laugh, he was really trying to get me to buy front and rear shock because they work so good as a pair. In the ez ryde skid the front shock does not do much and is typically set extremely soft as the skid does not couple.

Thoughts?
PS I weigh 220 lbs mcx nytro 270 kit.

Last edited:

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
A piggyback would make sense in there. Mine was valved/sprung however it came from them as it was in the sled when I bought it. I like the skid for how I ride here in MN and it works well enough when I get out to the real hills out west. Since I didn't have much invested in the shocks I went for the Exits after I tore the hose off the second time. I also thought about flipping it over and mounting the resi to the rail, but never tried that.

As for giving you a new shock - I doubt it, but they might work with you a little. It's essentially an update. Whether that update is just an update or was done to rectify a problem, we'll never know.

I can see how if a person had it installed wrong they could have a problem, but really there isn't much to mess up with it. The shock is mounted to the shaft that is mounted to the tunnel so it really shouldn't move at all and if it doesn't contact the track in the shop, where you can cycle it and see what it going one - what do you do.

My front is set just tight enough that the spring doesn't rattle. Rear does pretty much all the work. The exits are definitely set up heavier than what I had in there when I got the sled. Once I get it out on snow I'll have an idea how it works.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I recall them telling me at one point they could not mount it upside down for some reason? For one the eyelets are different sizes.

hmmm 450 for a shock that is probably not set up right or 120 to fix mine that will probably just rip the hose off again. Wish I knew how long I plan to keep riding this sled :face-icon-small-fro

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Now that you mention it I think they are different sizes. I hear you on the $$ dilemma. Hard to justify, but having a working rear shock is nice. They wheelie like crazy when the shock is blown and you are just riding on the spring:)

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
is there anyway to attach the piggy back to the main body with a hose clamp instead of remote mounting it,or is there not enough room

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
is there anyway to attach the piggy back to the main body with a hose clamp instead of remote mounting it,or is there not enough room

Do you mean clamp it to the spring? There is not much room near the eyelets.

I remember the old m 10 used to have reservoir attached to rail wonder how much trouble they had with that.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
was thinking the top of the shock above the spring,but allot of shocks dont have room there.cant recall any m-10s having issues with the rail mount but the ezy does slide back & forth on the rail.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Can you mount the reservoir to the suspension arm near the shock similar to what BigFish BC is talking about with a hose clamp. I realize that arm is moving as the suspension travels but I cant image it is any more then having it mounted to the tunnel. you might have to lengthen the braided hose a little but that is not too hard to do.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Can you mount the reservoir to the suspension arm near the shock similar to what BigFish BC is talking about with a hose clamp. I realize that arm is moving as the suspension travels but I cant image it is any more then having it mounted to the tunnel. you might have to lengthen the braided hose a little but that is not too hard to do.

They like to attach the hose to from the top of the shock to the tunnel because there is very little movement.

Wonder how hard these shocks are to rebuild and charge.

Last edited:

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Was told that the picture is wrong......the shock faces the other way so the reservoir is in the front of the shock but does point upwards.

This is a shock that ez ryde has designed. You would think they would be able to give me a better deal then deal rate then?

Asked about zbros exit shock, they did not recommend felt that had poor performance in their skid..........whatever that means.

Asked about a rebuild kit......they thought they may have a hose in stock but would have to check.

I am not 100% sure what it required to rebuild these shocks. How do you recharge the nitrogen?

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Poor performance in their skid - guess I'll have to ride them and see:). Not sure of what the rebuild consists of. I know they need fluid since mine squirted all over the snow every time the shock cycled. I dropped mine at the fox service center that happens to be in town. Hour later they called and said it was done.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Poor performance in their skid - guess I'll have to ride them and see:). Not sure of what the rebuild consists of. I know they need fluid since mine squirted all over the snow every time the shock cycled. I dropped mine at the fox service center that happens to be in town. Hour later they called and said it was done.

What did they charge you to do that? They replaced the hose as well?

I think they charged me 60$ for rebuild and parts in past at ez ryde as I recall. At least 60$ in shipping as well.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I talked to a couple people at EZ about the exit shocks and they told me the same. They didn't like how stiff they were, and didn't get very good customer service (according to EZ about changing set ups). I've ran the exit shocks in my EZ-Ride and have had no problems and the ride is SO much better than the fox zero crap shocks. When you buy the shocks you have 30 days from the day of purchase that they will change springs and valving at no cost until you are satisfied with them. I've had excellent service from them and love how their shocks perform, just don't like the extra weight of them. I'll be buying them for future sleds.

S
Jan 10, 2008
Victor Idaho
I've repaired several
And never had a repeat complaint
The hoses I use are different

The shock EZ Ryde uses now works very well
And is made by them
So..... Yeah they are not going to recommend something else

All the shocks mentioned in this thread are nitrogen charged

I'm amazed you have not had more failures with the Foxs

I am a dealer for EZ Ryde, Exit, Fox etc