• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP files against Cat

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
if rider position and chassis design are at the center of this lawsuit I'm really suprised that polaris isn't involved too, the new polaris chassis is very similar to the xp.. Or perhaps polaris just read a little bit more of the fine print in the patents to avoid this hassle.

T
Dec 25, 2007
I think that it becomes very difficult to tell someone that they cannot allow a rider style change. If you spend some time looking at the internal guts of these new sleds they are all quite different. The poo pros are substantially thinner than anything BRP has made in modern times. They are also put together with glue. Nothing that BRP has approached. Now, I haven't actually seen the internal guts of the new AC to know how it is put together. Could be some similarity. Maybe not. But to assume BRP is being honest, AC is honest, Poo, well, anyone really these days, about who came up with what where and when would be foolish. Bottom line is dollars. They do not care about anything else. And right now it seems that doo is losing market share. So, why not get the money back some other way?:face-icon-small-dis

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
I think that it becomes very difficult to tell someone that they cannot allow a rider style change. If you spend some time looking at the internal guts of these new sleds they are all quite different. The poo pros are substantially thinner than anything BRP has made in modern times. They are also put together with glue. Nothing that BRP has approached. Now, I haven't actually seen the internal guts of the new AC to know how it is put together. Could be some similarity. Maybe not. But to assume BRP is being honest, AC is honest, Poo, well, anyone really these days, about who came up with what where and when would be foolish. Bottom line is dollars. They do not care about anything else. And right now it seems that doo is losing market share. So, why not get the money back some other way?:face-icon-small-dis

open a side panel of a prolaris pro and it is just like a rev. neater, cleaner, more refined, but the same pipe route, oil tank location,,,,,,,,very similar.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Go back to the 90s and 2000s. Everybody had the same pipe routing. Everyone had a similar location for the oil. Things have only started to go to different places more recently. Can you say with certainty that the angles, the metals, the balance point, etc are the same? No, because they aren't. The point I was trying to make was that the level of accountability of any business these days is suspect. The dollar, share holders, and the bottom line are all that matter. Sad but true.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
There have always been similarities between sleds....but how many of those characteristics were patented?
Cat might have been the first to put the engine in the front of a sled, but did they patent it? Iifthey had,then the other could not have followed the trend as soon as they did.....same thing with the rider forward thing....they did patent this, or at least that's what seems to be implied by this suit.
Just watch.....there will be some big changes coming from this in the next couple years. :face-icon-small-win

if rider position and chassis design are at the center of this lawsuit I'm really suprised that polaris isn't involved too, the new polaris chassis is very similar to the xp.. Or perhaps polaris just read a little bit more of the fine print in the patents to avoid this hassle.

I dont think alot of you realize that Polaris traded sidexside technology to BRP in return for sled Technology. I know alot of polaris idiots are going to say BULL but its true. There was article floating around somewhere on here about that. IF you notice the Pro looks alot like a doo and the can am commander is simular to the Polaris Razer and ranger.

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
"Anyone caught riding a Pro series Arctic Cat Snowmobile on any US public land, frozen waterway or trail system without written consent of BRP shall be subject to forfeiture of said snowmobile and or monetary penalty."

Pro owners may apply for BRP permission vouchers at
www.youaresoscrewed.com

Now that's funny right there....... I don't care who you ride..... Oh, I mean what you ride....... well, in some cases I guess this could be the same. :bolt:

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
I haven't ridden a ton of different sleds, but just look at the geometry of the Cats and the Poo's, they're just like the Doo's? When my friend pulled his Proclimb next to my XP I was thinking the same thing. CAT and Poo changed their chassis so the rider position is over the engine like the REVs and the XPs. Not going to bash brands but it seems pretty obvious Cat and Poo have integrated that REV chassis design/position into their own models?

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
a bind man could see the simalarities!-sho:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo maybe 4 bind men

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
And Doo stole it from Karpik who didn't sue because he knew it was going to cost him his business. Even Karpik said so.

And Doo has seen this happening for at least five years but says it needed time to look into it. Bet they have some swampland for sale too.

M

mulestar

Dec 2, 2007
It's in my humble opinion that Doo came out with a game-changer, and I ride an M sled. At the end of the day when the dust has settled, we all want rider forward technology, we will not "sit down" for anything else (get it?). I think that trying to hold the other companies back on this tech is futile, they are going to do it or lose sales big time. It's like trying to sue another boat company for building a boat that floats because someone thinks they have a patent on the first floating boat. I think Doo is trying to pull in some easy cash or trade for other technologies. I personally can't wait, the next few years are going to be amazing years for all three brands, I hope Doo comes out with something next year to keep the rest on their heels. We are the only ones who can benefit from this, as long as they can keep their prices down...

Can someone enlighten me on the "Karpick" SP? fellow? Never heard of him until this thread...

Nov 27, 2007
patents

Patents are the new game for everything. It started with grain . What happens when food has patents on it ??
The new economy, you pay more for everything.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I ride for Ski-Doo but I will use the analogy from any other business stand point on this, patents are filed on equipment so that the person who invented it and creates it and who spends the huge dollars it takes to invent and experiment with ideas has an opportunity to make the funds back and not have it stolen from under the persons nose. I am sure if anyone here invented a wicked idea that thousands or millions of people wanted that you would want the guy down the street just copying your idea and taking all your cash especially if they did not come up with the idea and spend the years it can take to invent something.

I have no idea on the patent or really care in this case however with other companies that friends own this is pretty serious to have patents so that ideas are not stolen.

As far as food being patented, I think that is crazy and something the USA is allowing, which is scary! You can make a difference by choosing what you eat, watch Food Inc. or Food Matters and make the changes you need to!

There is no doubt that the other manufactures are heading towards ride forward designs cause they work however their are rules, like in any other sport (mountain bikes) where companies have to figure out how they are going to do it without copying. This makes them think and spend big dollars to come out with their own solutions to problems and then it is fair since they had to spend equal dollars to bring make their machines better.

You may not like ski doo for doing this but I would be pretty surprised that you would not do the same if you invented it. Also if a company does not defend its patents then they are opening themselves to more people stealing their ideas and products in the future. It is the biggest reason why companies do sue, to make the copier back down or shift, no one wants to spend hard earned dollars in a court room, it sucks for both parties, they would much rather pocket the cash or spend it on R&D. And I am pretty sure we all would too!

Last edited:

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
From what I've noticed about the Poo chassis is it doesn't complete the "pyramid". The rear triangle doesn't run down the tunnel, it bends and stops at the bulkhead/tunnel. This might be different enough to get around the patent. The cat doesn't. "Rider Forward" could be interpreted broadly...

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
Dumb

What the sled industries should be doing is suing the environmentalists that are trying to shut our sport down, not each other. Before long we will have a bunch of awsome patend snowmobiles that will look great in the garage and have no place to ride them. Also if Skidoo didn't have competition on their chasis why would they ever improve it. Not brand biased either, I have and do ride them all.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I believed they copied Doo....have you seen how many belt the new Cats are going through all of a sudden??? :face-icon-small-ton

OOHHHHHH....rooster gets im' with a kick to the face. HAHAHA
400208117.jpg

....oh i hadda good laff from that belt comment...priceless, :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Cat has a laydown engine and isolated/fixed clutching that BRP probably would like to legally have on their 2013 sleds.

Apr 2, 2009
Been riding with the new pro climb cats the last couple days, i wouldn't want nothing todo with their clutching.... There blowing belts like 08 summits were or worse!!! Guys i ride with are getting 20 miles or less a belt.... I got a 12 X 154 that i haven't taken the belt cover off yet and i can change a belt one a pro climb with my eyes closed!!

Premium Features