• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

small superchargers?

JoeySlushr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
LeCenter, MN
so i was thinkin last night...how could a guy run a supercharger off a snowmobile engine? (no accessory drive) and where could u find a small supercharger? i was thinkin maybe a small turbo with a pulley instead of an exhaust housing and possibly a belt that could run between the block and clutch perhaps? any ideas? :smokin:

M
Nov 26, 2007
There are kits out there using the supercharger on 2 smoke sleds allready. Do a search for them there was a thread with info on the charger for the M series....Ican't remember the name, or if they are for sale to the public yet.

I know one of the kits drives the charger off the crank, inbetween the primary and the block.

Last edited:
B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
so i was thinkin last night...how could a guy run a supercharger off a snowmobile engine? (no accessory drive) and where could u find a small supercharger? i was thinkin maybe a small turbo with a pulley instead of an exhaust housing and possibly a belt that could run between the block and clutch perhaps? any ideas? :smokin:

Ripcharger is one company. they drive it off the PTO side with a gear drive set up. I have also seen a Procharger driven with a belt off the mag side. All of these supercharger compressors must be stepped up twice to achieve enough impeller speed. For example a Rotrex c15-60 has a 12.7 -1 step up traction drive ( planitary setup but no gears...runs smooth surface panet to a smooth outer (anulis). the drive has an output shaft that spins an impeller in a compressor housing just like a turbo. the engine runs at 8200, the gear or belt and pulley will step up the drive ratio with a smaller pulley on the input shaft than on the crank and then the drive unit on the supercharger steps up the impeller speed again. Typical impeller speed on a rotrex c15-60 is between 150-220k rpm depending on engine rpm and overdrive on the belt and pulley, engine displacement, static compression, cam selection (4 stroke) all help determine boost level. It can be done but requires more than just a compressor housing being spun by the crank. On a 2 stroke there is also some trick that has to be done with the exhaust. My apologies for the long a$$ answer.

Last edited:
M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
The trick with the exhaust is trying to keep enough back pressure to be able to keep the compressed air in the cylinders where it is needed. If that can't be achieved then the air would just blow right through the system and build minimal pressure. With a turbo the ehaust housing provides the back pressure. Its all about ballance. I live close to where the rip charger is being developed and I have heard good things about it so far. Apparently it will be ready for sale this fall.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
The trick with the exhaust is trying to keep enough back pressure to be able to keep the compressed air in the cylinders where it is needed. If that can't be achieved then the air would just blow right through the system and build minimal pressure. With a turbo the ehaust housing provides the back pressure. Its all about ballance. I live close to where the rip charger is being developed and I have heard good things about it so far. Apparently it will be ready for sale this fall.

Yeah, that's been the reason why you haven't seen a supercharger before for a 2-stroke motor. If they have found a way around that problem, then you're looking at the future of power in the sled industry.:face-icon-small-hap

S
Sep 22, 2009
Southern MN
Yeah, that's been the reason why you haven't seen a supercharger before for a 2-stroke motor. If they have found a way around that problem, then you're looking at the future of power in the sled industry.:face-icon-small-hap
X2, I would say it already is the Future of power! Im Sold already, I emailed them about a M1000 Kit, Dont know the cost yet but he says "this sled will be a Monster!" Hopefully they are priced considerably lower than a turbo, alot less parts go into it that's for sure.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
looks like and sounds like a d&d big barker can on there... probably modified no doubt... boy when this flies there sure will be lots of annoying and obnoxious sleds out there eh?! LOL!!!! let er rip!!!!!!!!!!!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i registered to ripchargers site for updates as they progress..i agree that if they clear the hurdles and make it work...well supercharging is in a league all in its own..

JoeySlushr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
LeCenter, MN
this is interesting..id like to see one and see it run and how it works. seems they dont divulge much info on their site, suppose they cant give up to many secrets quite yet

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
this is interesting..id like to see one and see it run and how it works. seems they dont divulge much info on their site, suppose they cant give up to many secrets quite yet

You are correct, still new secrets to be found on the setup of these charged 2 smokes.

Finding the correct way to create the back pressure seems to be the hurtle to over come.

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
one would think all it would need to be is something similar to a reed valve on the exhaust side.

Yeah.... Needs to be a variable valve with some way to adjust it to achieve the correct back pressure. Maybe a modified pipe with a valve of some sort.?:face-icon-small-con

Then you could run whatever can you wanted. Make it a nice quite sleeper!:devil:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
alot less parts go into it that's for sure.

And what is also a big consideration for me, MUCH easier install & removal. From what I hear of the Iowa boys, the kit will be about 1.5 hr install. That's phenomenal. I go through a sled every two years (if they make it that long) and would love to be able to keep the boost & move to the next sled!!! (without 15 hrs of work & the complexity that makes it more likely that I'll screw it up!)

SO excited to see one of these run consistently!!!

J

jdm1985

May 13, 2009
Ambrose ND
i watched the video on their site, holy s***. i ride in the flat country, but i dont care if my sled ripped like that, i dont know bout you guys but i think im sold. also joined their mailing list.

S
Sep 22, 2009
Southern MN
I emailed them for rough pricing..... He said $5000 ish... Ouch. Not really much cheaper than a turbo like they said...Turbos start at $4800.00 and go up from there. Yeah way easy install compared to a turbo but...? Alot less part, should be quite a bit cheaper I would think.:face-icon-small-con When is someone Going to make some Affordable Horse Power? that's alot of coin.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I emailed them for rough pricing..... He said $5000 ish... Ouch. Not really much cheaper than a turbo like they said...Turbos start at $4800.00 and go up from there. Yeah way easy install compared to a turbo but...? Alot less part, should be quite a bit cheaper I would think.:face-icon-small-con When is someone Going to make some Affordable Horse Power? that's alot of coin.

If you figure 5k for the 1st one, it won't take long for them to be at 4. Also keep in mind you're likely saving about 750 on install (ish) so that figures into the equation as well.

J

jdm1985

May 13, 2009
Ambrose ND
ya that is a lot of money, i was hoping for something around that 3 mark or so. i know its new tech and everything, but that does seem kinda steep especially compared too all the parts involved with a turbo.

JoeySlushr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
LeCenter, MN
thats wwwwaaayyy to much. i would think they would want to start low and get a bunch of people into them and running around then bring the price up. im no business expert but i think thats what i would do. and how much r those guys spending on turbos??? thats not significantly cheaper in my eyes!

Premium Features